Cruising labor day week?

SJChaput

I am going on my Honeymoon leaving the day before labor day. Family members are telling me to expect a lot of kids on the cruise because of the holiday weekend.

My theory is that almost all kids go back to school the day after labor day when the cruise would be at sea... and what kind of parents would take their kids on a week long cruise so they miss the first week of school.

I think it is an unlikely time to have a TON of kids on board. Plus people who are going to do something on the long labor day weekend I would think would do something starting Saturday not Sunday afternoon.

What kind of people would you expect to be on a labor day cruise?

Logically, assuming people are responsible I would expect few parents, few children, few college kids... Mostly young single people / couples and older people.

That is assuming people are home going back to school or bringing their kids back to school.

I have never been on a cruise though never mind a labor day cruise.

I would think more schools now return to school back in August. I know here in Virginia most of the areas around where we are start back August 24. I would doubt many parents would take their kids out when they are in the first couple week of school. Now something for just the weeked I could certainly see having more kids.

I'll be on a cruise that week:D

I can't imagine there being an abundance of kids that week for the exact reasons that you stated...the beginning of school for many. Let's put it this way, there shouldn't be as many as in June, July or August.

Happy Honeymoon. I'm imagining that you won't even notice how many kids are around;)

I would think more schools now return to school back in August. I know here in Virginia most of the areas around where we are start back August 24. I would doubt many parents would take their kids out when they are in the first couple week of school. Now something for just the weeked I could certainly see having more kids.

Around where I live it is still generally September 6th or so... But even with the dates you mention it would still be irresponsible to take kids out of school for a week.

Not that I mind kids, but a few hundred less screaming on the ship is a good thing :)

I'll be cruising that week, too. When I grew up, the entire Northeast always started school the Tuesday after Labor Day. I understand that the South and some parts of the Midwest start around the third week of August (no clue about those of you on the West coast, sorry).

My thinking was that we'd have fewer kids because it would be so early in the school year. I'm not really losing sleep over it either way, but I think your conclusion is reasonable.

We're a childless couple (currently expecting our first), cruising with his parents, a retired couple. Don't know if we're typical, but fwiw.

We cruise the labor day week every year. It is a perfect time to cruise in our opinion (of course ;)). The only time that we had a bunch of kids was one of the weeks when we cruised from Puerto Rico. Usually, there are barely any kids at all.:)

I have cruised this week for the past few years.

Now I am a parent that has pulled both of their kids out of school to go on vacation this week. They have been registered for Circle C and Club o2. From what we were told there somewhere between 200 - 300 kids usually during this week including all age groups.

In there age group they both had around 40-50 kids.

Hope that helps you some.

See you on the legend in 37 days

I don't expect there to be NO kids and I certainly don't think less of parents who pull their kids from school to go on Vacation...

I am just hoping (and I REALLY don't care either way) that there will be fewer kids than on a normal cruise because of school just being back in session.

I am thinking fewer children and drunk college kids.

Really looking forward to my Honeycruise and will have a great time either way.

SEE YOU ON THE LEGEND!

we will be on the valor on sept 6...with a 13 yr old. He is a straight A student in gifted classes...they only review the first month....they get summer work in math and reading to keep their brains sharp. He is so bored the first month, with him boredom = bad grades. He will also get a portion of the cruise excused as he is seeing the ruins in belize. This is going to be a great vacation....we can't wait. We are thinking next year...Europe!

We have cruised over labor day week for several years and always been pleasantly surprised with how few children there are at that time. I think it will be much better than what you would see in the summer months. Just before Labor Day is when we tend to find the best deals. I know some of the reason is hurricane season, but I think it's also a time when a lot of schools are going back. Have a great cruise!

Logically, assuming people are responsible I would expect few parents, few children, few college kids... Mostly young single people / couples and older people.

------------------

I have never been on a cruise though never mind a labor day cruise.

OUCH! older people.........

Well listen here you little whippersnapper.... In my day we walked uphill both ways to school in the snow barefooted caring 200 lbs of books on our back...

Well I will be on the Pride out of Baltimore that week.

Guess you are only as old as you feel

Please allow me to introduce myself! We are some of the evil, vile, awful people that will be taking our grandson on a cruise the first week of school!

We should have Child Welfare come and take him from us! We are sooo bad!

Oh yeah, the school says "No Problem"

But according to the broad brush of the OP, we are lower than whale **** on the bottom of the ocean.

Yeah, there will be fewer kids than the average summer cruise, but either way, i doubt it would ruin your cruise.

I think it is an unlikely time to have a TON of kids on board.

Gosh, I hope you're right! :D

What kind of people would you expect to be on a labor day cruise?

Mostly insane! Oh wait, that's just us. :D

We also sail over Labor Day! We're on Victory leaving September 6th!

Have fun. ;)

Around where I live it is still generally September 6th or so... But even with the dates you mention it would still be irresponsible to take kids out of school for a week.

Not that I mind kids, but a few hundred less screaming on the ship is a good thing :)

I have yet to be on a cruise with a lot of screaming kids, kids yes, but not running amok. We even did Disney. :D

There will still be several kids on the cruise...but nowhere near the number of kids in the summer or over spring break. Keep in mind that thousands of kids are home schooled - so with the lower rates, that is the perfect time for these families to take a vacation.

I will be pulling my 3 daughters out of school for 3 days in order to cruise that week...but, since I am taking them to Chichen Itza and doing the Dolphin Encounter - I consider it a field trip!

You probably won't even notice the kids that much because many of them will be doing their own things with Camp Carnival. There will probably be one or two rude kids whose parents let them run wild...but there will probably be tripple that number of adults who will be rude and running wild! :D

Have a great cruise!

Ashley :)

Hi there! We homeschool and will have our 2 kids on a Sept. 6th cruise (Carnival Conquest) this year. It is a homeschool group cruise with 125 other families. :) They aren't allowed to run around and scream though.

Please allow me to introduce myself! We are some of the evil, vile, awful people that will be taking our grandson on a cruise the first week of school!

We should have Child Welfare come and take him from us! We are sooo bad!

Oh yeah, the school says "No Problem"

But according to the broad brush of the OP, we are lower than whale **** on the bottom of the ocean.

Yeah, there will be fewer kids than the average summer cruise, but either way, i doubt it would ruin your cruise.

Speaking of a broad brush...

I think you may have read a little bit more into what I said than you should have :)

We are going on our 4th cruise that same week. It happens to be our anniversary on 9/7, and all but one of our cruises were anniversary celebrations. The one time we didn't go in September was because we wanted our own college-aged kids to experience cruising so we went in June. Now, I love kids, but that was just nuts! Kids EVERYWHERE! Loud, obnoxious, well-mannered and quiet.....all types of kids monopolizing the pools, etc. They were just having fun, and had every right....but I was really happy to go back to my peaceful September cruise the next year. Mostly couples of all ages and a small percentage of kids just to keep it fun :)

Archived