Shareholder of CC stock

I was reading a document from Carnival regarding the stock an OBC. You only get $250 if the cruise is 14 days or longer. 7-13 days the OBC is only $100. Has anyone experienced anything different?

Those are the amounts, which is sometimes financially beneficial for one to split those B2B's into 2 cruises instead of one.

I bought my 100 shares sometime last year. Did it solely for the on board credit. Luckily bought it when it was low. I know my father is laughing down upon me for buying such a stock for obc. But I also know he is smiling because it has increased 65% or so since I bought it. (Guess dad taught me well on buying some stocks.....won't go into the LeapFrog fiasco that I insisted was a good buy. LOL)

I intend to be waiting at the Scottrade door when they open this morning here in CA at 9am. CCL stock closed at $27.99 on Friday and is currently trading at $28.64. The low was $14+ and the high was $42+. Like most people we got burned pretty bad last year when the economy tanked but were "lucky":confused: enough to extricate our remaining savings from Morgan Stanley and invest them in 4 and 5% CDs, which, of course are not currently available. So I have no illusions that nothing can go wrong purchasing this stock, but given the amount we travel, those OBC's make it the deal clincher. Obviously the cruise industry has been hit hard by the economy, but I think it will rebound. How lovely it would be if they even paid dividends again!

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/CCL

It is being shown as "one of the fastest growing stocks". I will let you guys know how this process works. This is how I understand it works (for you novices like me): If the stock is at $28.65 when I buy this morning, I understand I will give Scottrade a check for $2,865.oo + $7.00. Then I go home and log on to Scottrade and purchase the stock online, for which they take my $7.00. If I have the guy at Scottrade do the deal at the office, they will charge me $20.00 rather than $7.00. Others like Chas Schwab, etc. do the same thing I think. Paper stock certificates are not readily available anymore - you can get them but it's extra steps. Denise

I wanted to make this a separate post because it is a specific question which I hope someone can answer:

Originally (apparently) you only had to own 5 shares to get the OBC; currently it is 100 shares. If they change the number of shares to, say, 200 or even 500, would we all have to buy those additional shares to get the OBC? Denise

I wanted to make this a separate post because it is a specific question which I hope someone can answer:

Originally (apparently) you only had to own 5 shares to get the OBC; currently it is 100 shares. If they change the number of shares to, say, 200 or even 500, would we all have to buy those additional shares to get the OBC? Denise

Probably yes unless they "Grandfather" us..

I think you got that statment from me; the fact that only 5 shares were needed. This goes way way back, and it only lasted the first year they were giving OBC. I wouldn't worry about them raising the number of shares needed. 100 shares seems quite adequate.

BTW, I know you're not asking for comment, but I would let the guy at the brokerage agency do the trade; extra $13 is worth it to have it done, over, finished, complete. And, you would walk out of there with hard copy showing ownership.

I think you got that statment from me; the fact that only 5 shares were needed. This goes way way back, and it only lasted the first year they were giving OBC. I wouldn't worry about them raising the number of shares needed. 100 shares seems quite adequate.

BTW, I know you're not asking for comment, but I would let the guy at the brokerage agency do the trade; extra $13 is worth it to have it done, over, finished, complete. And, you would walk out of there with hard copy showing ownership.

This is DH responding, Denise is on her way to brookerage agency as we speak. She is going to have him do it all and thank you for the information.

Alan

This is DH responding, Denise is on her way to brookerage agency as we speak. She is going to have him do it all and thank you for the information.

Alan

She is sure anxious, Alan. It's not yet 8:00 AM. :D Then again, CCL is on its way up this morning. Up .77 when I looked.

Thanks Pia - I'm back from Scottrade. Because I was giving them a check for the hundred shares, I will have to wait until the check clears, which the guy said should be in a couple of hours.And yes you are right it is up this morning. Had I bought on Friday, the cost would have been $2,799. Right now, it is $2,875, so that's how fast things are moving. I now have an online account and as soon as I see my check has cleared I'll go ahead and buy the 100 shares.

Like a lot of people, I withdrew all our remaining funds from a managed account last year and got (relatively speaking) high rate CDs which are no longer offered. When they time out, I will have to think about investments. Very scarey to say the least but at least the Scottrade client site allows you to do research, even if they don't offer any advice.

Sorry I missed this earlier. When I opened an online account, it only took a few minutes to make the deposit to purchase our stocks if we did it while registering. After that, it took three or four days to put the money in to purchase more. But when I first signed up for the online account (Ameritrade, instead of ScottTrade) it allowed me to make an initial deposit which could be used immediately to purchase stocks online. I am sure they are all the same in this aspect. We had to pay for the first stock purchase, but then we received 100 trades at no charge (within a certain alloted time of coarse). ;)

Might have been able to save you a trip down to the office.

That's what I get for not paying attention and deciding to clean instead. lol

Sorry I missed this earlier. When I opened an online account, it only took a few minutes to make the deposit to purchase our stocks if we did it while registering. After that, it took three or four days to put the money in to purchase more. But when I first signed up for the online account (Ameritrade, instead of ScottTrade) it allowed me to make an initial deposit which could be used immediately to purchase stocks online. I am sure they are all the same in this aspect. We had to pay for the first stock purchase, but then we received 100 trades at no charge (within a certain alloted time of coarse). ;)

Might have been able to save you a trip down to the office.

That's what I get for not paying attention and deciding to clean instead. lol

Fidelity does the same thing; 100 free trades at no charge. I don't recall what they told me about the time limit (I could look it up), but I believe it's for one year. We paid them a personal visit, but we were transferring an entire account to them.

Denise

You may want to consider "laddering" your CD's---

In other words purchase CD's that have varied

maturity dates. i.e. one matures each month, or

every couple months.

You can do this by parking matured CD's cash in a

money market and using it to purchase CD's

at varied intervals.

This gives you much better control over investing

funds and monitoring CD rates. When we had

5% rates that seemed to continue on and on, this

would not make fiscal sense, but now days the rates

seem to change often. (mostly downward :()

Earl

Thanks Earl. Laddering sounds like a very good idea. I did manage to buy the CCL stock --- for $29.25, which is up $2.26 a share over Friday's close. Now of course:mad: I will probably sit and watch it go down. But at least I have it and I know we'll be getting $250 for each of our two upcoming cruises, which is a right smart return on our investment. Cruise Critic to the rescue again! Denise

Thanks Earl. Laddering sounds like a very good idea. I did manage to buy the CCL stock --- for $29.25, which is up $2.26 a share over Friday's close. Now of course:mad: I will probably sit and watch it go down. But at least I have it and I know we'll be getting $250 for each of our two upcoming cruises, which is a right smart return on our investment. Cruise Critic to the rescue again! Denise

According to my addition, August 24th is final payment day for your first cruise. Give it a few days to go through and then send the info to Liza. As soon as you see that first $250 confirmed, you will be very happy you bought that stock. Enjoy! :D

• 1 month later...

HA! - just as everybody told me it was a snap to get our shareholder credit. Lisa's going to give it to us for both of our upcoming cruises, but in the future, we will have to fax her a current statement showing we still own it. Not a problem for me that's for sure. Anyway, I think it could turn out to be a good investment since we intend to hold on to it for the foreseeable future.

Now I've posted a new thread asking if Princess has reduced the amounts it gives for FCCs?????

Lisa's going to give it to us for both of our upcoming cruises, but in the future, we will have to fax her a current statement showing we still own it. Now I've posted a new thread asking if Princess has reduced the amounts it gives for FCCs?????

Yes, each future cruise you will have to again fax over a current statement of ownership of the stocks, they do not hold onto them and look it up to make sure you still own them. You have to request it each time and show proof. But it's definitely worth the effort.

Question about FCC credit was answered on the seperate thread. ;)

Yes, each future cruise you will have to again fax over a current statement of ownership of the stocks, they do not hold onto them and look it up to make sure you still own them. You have to request it each time and show proof. But it's definitely worth the effort.

Question about FCC credit was answered on the seperate thread. ;)

In most cases, Carnival Corporation does not even know who owns their stock. Most is held in the name of the broker we each deal with. Sothey cannot look up and see if I still own the stock. It is only if you have a stock certifiate or have bought the stock thru them that they know about your ownership.

In most cases, Carnival Corporation does not even know who owns their stock. Most is held in the name of the broker we each deal with. Sothey cannot look up and see if I still own the stock. It is only if you have a stock certifiate or have bought the stock thru them that they know about your ownership.

They don't verify stock ownership, they just solely depend on the stock statement? That doesn't sound right to me Paul, maybe I am missing something here?

When you buy stock thru a broker, the company you are buying is not notified of your name. So Carnival does not have a list of all the individual holders of their stock. That is why we have to send proof of ownership.

Carnival knows me enough to send me the annual report each year.

Do they send it directly? All my mailings from companies I am invested in comes thru my financial planner.

If you are a stockholder you will get it - you don't have to be known or know someone to get it - or to save paper you can access it on the internet.

Ron

This is the only stock we own. We were burnt very badly like most everybody when the economy tanked and our so called professional money manager (now known as the boy idiot) let us ride the slippery slope down. Fortunately we bailed on our guy early enough to salvage some cruising money!

We bought the CCL stock through Scottrade and we access the document we need to prove ownership on line. This is truly a wonderful deal!

Do they send it directly? All my mailings from companies I am invested in comes thru my financial planner.

We don't have a "financial planner", so yes, it comes directly from the company. I like to see it online though even before the hard copy arrives, just to make sure they've extended the usual July 31stcutoff to the following year. .

• 1 month later...

Sent Lisa the information of proof of ownership of 100 shares of CCL. Got e-mail from her confirming the $100 shareholder OBC. My question is, when will it appear in the My Princess Circle Savings Account? Or does it not appear until the date the ship sales? I got the shareholder OBC last fall but my gray matter is not functioning up to speed (memory) as to when we got the OBC applied.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks

Bill

Archived