DIY Mount Vesuvius

Rhisibabe

In May we hiked up Mt. Vesuvius. We got off the ship at 9:10 and walked out of the port area to the tobacco shop across the street and got a bus ticket. Took the # 1 bus to the train station. Caught the 10:09 train to Sorrento and got off at the Ercolano Scavi station. From there it was easy to get a van for 16.50 euros to the mountain. Once you leave the train station look to the left and you will see the Vesuvius shuttle. The van waits for 90 minutes for you to climb to the top, walk the rim, and climb down. The van dropped us off at 11:30 and we had until 1 to get back. We were up above the clouds. It was a little hazy but you could still see Naples OK. Up at the top are clean porta potties and several souvenir shops that sell cold drinks. The walk to the top is a bit strenuous so bring plenty of water and good shoes if you go there.

Eileen - Do you recall the times of operation of the vesuvius shuttles? I too am trying to research this DIY and having trouble finding information. I was thinking of doing this on the way back from Sorrento (dock in Naples, train to Sorrento then back to Vesuvius). We will be traveling in September. I would appreciate your thoughts.

The shuttle is really a taxi van that the Vesuvius company calls when there are enough people. Usually when the train stops there are enough for one or two vans. There are no set times. If there aren't enough you may end up waiting a while but I don't think that happens too often. Just don't wait to late in the day. It took us longer than we thought it would. I would consider doing Vesuvius first since you din't have any control over the time. However if you plan on shopping in Sorrento you will need to go there first.

Yes it is a different station. Scavi is italian for excavation. Erculano is Herculanium. The road up to Mt Vesuvius is at the station near the ruins of Herculanium. The name of the station you get off for Mt Vesuvius is Erculano Scavi. When you get on the train there should be a list of all the stops somewhere in the car so you will know which station comes before the one you want.

Eileen - I'm curious as to your comment that if we are going to shop in Sorrento we need to do that before climbing Vesuvius - what is your reasoning for this? I'm just trying to figure out the right order to do these three stops and your point that the time may be more difficult to control with Vesuvius is a good one.

I thought that some of the stores were closed in the afternoon. You might want to check this out. Of course if you shop in Sorrento first you will need to put your purchases somewhere when you climb Vesuvius.

Yes it is a different station. Scavi is italian for excavation. Erculano is Herculanium. The road up to Mt Vesuvius is at the station near the ruins of Herculanium. The name of the station you get off for Mt Vesuvius is Erculano Scavi. When you get on the train there should be a list of all the stops somewhere in the car so you will know which station comes before the one you want.

Thanks. I have in my notes from another post that you get off at Pompeii Scave and take the Vesuviana Mobilita bus. Can you get to Vesuvius from both stops? I might have to do some more looking Anyway, did you then get back on the train and go to Pompeii?

Eileen - Thank you so much for your info so far. I had not even taken the siesta time into consideration. I would have been incredibly disappointed arriving in Sorrento for the afternoon to find the shops closed. So, although not my first choice, it looks like we will go to Sorrento to shop for the morning and then take the train to Mt. Vesuvius. This brings about a couple of questions. Do you know if you can buy a train ticket in Sorrento to cover going to the Erconolo stop and back to Naples? (I'm thinking of taking the hydrofoil from Naples to Sorrento to start.) Do you think it would be safe to leave our purchases from Sorrento in the bus that takes us up Mt. Vesuvius? Does the same bus wait for you to come back or do they just take turns circulating up the mountain? I'm not really excited about being a pack mule and carrying my wares up the mountain (but if that's what it takes, that's what I'll do!:D). Finally, if we had lunch in Sorrento then went to Mt Vesuvius after that would we have enough time to be back to Naples by 6 pm (7 pm departure)?

Taking the Fast ferry from Naples to Sorrento is a good idea. Unless you eat a really early lunch you can pick up apanni or pizza at deli and eat it waiting for the train. I would try to get to the Vesuvius shuttle by one. I believe you can buy a ticket from Sorrento to Naples and just get off at Eurcalon Sacvi and get back on latter (you might want to check that). The shuttles are vans that seat 10-12 people and the driver will wait for you so it should be OK to leave your packages. Just check with the driver.

Do you know if you can buy a train ticket in Sorrento to cover going to the Erconolo stop and back to Naples? (I'm thinking of taking the hydrofoil from Naples to Sorrento to start.)
FYI, tickets for the Circumvesviana train are good for 180 minutes from origin, so you wouldn't be able to use one ticket to cover the trip from Sorrento to Ercolano and from Ercolano to Naples, you'd need two distinct tickets. It doesn't cost much more (maybe a Euro or two).

FYI, tickets for the Circumvesviana train are good for 180 minutes from origin, so you wouldn't be able to use one ticket to cover the trip from Sorrento to Ercolano and from Ercolano to Naples, you'd need two distinct tickets. It doesn't cost much more (maybe a Euro or two).

So if we want to go to Pompeii and then on to Sorrento if we have time we should buy a ticket to Pompeii Scavi and then buy one from Pompeii Scavi to Sorrento if we decide to go there? (also not sure if you just buy a ticket for the train and the cost is the same no matter where you get off)

My wife and I cruised many Italian ports in May of 2008. In Naples my wife found a small shop called Carpisa. She bought a purse there that she just adores. I tried to get her another one but there is no way to order online. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Archived