Ballantyne Pier - what would you do?

We return to Ballantyne on August 15 and we have a car rental reservation at Budget on W. Georgia street. We are getting the car and driving to Whistler as our flight is not until very late on Saturday night.

I was thinking I would self-disembark early enough to be one of the first off the ship and then I would go get the car and come back for my 3 companions. But, what is the private-car pickup like at Ballantyne Pier?

I've read so much on cruisecritic about dedicated limo lines, long waits for taxis, etc., that I'm a little confused. Is it going to be more hassle for me to go get the car and then circle back to pick up my travel-mates? Would it be better for us to all try to squeeze into one taxi and go to the car rental place together? We want to get out of the city farily early and I was thinking that getting a van-taxi to hold all of us may take extra time, and cause more hassle.

What would you do?

Thanks!

Double check with Budget but your plan is exactly what I would do. Budget has a kiosk at the pier and should shuttle you to the Georgia St. location. The question in my mind is the fact that they do have a location on the edge of Chinatown at 99 W. Pender and they may want to shuttle you to that location as it is slightly closer to Ballantyne than the Georgia St. location.

Putterdude: thanks for responding. We also have a rental with Budget pre-Cruise so I will doublecheck with them then. I didn't realize that there would be a shuttle to the rental car facility. In that case, would it not be better for all 4 of us to take that shuttle and skip the return to the port for me to pick them up?

How crazy is the private car pickup area at Ballantyne - is it farily easy to access and to maneuver around?

Thanks again,

David

Putterdude: thanks for responding. We also have a rental with Budget pre-Cruise so I will doublecheck with them then. I didn't realize that there would be a shuttle to the rental car facility. In that case, would it not be better for all 4 of us to take that shuttle and skip the return to the port for me to pick them up?

How crazy is the private car pickup area at Ballantyne - is it farily easy to access and to maneuver around?

It's a minor hassle as Ballantyne Pier is the other side of port security, if they have a shuttle, all of you taking it to the port is a lot easier.

Hi,

Budget has a rep at the pier exit with their sign (you wont miss it) to direct you to the shuttle pick up location.

They will send a mini or full size van to pick u up depend on how busy they are.

Use their shuttle and this will save you more time.

hi

we are not renting a car, but we will disembark there on sunday, 8/23, and will need a ride to airport ASAP. (have flight before noon)

Is it better to take a taxi or arrange shuttle with cruiseline?

thanks for any info!

sheila

hi

we are not renting a car, but we will disembark there on sunday, 8/23, and will need a ride to airport ASAP. (have flight before noon)

Is it better to take a taxi or arrange shuttle with cruiseline?

thanks for any info!

sheila

On a flt. before noon I have mixed feelings. If you are booked with your own air and the cruise line has no connection to you other than a transfer ?. I'm going to waffle.

We generally don't even recommend that you attempt a before noon flight actually. With all the variables at the dock, late arrival, clearing the ship etc.

If you can get off the ship with your luggage and be one of the first to get a cab I guess would be the best idea.

A cruise line transfer that has an earliest departure from the pier would likely be the next best.

good luck

Shebinz

We docked at Ballantyne on the Mercury and I did the self disembark. Get to the lounge where the self disembark passengers are to wait early and pick your spot. You want to wait in the disembarkation lounge at the exit closet to where you will actually disembark the ship. On the Mercury this was at the front of the lounge on the starboard side. I was one of the first passengers off the ship at 7:35 am and within half an hour I had cleared customs and was in a taxi on my way. I was at my destination by 9 am. That's using 2 taxi rides and a Skytrain (local transit) ride.

On another cruise (docking at Canada Place) and with self disembarkation we had to wait in our cabins until they announced disembarkation. We were still off the ship and through customs in a short time. Just get organized and ready to go early and you should be okay.

The traffic will be light on Sunday morning, so there shouldn't be any delays in the cab ride to the airport. Another option is the Canada Line rapid transit line which opens on Aug 18th. You'd still have to take a cab over to Waterfront Station by Canada Place and transfer to the Canada Line. The trip is about 25 minutes and on a Sunday morning the fare would be $2.50. Since you're short on time I'd recommend the taxi. I've been caught in delays on on the other Skytrain lines more than a few times over the years and it isn't a nice experience. It's not something I'd chance when time is short.

Enjoy your cruise and I hope your disembarkation is as quick and painless as mine have been.

Archived