classic norway aug 9

tigger3

We are visiting Bergen,Olden,Flam and Eidfjord. Can anyone give us any advice on what is worth visiting,we want to do our own thing rather than take the arranged tours.Are there shuttle buses and plenty of taxis at the ports?My husband is partially disabled so we take a wheelchair with us.

We have not been on a Fred Olsen cruise before,but all the reviews I have read seem to be very positive.We would welcome any tips y.ou might be able to give us.Thank you in advance!

I did the same itinerary in June and had a marvellous time! :D We did DIY at all the ports. Shuttle buses aren't needed as the ship berths either right at the town centre or within a 10 minute walk. I didn't notice taxis but to be honest I wasn't looking for them! Here's what we did with a few "extras" that I noticed.

Bergen..........we did the funicular railway.........some wonderful views from the top. Briggen is the old part of town with wooden buildings and there's a fish market. There was also a "tourist train"........a little open sided train leaving at various times......... available to show some of the sights. The walk from the ship was about 10 minutes along a flat road.

Olden............some souvenir shops right where the ship docks. Again a tourist train was here which I believe went to a glacier? The town was a 10 minute walk and the old church is a must see.

Flam..........again the ship docks by the town. We did the Flam railway. Wonderful views! Definitely a must do but get one of the earliest trains and sit on the right hand side of the carriage. Again a tourist train was available here and boats doing fjord cruises.

Eidfjord...............we took a nice walk along the river to a lake.......a level, wide path. There were mini buses available at the tourist information centre to a waterfall. Horse and carriage rides were also available. We also found an Englishman with a market stall selling souvenirs much cheaper than the local shops!

Hope this helps! :)

We have visted Eidfjord and Bergen on the Balmoral.

In Eidfjord we took a walk and then returned to just take in the spectacular view on Highland Deck in the heated pool and jacuzzi. The fjords are just amazing places if you think of their creation and the history of the people there (pre cruise lines!).

At Bergen I think it took us about ten minutes to walk into town and as far as recall it was flat and along a main road, so would have had pavements. That walk took us almost straight to the Bryggen (old town buildings) and market.

We also went up the funicular. It was very busy, and I would not have liked to negotiate our particular trip with a wheelchair (if it was even possible). I would try and find out a bit more before you go - perhaps email the funicular - as we really enjoyed the trip to the top and view but you need to know they will be able to cater for you. We then chose to walk down from the top (because we had the children with us) but that is not advisable with a wheelchair as it is stony ground and zig zags.

Have a lovely time. The fjords are a wonderful cruise because there is so much moving scenery to enjoy. We had one 'sea day' that seemed nothing of the sort as we wound our way along the norwegian coastline, under bridges (just) and past towns and villages.

Archived