Question on wide angle lenses

mrbill62

I have a nikon D-60 with a nikkor dx 18-200 mm lenes. Iam thinking about getting a wide angle lenes.My choice is a Sigma 10-20 mmF/4-5.6 exdc hsm.What does ex dc hsm stand for? Or a tokina 12-24mm at-xaf124dxn Again what does all these letters and number stand for/ Last question is of the two lenes what is the best/ Thanks for the feed back

mrbill62 Tracy ca

A link to my glossary sheet:

http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/PhotoTerms.htm

Sigma

ex - Their premium lens line

dc - APS-C sensor only (like in you D60)- Cannot be used on a film or full-frame camera without vignetting

hsm - Uses a hyper-sonic motor to focus. (Will work with your D60 which doesn't have and in-body focusing motor)

Tokina

at-x - Advanced Technology-Extra - Tokina's premium lens line.

af - Autofocus

124 - Model number - 10-24mm

dx - APS-C sensor only (like in you D60)- Cannot be used on a film or full-frame camera without vignetting

n - Notr listed in their glossary, but retailers us the N to designate that it has a lens based autofocus and is compatible with the D40/40x/60

Dave

Dave, thanks for the info. Of the 2 lenses which one is the best?

mrbill

In looking at the test results on slrgear.com, I'd probably go with the Sigma. It doesn't go as long as the Tokina, but it goes wider and the Tokina is rather soft above 20mm.

You may also want to check sigma's newest 10-20. It has a faster, constant f/3.5 aperture and, though nobody has tested it yet, it may well benefit from being a second-generation model.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002D2VSD6/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=304485901&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0007U00X0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0TW2G3VSRJCMBFHR1MJR

Another contender is the Tamron Tamron AF 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5 SP Di II. Sharper overall than the Tokina and performs better at 24mm.

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-10-24mm-3-5-4-5-Aspherical-Digital/dp/B001G7PIBM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1249304463&sr=8-2

My 2¢... If I had the extra $150, Id probably go with the Sigma 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM. Other than that, I might toss a coin between the Tamron and older Sigma. They are both pretty good lenses.

Dave

Archived