Shopping in St Maarten - Is it still cheaper?

tirumisu

I've read many threads about shopping in St Maarten is the best since you get better deals (compared to St Thomas). However, St Maarten's local currency is the Euro dollar, and Euro has appreciated so much against the US Dollar. Is shopping in St Maarten still cheaper than St Thomas? I hope that someone who have recently been there can answer my question. Thanks.

The Euro is the currency on the French side -- St. Martin.

The Dutch side -- St. Maarten -- uses the Guilder, or the Netherlands Antilles Florin, which is pegged to the US Dollar, so no change on the Dutch side as the dollar fluctuates. No need to convert your money, as US Dollars are accepted everywhere.

We think that St. Maarten has the best prices anywhere in the Caribbean.

If you're shopping on the French side you will likely see higher prices because of the Euro v $ rates. Even then (at least for meals and some other tourist type purchases) many shopes/vendors consider the $ on par.

The prices in St. Maarten are definitely lower all the other islands, especially lower than St. Thomas. Merchants from many other Caribbean Islands do their buying at St. Maarten then resell those goods at elevated prices.

Archived