Should I book Opera?

mirocater

I read some of the opinions and reviews. While some of the comments scare the hell out of me (smell in the cabin, one glass of water per table of four, long wait for room service, no new daily sheets, etc.), most of the complaints seem to come from those that expected the glitz and party atmosphere on RCL, Celebrity, etc. Now – that may be exactly what I would hope for.

I am running a risk of being a pompous ass by asking you to compare MSC to Crystal and Radisson. Not so much the lever of service, but the atmosphere. I would really like to join a group that is planning to go on Feb 12 (?) cruise, but I fear that I may end up jumping overboard. I can take the ‘no service’, or ‘bad service’, but cannot live with constant PA announcements and invitations to ‘belly-flop’ competition, and loud intrusive music all over the ship.

By the way – how’s deck 12 on Opera? Do you get some peace and quiet in those cabins?

OK, so I am a pompous ass and spoiled brat. But – can you give me an opinion anyway?

Thanks in advance for your comments,

MC

Have to wait until April to experience Opera but can tell you that Lirica and Opera are what are termed "quiet ships". i.e. for peace and quiet there are no continual announcements - this has come in for bitter criticism by some - and there is no loud music broadcast.

There are so many lovely rooms where one can find peace and quiet - and later in the day a selection of decent life musicians performing but at a level where conversation can still be enjoyed.

Deck 12 is a very quiet area. We have it booked for April.

On Lirica we had balcony cabin Deck 10 and that too was peaceful but we made friends with a couple on Deck 12 and visited them. Simply because of its location there were far fewer people in corridors etc.

You will not be hassled to join in games, buy drinks, have your picture taken, enter a competition, sing karaoke, attend an art auction etc. How you spend your days and nights will be entirely your choice. One of the reasons we love MSC.

I would suggest you ignore the reports about 1 glass of water for a table of 4 and no daily news sheets. Thes are just some of the many untrue comments one can read concerning MSC. The best advice I could offer would be to please yourself and not be scared away from what COULD be a good experience through misinformation.

Regarding the smell in the cabin, I didn't personally experience it. The first night our waiter run himself to death refilling the wine glasses with water for us BUT the next night we found nice large tea glasses which he kept full of water for us. I think that is just a matter of letting your waiter know your preferences. We only used room service a few times but didn't find the long wait that others have spoke of. We had asked for 3 dailys each day and they were there every night without fail. I have only sailed on Carnival, Celebrity, HAL, Princess and RCCL so can't compare to the "premium" lines. There were no announcements (loved it), no drink pushing, and lots of quiet areas to enjoy. There were games by the pool and you were invited to join but not pushed. No, everything wasn't perfect BUT I've yet to be on a cruise that was. I loved it and would go again in a second. :D

Edited to add that we were on the 12-4-04 sailing.

Hi. During day realised that I had misread one of your comments re "new sheets". At first I thought you meant the daily "news sheets" which are delivered in the evening listing all next days activities. Now I realise you were meaning bed sheets.

Am afraid to say that on Opera you will not have new bed sheets everyday.

This is not a luxury I enjoy at home and do not expect it when on a cruiseliner either. If for you it will make or mar the cruise then do not go.

If however you decide that you can live with it - may I suggest that when dining request "a jug of water please" and it will be supplied without hesitation (based on our experience) and provided without request on all subsequent evenings.

Am afraid to say that on Opera you will not have new bed sheets everyday.

This is not a luxury I enjoy at home and do not expect it when on a cruiseliner either. If for you it will make or mar the cruise then do not go.

I really don't think any cruise line changes bed sheets everyday, even those that are top of the line. It's just too much for the ship's laundry to handle. I've sailed on Silversea which is considered by many to be the best out there, and sheets were not changed every day. Probably every other day if I remember correctly. Earlier this year on QM2 I think the sheets were changed once during our 8-day cruise.

On most mass-market and premium lines, bed sheets are changed once during a 7-day cruise which I think is quite sufficient.

Ernie

Thank you for all your responses. I have until 12-28 to make up my mind, and as it stands now, I think I will go for it. Thank you again.

I got a chuckle out of the sheets issue… Thank you! I don’t change the bed sheets every night at home either, and I can do the same on a ship. On QM2 earlier this year (PG class), they did not change bed sheets daily, but (I think) they did so if they felt it necessary. I cannot comment on Crystal – I never paid attention, but the beds felt fresh and starched every night. On RSS last month, whenever I left a chocolate stain on my sheet (from those little things they leave on your pillow), the stains were gone the next night.

Another interesting point about the smell in the cabin: we noticed it on RSS Mariner! The smell went away, if I plugged up the drain in the tub. When I asked the steward to make sure to cap the drain, the smell went away the next day with or without the drain cap. So – it happens on all kinds of ships, and at any price.

Thank you again for your kind responses.

MC

After cruising 2 times with MSC (Melody 12 days 11/2002 and Lirica 12 days 11/2004) I can say it's different than HAL, Celebrity, Carnival, RCI, but.......keep it this (Italian) way !!!:)

Especial both ships (Lirica and Opera) have a lot of relaxing areas, all with live music, piano, dancing music, violin trio, etc.

It's all some 'easier', relaxing, with a wonderfull animation-team with enthousiastic young women and man. And good food, not American-pizza/pasta/veal, but Italian !! Just like you will get it in Rome, Milan, Genova, Napoli, etc. made by this lovely Italian Mama's !! Don't let it become too American, there is allready a lot of it and all the same.

Henri.

• 1 month later...

Good morning everyone from the UK, am going on my first (of many i hope) cruise on the 11th June, on The Opera, looks an absolutely beautiful ship. Have to confess feeling a bit nervous. Not had a holiday since my husband died two years ago, cruises seem an ideal way for a lady to have a safe holiday and see the world and make new friends hopefully. Just joined this site been very interesting reading some of the messages ....nice to see lots of positive feedback. Look forward to hearing from anyone of you on this cruise regards Patricia x

hello, i am a new member and i posted a message this morning as a new thread but as far as i can see it gone to a thread titled should i book the opera, i unfortunately am having difficulty navigating the forum/site .... help:confused: please someone point me in the right dirction regards Patricia xxxx

Patricia,

I had my misgivings about MSC. I a way I still do. I am booked on (and now looking forward to) the Opera Feb. 12 cruise.

There are such wildly different opinions expressed about this cruise: some absolutely love it, some are fuming over the service. I promise to give you my own evaluation after the cruise: and it will be from a point of view of a spoiled brat (spoiled by Crystal mostly).

Please go!

Archived