Public Transportation to Bayonne from Manhattan

Any additional advice out there on how to get to the port from Manhattan? We'll be taking a few hours to see NYC before the cruise. I've checked all the options to get to the port from there. Any experts with the "best" way to get to Bayonne? Ferry, train? Which route? I have heard there is a RC shuttle from the train at the Bayonne station. Anyone know if there is a schedule, or is it just "load and go"?

Thanks!

Voyager 4/00

Explorer 1/02

Navigator 4/03

We will just have rolling carry-ons. Not a big deal. Is this the quickest way? I've studied the different ferry routes and also train schedules, and am not quite sure which will actually be the easiest and quickest to do.

Are you a native New Yorker?

Voyager 4/00

Explorer 1/02

Navigator 4/03

Here are the directions. Look under Public Transportation:

http://www.bayonnenj.org/royal.htm

Norway - 2/97;Leeward -12/97;

Grand Princess - 1/99; Leeward - 6/99; Dawn Princess - 11/99;Vision of the Seas - 6/00;Carnival Victory - 9/00; Zenith - 10/00

Mercury - 3/01; R1 -7/01; Grand Princess - 11/01; Majesty of the Seas - 12/01; Norwegian Star - 3/02;

Carnival Triumph - 7/02;

Maasdam - 11/02; Holiday - 12/02; Millennium - 4/03; Carnival Victory - 7/03; Zaandam - 8/03; Zuiderdam - 10/03; Enchantment of the Seas - 1/04; Galaxy - 3/04; QM2 - 5/04

Staten Island Ferry to Bayonne? Wow! I am really confused. I was not aware that the Staten Island ferry terminal is anywhere near Bayonne. One wonders what a taxi would cost from that terminal to Bayonne (probably more than the cruise).

Hank

Follow the link from Cruise Pup. After checking out everything, as much as I would have liked to take a ferry, I think the train from Manhattan linked to the Light Rail will be the quickest way. If anyone does know which ferry port would link to the Light Rail on a Sunday, let me know. Otherwise, I think we'll follow the instructions in the link.

Just get me to the port on time! icon_smile.gif

Voyager 4/00

Explorer 1/02

Navigator 4/03

I had worked out the same route on my own so I think that is best. Sometime in the future they may have ferry service right to the port, but right now I think it's best to use the existing transportation because cruise lines just don't seem to know how to get it together. Especially when head office is in Miami and probably anyone you speak to there wouldn't know Bayonne from Bayside. I did read somewhere there may be a shuttle from the light railway station to the ship but I'm taking those taxi phone numbers just in case. I might do a dry run this Sunday to see what's what. And a ferry to Staten Island would mean a very expensive cab ride to Bayonne. That is definately not the way to go.

By the way, I sailed on the QM2 last week and passed by Cape Liberty. The Empress of the Seas was docked there. Of course, I was too far away to really determine what was happening there. The ship docks about midway on that 2 mile stretch. The very tip of it had an abandoned building.

Norway - 2/97;Leeward -12/97;

Grand Princess - 1/99; Leeward - 6/99; Dawn Princess - 11/99;Vision of the Seas - 6/00;Carnival Victory - 9/00; Zenith - 10/00

Mercury - 3/01; R1 -7/01; Grand Princess - 11/01; Majesty of the Seas - 12/01; Norwegian Star - 3/02;

Carnival Triumph - 7/02;

Maasdam - 11/02; Holiday - 12/02; Millennium - 4/03; Carnival Victory - 7/03; Zaandam - 8/03; Zuiderdam - 10/03; Enchantment of the Seas - 1/04; Galaxy - 3/04; QM2 - 5/04

go to website: www.bayonnenj.org/royal.htm

and you will find the info you will need.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deecruiser:

Any additional advice out there on how to get to the port from Manhattan? We'll be taking a few hours to see NYC before the cruise. I've checked all the options to get to the port from there. Any experts with the "best" way to get to Bayonne? Ferry, train? Which route? I have heard there is a RC shuttle from the train at the Bayonne station. Anyone know if there is a schedule, or is it just "load and go"?

Thanks!

Voyager 4/00

Explorer 1/02

Navigator 4/03<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

cindy e

I live in Bayonne and work in NYC.

my personal opinion with carryon luggage only to travel from NYC to Bayonne would be:

PATH train from NYC to Pavonia/Newport station and transfer to Light Rail - 34th St Bayonne station

or

PATH train from NYC to Hoboken station and transfer there to Light Rail - 34th St Bayonne station

the 34th St Light Rail station is across the 4 lane highway (route 440) from the entrance to the cruise port. It is my understanding that there are going to be free shuttle buses from this 34th St Light Rail station over to the drop off point inside the port terminal where you check in. The entrance to the cruise port is still a mile or two away from the building where you check in.

Sunday schedules for both PATH and Light Rail may only be every 1/2 hour or so but both trains are pretty clean and safe to travel on -- I use the PATH every day to and from work. For about $3 each it is a bargain.

any specific questions -- send me an email to lindae3213@aol.com and I'll be glad to help. i don't come on this board too often so it is better to just email me to my home account

regards

What are the transportation options if you do have several pieces of luggage? We would like to stay in midtown Manhatten for a couple of nights prior to cruising from the Bayonne port.

Time to the Voyager:

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;22;16;30;00&timezone=GMT-0800

1999: Regal Princess

2001: Majesty/Radiance of the Seas

2002: Legend/Rhapsody of the Seas

2003: Navigator of the Seas

2004: Voyager of the Seas

Archived