Zandaam passenger overboard...search underway

flagger

I put a ball game on the tv and guarantee sleep. Never know when my life partner, oh soul mate, oh yeah I married him, my husband, I love him, comes in the door. It would be fun to start calling him my partner. I'd get a kick out of that. ;)

Any, back on track! Yes, you can lose track of your partner. It's easy.

Sorry for the bad news.

Those who find it hard to accept suicide or are harsh on those who commit suicide are those who are doing so out of fear of suicide.

Nobody wants to have the knock on the door from a police officer to tell them that a loved one has died, that is devastating enough, but it is even moreso when that death is by the loved one's own hand.

By the same token, nobody really wants to accept the saying 'there by the grace of god go I' when it comes to suicide. Most people equate suicide as a mental shutdown of all things logical and a selfish desire to die come what may and to heck with everyone else.

It isn't that simple.

Suicidal thoughts come from nowhere, they can come from illness...physical & mental....it can come from having just one more row with a husband or wife over going shopping again, or a child who constantly answers back again...or the news that you have cancer and that it is terminal...sometimes suicide comes to mind when you lose your job and you have bills to pay and a family to keep who you are terrified will never manage unless you are dead and the insurance helps them out.

More often than not though, suicidal thoughts come from just a feeling of total and complete worthlessness, that the world will be a better place without you in it.

There are no ways of knowing who will be suicidal...it can be the guy in the smart suit with the top end job, the housewife looking after the kids, the schoolteacher...anyone...suicide knows no boundaries, knows no classes or religions or skin colours.

This is why some people immediately label those who commit suicide as selfish, unthoughtful, uncaring...

It's basic fear....fear that it could happen to them. Fear that one day they might wake up one morning and feel that everything that they had just wasn't quite right.

When a human is fearful of something like suicide they become hostile to it.

It is very sad, but at the same time, it is human...although testing to us who do understand, it also has to be understood by us that it is just their fear talking.

It is well documented that over 250,000 people have attempted suicide while being prescribed ****** and similar anti-depressant drugs.

I have personal knowledge of such a person, in his early 40s, who took his life while on ******. He was the owner of a highly successful business employing several hundred people. Had two lovely young daughters and a wife who was a child Psychologist. They had no money problems and were a loving family. Unfortunately the husband, like his father, had a history of depression.

No one could fathom how he could have taken his own life causing such grief to his bereaved family. I think there is a wide consensus that his medication was the trigger for the irrational final act of his life.

http://www.counterpunch.org/******suicide.html

Suicidal thoughts come from nowhere....it can come from having just one more row with a husband or wife...

Reminds me of the infamous incident concerning the couple aboard ship who were arguing and bickering at one another throughout the entire crossing.

One day on deck, in full view and within earshot of other passengers, the constant badgering had reached its climax when the husband finally told his wife something to the effect of 'If you don't shut up and leave me alone right now, I'll throw myself overboard!'...

...to which his bride snarled, "You're not man enough!"

Indeed, he was man enough - and was never again seen.

Goldryder..After reading your posts, IMO you are a very thoughtful & compassionate person..You have wonderful insight into the thoughts of others..

Obviously you understand those who are in pain & have lost their desire to live...Both of my Nieces, (Nurses) are just as understanding as you are...We also have several Dr.'s in our Hospital who are as kind & sympathetic as you all are..The Nurses & their Patients love them..Can I be so bold as to ask, if you were in the Mental Health Field before retirement..

It never occurred to me that those who didn't show Love & compassion for the Lady & her Family are actually fearful...Hopefully, I'll remember your post & it will help me to be more understanding & forgiving of those who have diametrical points of view to mine..

Thanks so much for pointing this out..

Cheers..:) Betty

Goldryder..After reading your posts, IMO you are a very thoughtful & compassionate person..You have wonderful insight into the thoughts of others..

Obviously you understand those who are in pain & have lost their desire to live...Both of my Nieces, (Nurses) are just as understanding as you are...We also have several Dr.'s in our Hospital who are as kind & sympathetic as you all are..The Nurses & their Patients love them..Can I be so bold as to ask, if you were in the Mental Health Field before retirement..

It never occurred to me that those who didn't show Love & compassion for the Lady & her Family are actually fearful...Hopefully, I'll remember your post & it will help me to be more understanding & forgiving of those who have diametrical points of view to mine..

Thanks so much for pointing this out..

Cheers..:) Betty

Betty, firstly thank you for your compliments, they are appreciated.

No, I have never been in the medical profession in any form...I actually used to drive the UK equivalent to what you know as 18 wheelers in the US...one of few women to do that in the 1980's over here in the UK. I then worked part time as a tour guide on coaches with elderly/disabled passengers for a couple of years.

I guess the affinity lies from having an 'iffy' time as a child and when married, I am not ashamed to say that I too reached the bottom of that pit more than once, so have first hand knowledge of what it feels like to be in a mindset that you're not wanted and that the world would be better off without you. I have also lost close friends through suicide, one in particular affected me a great deal. So having been on both side of the fence has given me insight and some measure of understanding that those who are untouched by such tragedy will not have.

Like I said, I strongly believe that the hostility towards suicide and those who have taken that ultimate step is like everything else that is 'unknown', it is fear driven. Fear of one's own weaknesses, one's own failures and fear of what one's own mind is capable of doing when things get too tough to keep going.

How does a passenger going overboard affect the rest of the cruise passengers and their entire cruise experience? We were on the Zaandam a couple of weeks ago and had to stop the ship so they could transport a crew member off at entrance to Glacier Bay. I know the rumors flew around the ship and we later found out that the crew member had an appendicitis attack. A passenger going overboard must have had everyone in turmoil. I am not even on the ship and I feel for the woman, her roommate, the passengers, and the crew.

I have just returned from an Alaskan cruise and talked with a lady at the airport in Seattle that was sailing on the ship when this occurred. She said the woman and "partner" had been a couple for about ten years and had recently broken up. They had already booked the cruise, however, and decided to go anyway. The woman was drinking heavily the first few days of the cruise, in fact, so badly that the ship cut her off from purchasing drinks. When she couldn't be found, the ship broadcast her picture all day and asked if anyone had seen or heard from her. After she was found, the ship held a memorial service onboard. The "partner" left the ship before the end of the cruise.

It is so sad when someone can't see any other option but suicide. May she have found the peace she was seeking...

It is well documented that over 250,000 people have attempted suicide while being prescribed ****** and similar anti-depressant drugs.

I have personal knowledge of such a person, in his early 40s, who took his life while on ******. http://www.counterpunch.org/******suicide.html

You can circumvent auto-bleeping by using punctuation - such as proz'c or pr*zac

Well, I have a very close friend who is a LCSW and works for the largest chain of hospitals in Houston. I don't know if I can say-but it's the Memorial H***** system. He works on the crisis management team and has for about 15 years now. He travels from hospital to hospital whenever someone is admitted from either a suicide attempt or drug O.D. He sees most of these patients in the E.R. He tells me that nearly all suicide attempts are substance abuse related or else they are attention seeking and are often extremely immature and don't have good coping skills. Instead, they try to manipulate others to suit them. He refers the attention seekers to counseling as well as the others.

He also tells me that he has little sympathy for most of them as they've pulled these stunts many times over and they seem to enjoy torturing their famlies with these antics. Generally, anyone who survives a sucicide attempt needs therapy so they can learn to cope and develope some life skills-as well as treat their addictions and or depression. I agree that a lot of these medications can just make things worse.

Hi Saltyswife,

Wonder why you enclosed the word "partner" in quotes - twice?

As one who has probably been "in quotes" many times, this is one of those things that can just grind a person down until you can't take any more.

You are not Saltys"wife" to yourself, are you?

I agree that most suicide attempts are attention seekers. I doubt most of them really intended for it to get that far. It's sad but that is the truth. Others enable them. Its as hard on others as it is on them. How would you like to live your life thinking, "If I don't do this, he/she will kill themselves?' Not a good way to live for either of them. Don't know if this is the case here, but it looks classic.

Archived