Help, I'm leaving my son for the first time

jsher

We have a software program called Quicken Willmaker Plus that includes many legal forms, including one for medical treatment authorization. We used it when my parents stayed with my kids while we cruised this past summer. Fortunately they didn't need it, but it's better to be safe. You can purchase the software on CD for $50 or download it for $40. Here's a link:

http://www.nolo.com/lawstore/products/product.cfm/ObjectID/6E9ED903-C9B4-42E0-9C2E235DD87A0A8A

If your child will be going to it's regular doctor you can go to the doctor's office and have one put in the chart.

No need to spend a lot of money. Just a hand written note giving authorization should do. I usually leave a copy of our insurance card too.

I also leave one of our insurance cards and I just type up a letter stating that the grandparents have the authority to seek medical treatment as needed. I then get the letter notarized (which costs $2 at the local Mailboxes store) so that I am sure it will be accepted.

I tried to cut and paste the Quicken form for you but it won't let me copy the text. Basically in your letter include:

1. your child's full name, age, birthday

2. health insurance info/policy #

3. any current medical conditions/allergies

4. your name, address, and phone # and that of all other legal guardians (such as your dh)

5. name and contact info of other adult to notify if legal guardian can't be reached

6. name of the person you are authorizing to make medical decisions

The actual authorization text is short so I will retype that for you here. It says:

I affirm that I have legal custody of the minor child indicated above. I give authorization and consent for ______________ to authorize necessary medical or dental care for this child. Such medical treatment shall be provided upon the advice of and supervision by any physician, surgeon, dentist, or medical practitioner licensed to practice in the United States.

Then you and dh should both date and sign it. Notarization gives extra peace of mind but is not necessary. We had ours notarized just to be on the safe side. Our bank notarized for free, so definitely check your bank first before going someplace that will charge you.

These forms don't expire but it is a good idea to update them every couple of years. Do leave the insurance card with it so there is no delay confirming coverage. Also, leave a list of any allergies to medication and a brief medical history including a list of medicines the child takes on a regular basis.

I'll be leaving my toddler for the first time and was wondering if anyone new of a form letter of some sort that would give his grandparents authority to permit medical treatment if needed.

We got a standard form from our pediatrician office. I had to have it notarized, but that was just a quick trip to the bank.

We left our kids last March, of course our then 14 mo. DD started vomiting the night before we left. The grandparents had to make a couple of visits to Urgent Care. We left a medical card and a hand written permission letter that was not notorized. The staff said that without the letter they would not have been able to treat her. However I work in a childrens hospital and we would see any child that needed to be seen.

Archived