Cocktails, Pink Gin

U12RD04

Made in the United Kingdom in the 19th century, a Pink Gin contains gentian and a dash of 'pink'. 'Pink' referring to the Angostura bitters, a dark red extract of gentian and spices. This is typically an English way of drinking and enjoying gin.

Also called Gin and Bitters, the Pink Gin cocktail was created by the Royal Navy. They created the drink in order to make Angostura bitters more enjoyable. The Royal Navy used the bitters to treat medical conditions in sailors; furthermore, it was also used to treat seasickness.

The Recipe

This recipe serves 1

1 measure gin

2-3 dashes Angostura bitters

Coat the sides of a chilled martini glass with the Angostura bitters, add chilled gin and serve.

Made in the United Kingdom in the 19th century, a Pink Gin contains gentian and a dash of 'pink'. 'Pink' referring to the Angostura bitters, a dark red extract of gentian and spices. This is typically an English way of drinking and enjoying gin.

Also called Gin and Bitters, the Pink Gin cocktail was created by the Royal Navy. They created the drink in order to make Angostura bitters more enjoyable. The Royal Navy used the bitters to treat medical conditions in sailors; furthermore, it was also used to treat seasickness.

The Recipe

This recipe serves 1

1 measure gin

Coat the sides of a chilled martini glass with the Angostura bitters, add chilled gin and serve.

And another so soon?:eek:

Do you ever burn the bitters? Before adding the gin, of course! Either burnt or un-burnt, modern gins make poor Gin & Bitters, I think; an old fashioned gin like Bols Genever from Holland has a much more distinct set of flavors than London "dry" gins, and I like it very much indeed!

The Recipe

This recipe serves 1

1 measure gin

YUM. This Pink Gin sounds just fine to me. I can get these on board the QM2?? About how much USD do those run... (must budget in advance)?

We made a Pink Gin last night. Not bad.

I then made a Pink Gin with a little St. Germaine added in.

Much better.

I too made a pink gin last night Not bad. Then I too made another but with a lot more gin added in. Much Much better.

G.

Many things are improved by the addition of St-Germain, like the St-Honoré 75 which is St-Germain, lemon juce and champagne. (I know, I know, I'm writing St-Germain with a hyphen; I always wrote St. Germain with a period until one day I looked at the bottle and saw the way the maker spells it, with a hyphen. Go figure.)

Does anyone know if St-Germain (or Creme de Violette) are available on QM2? There are some wonderfully cold and delicious cocktails to be made using these two items, but they're far from standard items to find on the back bar.

Archived