Anyone live in St. Thomas or did a land vacation there?

Lovely_Star

I am considering going to St. Thomas for a land vacation since I really enjoyed the day that I spent there while on a cruise. I have several questions that I'd like to ask someone who is a local or who has spent a few days there. You can email me or contact me through the boards. Thanks. :)

I am considering going to St. Thomas for a land vacation since I really enjoyed the day that I spent there while on a cruise. I have several questions that I'd like to ask someone who is a local or who has spent a few days there. You can email me or contact me through the boards. Thanks. :)

Hi, we've spent a week there, twice and would be glad to answer any questions you have, fire away.

Been going to St.Thomas since I was 8 or 9 (35 now) Used to spend almost all of the summer there and was back 4-6 times a year growing up. My wife and I own a Timeshare at Frenchman's Cove and we go back at least once a year, plus if we happen to stop there on a cruise, so some years it's 2 or 3 times a year. Feel free to ask any question you like. I'll be happy to provide directions, give my thoughts on beaches, places to stay, resturants etc. I can be reached via e-mail at laser110@aol.com.

Scott

We will potentially be staying at the Bluebeard’s Beach Club or the Elysian Beach Resort while in St. Thomas for five days. I am debating on whether or not it would be necessary to rent a car for the entire time as it is very expensive and none of the major rental car companies will except any discount or coupon codes for St. Thomas. When we stopped there on cruise day we were able to take the jitney dollar cab that the locals use instead of the costly touristy cabs. Is this an option for us where we will be staying? What are the must see or things to do while in St. Thomas? I know it is an island, but I don’t want to make everyday a beach/snorkel day? Everyone who I tell that we might be visiting the island warns me about how expensive it is? Where can we eat for cheap (breakfast, lunch & dinner)? We will probably will have access to a kitchen so would want to do some light grocery shopping. Any suggestions, I hear that groceries aren’t cheap by any means too? How can we enjoy ourselves on the island while keeping costs down? How is the nightlife on St. Thomas, where do the locals go to dance, drink and let loose? Any other things that you want to chime in about to are welcome. Thanks guys.

What are the must see or things to do while in St. Thomas?

Set a day or two aside for St. John. While on St. John head out to Waterlemon Cay for some fantastic snorkeling. You'll need to make arrangements with a cab driver to pick you up there when you're ready to leave.

You can also chill out at a nice quiet beach like Maho Bay. But like with Waterlemon Cay, you'll need to make arrangements for pickup.

Also consider heading to BVI for the day.

We didn't rent a car the entire time we were there -- just for about 2-3 days.

We spent a week on St Thomas and several days on St John last summer. It was great and an easy island to explore. We loved hitting megans bay after the cruisers and crowds left. Here are a few suggestions:

* Rent a car if you plan to explore the island the roads are easy and it gives you alot of flexibility. That way you do not have to worry about timing you island exploration for when Taxis will be available or worry about last minute expenses.

* Definately plan at least a day trip to St.John. If we had to do it again we would have swapped and spent a week there and just few day on St. Thomas. Do not miss Trunk Bay. We loved the town, beaches, and quaint shops there. It is easy to catch the ferry over there.

* If you like ice cream, on your way to Megan's Bay be sure to make a stop at "Utterly Delightful". It is along the road with a big sign of a cow drinking a milkshake - it looks like a dive but the ice cream is wonderful.

Hope that helps a little.

Both times we went we rented a car and also have one rented for a day in Sep. Everytime the price was very reasonable. In Sep. our price for one day isn't as good comparably but still for $48 it's not bad when you consider 2 people going any where is like $10pp each way for a taxi. So if you go to just one place it's going to cost $40 so any place else you go that day is practically for free. Our favorite place for dinner is Banana Tree Grille, great food and viewand Morgan's Mango in Cruz Bay, St. John(voodoo snapper and mango colada's):p We like Greenhouse for lunch and Duffy's Love Shack is fun day or night for drinks and food. Paradise Pt. has a great view of the harbour and if you decide to rent a car it will save you something like $16-$19pp driving up there instead of paying for the tram. For snorkeling on St. Thomas, we like Sapphire and Secret Harbour, the latter has a nice place to eat right on the beach called Blue Moon Cafe.

We just rented a house on St John for a week next April, thru a website VRBO.com. it's a great website and the prices are the full range, depending on when & what you want. We too looked at St Thomas and found it too expensive to stay on, a fellow cruiser recommended St John. We are so excited about it. If you would like to see what we are renting email me at tipsyq@yahoo. com and just put in subj box what you sending about so I don't delete it. am careful about opening emails. sorry. The owners of the house are so nice, getting us a discount on jeep rental, meeting us at dock, sending us all kinds of info etc. It's looking like going to be a fantastic vac.

Feel free to contact me. Like to help fellow cruisers & travellers.

Debbie

Archived