Help with ??? on $299 NOLA -"Deal or No Deal"?

b714210

I am in NOLA on vacation. Carnival has a storefront on Canal St. where they are offering a 5 day cruise interior room for $299. With a $99 deposit, you have to book within the next year, but not sail within the year. They say it is good for any 5 day from any Carnival port, anytime! I even asked about a New Years cruise, and was told yes. So, I call my PVP and she is looking into it, but we are leaving tomorrow, so I am hoping to find out if it's legit before I go back. Anyone know the details on this? The employees are all wearing Carnival shirts, showing Carnival materials. They also say you can upgrade to a oceanview/balcony or 7 day cruise for a small fee. They are being promoted by Festiva resorts timeshare, but assured me I do not have to do the timeshare to get the $299 deal. If I did the timeshare- cruise would be free, but it's not worth it to me.:confused: Anyone know about this? Thanks.

I'm interested in seeing what Carnival tells you. I tried looking uo an address for Carnival in New Orleans and had nothing come up.

Is that per person or per cabin? Did they tell you what a "small amount" would be to upgrade? Sounds interesting, please post if you find anything more about it. Heck I might sit through a timeshare presentation for a cruise and I'll be in New Orleans in a month for about ten days so I could afford to "waste" some time to get a cruise.

Please keep me informed.:confused:

Thanks!

I googled "Festiva Resorts+Carnival cruise + New Orleans" and found this:

http://www.blogcatalog.com/blog/festiva-resorts-weblog/e5a1485dac438c5a19114bfb25c176a3

"We are also thrilled to have entered into an alliance with Carnival cruise lines through Vacation Tour & Travel to offer a combination package that includes a stay with Festiva Resorts for cruise passengers departing from New Orleans."

The vacation tour and travel link takes you to a 4 day cruise "deal."

I am in NOLA on vacation. Carnival has a storefront on Canal St. where they are offering a 5 day cruise interior room for $299. With a $99 deposit, you have to book within the next year, but not sail within the year. They say it is good for any 5 day from any Carnival port, anytime! I even asked about a New Years cruise, and was told yes. So, I call my PVP and she is looking into it, but we are leaving tomorrow, so I am hoping to find out if it's legit before I go back. Anyone know the details on this? The employees are all wearing Carnival shirts, showing Carnival materials. They also say you can upgrade to a oceanview/balcony or 7 day cruise for a small fee. They are being promoted by Festiva resorts timeshare, but assured me I do not have to do the timeshare to get the $299 deal. If I did the timeshare- cruise would be free, but it's not worth it to me.:confused: Anyone know about this? Thanks.

I would not take a chance with that. You can book directly with Carnival for about the same amount or better and not have to worry about being burned.

Actually, the cruise is free if I sit through the time share. I am not going to the time share. While $299 for an inside doesn't sound great, I am a teacher and can only sail during high season. I have been considering the 5 day Destiny cruise out of Miami for New Years Eve 2010, so for 299 PP, that is a good deal. I just ca't find out if it is true that you can sail anytime there is room on the ship. I also haven't heard back from my PVP to tell me how much it would be to upgrade to a 7 day or better located cabin.

Wonder if that 299.00 is for cruise only- in the lowest category available (1A which features bunk beds) now add in port and taxes.

I was thinking the same thing. I once received a certificate for a "free cruise"- only to find out that I had to pay the "port fees" and taxes. This is more than fees that are shown on Carnival's site, because they don't break out the port fees. When I went to Carnival's site to compare the price I would have to pay, there was very little difference. They expected me to believe that Carnival wasn't making any money on my booking. :rolleyes:

I did take the cruise, but I booked with Carnival. I am thankful for the certificate though, because it introduced me to the world of cruising. :D

Caveat emptor.

Be certain what you would have to pay above and beyond the $299. And confirm that the $99 would be subtracted from the $299. (Or do you pay the $99 now, and it "buys" you a cruise for $299 more?)

I'm interested in seeing what Carnival tells you. I tried looking uo an address for Carnival in New Orleans and had nothing come up.

Is that per person or per cabin? Did they tell you what a "small amount" would be to upgrade? Sounds interesting, please post if you find anything more about it. Heck I might sit through a timeshare presentation for a cruise and I'll be in New Orleans in a month for about ten days so I could afford to "waste" some time to get a cruise.

Please keep me informed.:confused:

Thanks!

I sat thru a presentation and I can go on any 4 day for FREE. Yippee, but then it says $179 pp for taxes, port charges (which are usually included in the cruise fare) and processing fees.

None of these free cruises are actually free. I sent in the paper for my free cruise, heck I said ok, at least its a discount ... still waiting to be sent the papers to call in to get my FREE cruise that costs $179 pp total in costs.... plus whatever to upgrade. (free cruise is for a 1A which is bunk beds on Ecstasy/Fantasy)

PS I can also do a FREE 7 day for $299 pp, thats still $600. Full price for some dates on Conquest I have seen has been as low as $389 pp taxes, and some out of Florida have lower rates for a 1A. I managed to get arate of $289 last may during the flu scare plus taxes, minus a welcome back credit about $620 total. The free 7 day isnt as much of a deal as the 4 day. ... also for a 1A, but 1As on conquest there are mostly two beds, or one twin and one convertible sofa.

from Festiva, the timeshare company. The "free" cruise is just as you said, it does not include port charges or taxes and it is per person, so not the greatest deal around. Since I am going to be in NOLA soon I'm going to consider going to the presentation for a "free" certificate anyway.

Thanks for posting.

Well, I am back from my trip to New Orleans, and did reach my PVP before I left. She did not know anything about it, so she put me on hold and called her supervisor and he didn't know anything about it. So, I decided not to buy into it. Strange that all the employees were wearing Carnival shirts and telling me to call 1-800-CARNIVAL for details, but no one at Carnival was in the know. Looks like I am going to sit out the New Years 2010 Destiny cruise because the going rate is over $700 per person. Oh, well at least I have the Legend to look forward to in October! Thanks to everybody who posted their ideas.;), if anyone else gets the scoop, please post so I know if I did the right thing, or I blew a great opportunity for a cheap cruise.

Archived