Artemis Schedule change

soletread

Hi does anybody know why the Artemis 4 nighter departing Friday 28th August has had a schedule changed

My why noticed first when she went on lime to fill in the cruise personalizer I thought it may be an error but no we had a letter at the weekend to inform we would be visitinf Bruges first then onto Amsterdam

Not too bother personally but quit liked the idea of having a half day at sea before arriving in Amsterdam then having chane to get a feel for the city before enjoying the full day avialable now of course we arrive morning on Sunday leave afternoon Monday

P&O stated its due to Port aurthorities in Zeebrugger just wonder if anybody knew any more

Also any tips on the Artemis as its our first time on this old maid:D

Thanks Soletread

Hi does anybody know why the Artemis 4 nighter departing Friday 28th August has had a schedule changed

My why noticed first when she went on lime to fill in the cruise personalizer I thought it may be an error but no we had a letter at the weekend to inform we would be visitinf Bruges first then onto Amsterdam

Not too bother personally but quit liked the idea of having a half day at sea before arriving in Amsterdam then having chane to get a feel for the city before enjoying the full day avialable now of course we arrive morning on Sunday leave afternoon Monday

P&O stated its due to Port aurthorities in Zeebrugger just wonder if anybody knew any more

Thanks Soletread

There was a problem with one of her engines it has a cracked casing so it is inoperable - perhaps this reflects on the itinerary (perhaps not). It should have been fixed by now anyhow. My parents were on the previous Baltic cruise that missed Gothenburg due to the mechanical problem. They missed Visby due to bad weather - apparently a lot of people were not happy.

Although they had a great time and love the ports they thought that the Artemis didn't had a lot of life left in here. Shame because she used to be a beautiful ship.

There was a problem with one of her engines it has a cracked casing so it is inoperable - perhaps this reflects on the itinerary (perhaps not). It should have been fixed by now anyhow. My parents were on the previous Baltic cruise that missed Gothenburg due to the mechanical problem. They missed Visby due to bad weather - apparently a lot of people were not happy.

Although they had a great time and love the ports they thought that the Artemis didn't had a lot of life left in here. Shame because she used to be a beautiful ship.

OH lord I wish I hadn't asked I thought the issue was the Belguim ports being difficult or possibly some event at Zeebrugger now I wonder if there are engine issues:eek: To be honest I have a pretty good idea what Artemis will be like we are trying her for a weekender to see if we like her we love the Arcadia becuase she is child free and with Artemis being the same and that she has some lovely cruises with differnt ports of call

If we like the weekender we will consider her for furtre cruises as an alternative to the Arcadia

I'm aware she is traditional and draws a more mature passenger but that doesn't both us and havig just turned 40 this year anything that makes me feel younger is great:cool:

I have cruised on ships of a similar size before so it will be nice to be on a smaller vessel again and to see how we like it in contrast we try Cunard for the first time in November QM2 Westbound transatlantic so that should be a complete extreme:o

Old Maid? How dare you? Tee hee. We were on her for 25 nights last September and loved her. We are on her again this October for 26 nights to Egypt.

No Offence intended she carry's her self with real grace for a mature lady

Any tips as you clear are expereince on the Artemis and like her enough to return for more:D

Thanks Soletread

Hello

We are on this trip too with my elderly father. It will be our first on Artemis.

We were unaware of the itinerary change until we received the tickets a couple of days ago.

We too were looking forward to the morning at sea before Amsterdam. Also, we were going to be in Zeebrugge at the same time as Ventura where we were hoping to meet someone from that ship.

Never mind. A cruise is still a cruise. Not too long to wait now.

Gail & Ron

Hello

We are on this trip too with my elderly father. It will be our first on Artemis.

We were unaware of the itinerary change until we received the tickets a couple of days ago.

We too were looking forward to the morning at sea before Amsterdam. Also, we were going to be in Zeebrugge at the same time as Ventura where we were hoping to meet someone from that ship.

Never mind. A cruise is still a cruise. Not too long to wait now.

Gail & Ron

Hello Gail/Ron

Oh thats a shame if your going to miss friends in Zeebrugger I had not related to the fact that Ventura would have been in port with us that day

I'm not sure if you have been to Bruges before but I can highly recommend a stroll around my wife and I have by defualt visited Bruges twice running last Year on return trip from Germany the before in 2007 on a mini cruise on Aurora its lovely place and worth a look the first visit we did the walking guided tour and then a boat ride on the waterways it was lovely, of course this may not be suitable for your Father depending on how mobile he is

On a positive note Bruges can get very busy at the best of times so if Ventura had been in as well it could have made Bruges manic so maybe not so bad the schedule change

Maybe your point answers my question above maybe the port didn't wish to deal with two ships on the same day?

From what I understand from reading other forums the Artemis docks within walking distance of Amsterdam city centre so there should still be plenty of time for a good look at the city

Here's crossing the fingers to the that supposed improvement in the weather for the end of August

Soletread:)

From what I understand from reading other forums the Artemis docks within walking distance of Amsterdam city centre so there should still be plenty of time for a good look at the city

It's a bit of a walk - it's the other side of Centraal Station, i.e. away from Dam Square. So you've got to walk to Centraal Station (maybe 10 minutes?) and then from there into the main old town.

There is a tram line (#25) goes to (indeed, terminates at) the cruise terminal. When we were there, however, we didn't know how to manage a tram without a pre-bought ticket (the strippenkaart) and we couldn't see anywhere at or by the cruise terminal where we could buy one, and we didn't know what to do if we boarded the tram without a ticket, so we walked to Centraal Station, bought a strippenkaart there, and used the trams from then on.

It's a bit of a walk - it's the other side of Centraal Station, i.e. away from Dam Square. So you've got to walk to Centraal Station (maybe 10 minutes?) and then from there into the main old town.

There is a tram line (#25) goes to (indeed, terminates at) the cruise terminal. When we were there, however, we didn't know how to manage a tram without a pre-bought ticket (the strippenkaart) and we couldn't see anywhere at or by the cruise terminal where we could buy one, and we didn't know what to do if we boarded the tram without a ticket, so we walked to Centraal Station, bought a strippenkaart there, and used the trams from then on.

Thanks Tom thats worth knowing My wife and I are good walkers so will most likely use our legs in, but its good to know there is an alternative form of transport back if we are tired after stomping around all day

Must admit really looking forward to Amsterdam as have wanted to visit for a while but a fly weekend can be very expensive with hotels and all, so the Artemis schedule works well for us

The other factor is most aother ships list as visiting Amsterdam but call at Rotterdam which is a good 2 hour drive by coach I believe and who really wants that.

We called at Rotterdam on the Aurora in 2007 and decided to visit Delft which was very nice and renewed my desire to see Amsterdam

We visited Amsterdam by cruise ship in 2005 on Norwegian Jewel's 2-night inaugural. The trip up the canal from the North Sea is interesting. I remember that we had dinner that night in one of her speciality restaurants, and it was strange looking out of the windows and seeing the canal banks sliding by so closely. There were lots of people on them - some waving, a few fishing, some just walking or cycling. On the ships you're used to being out at sea when you're in motion.

Bart de Boer has some pictures of Amsterdam's cruise terminal and that aspect of the city in the 'Port Alphabet' section of his truly excellent Ship Parade website.

We visited Amsterdam by cruise ship in 2005 on Norwegian Jewel's 2-night inaugural. The trip up the canal from the North Sea is interesting. I remember that we had dinner that night in one of her speciality restaurants, and it was strange looking out of the windows and seeing the canal banks sliding by so closely. There were lots of people on them - some waving, a few fishing, some just walking or cycling. On the ships you're used to being out at sea when you're in motion.

Bart de Boer has some pictures of Amsterdam's cruise terminal and that aspect of the city in the 'Port Alphabet' section of his truly excellent Ship Parade website.

Thanks I will check it out

Do you have to go through some type of Slush or lock when you entry the Canal being sad as I am I was checking out Google Earth the other day to try and work out the route the ship will approach Amsterdam and the only way I could see is via a Slush Lock is that correct?

I also hope that Artemis is fixed soon as we are sailing down to the carribean on 31st october.

Debbie:confused:

Does anybody have any more detail about the engine issue on Artemis and the proposed solution

I'm sure it will have no real effect on my short little trip to the lowlands but it is clearly concerning others

Personally I was totally unaware till it was mentioned on my thread

Archived