WOW Sale - Good Deal?

Can someone please help me figure this out?

As you may already know, an "un-named" online TA announced a 3-day "WOW" sale today (that I think is being endorsed by RCI btw). I am trying to figure out what would be most cost effective for me, and I'm in a bit of a panic as I have a 24-hour courtesy hold on a cabin with RCI which expires in a few hours - and I have to decide whether to book with the TA or directly with RCI.

A lot of people here have a lot of experience with the 'rules' in respect to combining offers, discounts etc., and a lot of expertise in working out "the best deal" ! Could I please ask you to tell me what you think you would do in my situation?

For the cabin I have the RCI courtesy hold on, as part of the "WOW" sale, the TA will give me $200 OBC + gratuities for a total of $440, plus I will only be required to pay 50% of the deposit (the deposit bit's not a biggie for me).

However, I have 87,000 Royal Rewards (RCI Visa rewards), and was thinking of redeeming 50,000 of them for $500 towards cost of cruise. I also have a $200 NextCruise certificate, which I got in 2007, which provides me $100 OBC, which I'd like to use as well. Can I combine the NextCruise certificate with Royal Rewards?

As I've had the NextCruise certificate for a couple of year, I'd really like to use it. This new cruise will put me over into the Platinum category, and I hope to be enjoying Platinum Balcony discounts in the future that are valued at more than the NextCruise $100 OBC.

I called the "un-named" TA, and they said they can't honor the Royal Rewards, but may be able to honor the NextCruise certificate, but I will have to pay the full deposit - and I think she said I'd have to forego the prepaid gratuities also. She also said that I'd have to get RCI to transfer the NextCruise reservation over to them before the "WOW" sale ends on Friday. That bit wasn't clear, but it sounded like it could be a bit of a hassle, and there's very limited time to do this between now and Friday.

So ... forgetting Royal Rewards and NextCruise deposit and OBC for a minute, the "WOW" sale would give me a savings of $440. It sounds good, but I don't think it's the way to go. I'm thinking I may be better off booking with RCI, cashing in my 50,000 for $500, applying my $200 Royal Rewards deposit and getting the $100 OBC. What do you guys think? Do you agree?

Any advice you can give me would so much appreciated! I'd ideally like to make my decision in the next few hours before my courtesy hold expires and I'm hoping the experts here will speak their usual words of wisdom!

Thank you so very, very much!

I've considered using the TA sale for my next cruise and using Royal Rewards etc. for another sometime in the future. But my next cruise is a big one for us - a bit more than we would normally spend, and the reason we decided on it was because we thought our points etc. would make it more affordable for us.

Forgot to mention that!

...use of the next cruise certificate is to use it on a longer cruise, 10 night will give you double the OBC(cannot be cashed out and taken, must be used) and then you can buy stock which is SO low and you can combine it since the next cruise certificate was bought before Jan 1, 2009. That would double too. That would give you $400 and then if you are platinum, it is also combinable since you are using a pre jan 2009 cruise certificate.... you would also get the 100$ discount for the balcony.

I believe when Royal changed the double dipping rule, the next cruise had to be booked by Jan 1 2009 in order to get both owners and next cruise OBC. I am sure someone will confirm this, or, 100 people will tell me I'm wrong.

IIf you are planning on taking more RCI cruises, the best use of the next cruise certificate is to use it on a longer cruise, 10 night will give you double the OBC(cannot be cashed out and taken, must be used) and then you can buy stock which is SO low and you can combine it since the next cruise certificate was bought before Jan 1, 2009. That would double too. That would give you $400 and then if you are platinum, it is also combinable since you are using a pre jan 2009 cruise certificate.... you would also get the 100$ discount for the balcony.

C&A said the 2007 NextCruise is combinable, and I can see it be combinable with on or the other of stockholder discount, OR balcony discount, but not both. I think I'll call them again and find out.

You have been told correctly that your NextCruise can be combined w/ other RCI offers since it was purchased prior to 1/1/09. However the WOW sale is specific to a particular TA so you will need to abide to that TAs individual rules. Long story short, if the TA will not allow the combining then you will be restricted by their rules, not RCI's rules.

Personally would look at this both ways.......w/ the TAs benefits OR w/ RCI's pricing while allowing the combination of all discounts and points you qualify for.

IF you have some time (I know your hold will expire) before this particular cruise departs, you may wish to way another option....waiting until the next RCI sponsored sale........just a thought!!! It is possible you could take advantage of ALL possible discounts/credits.

Good luck!!!

Bruce

Thank you for taking the time read my long post and provide suggestions - and what a help that's been!

I called C&A again and yes, I can combine the NextCruise cert with owners discount AND balcony discount! The suggestion to hold onto this for a later cruise - possibly a 10 day'er or longer - to double the discounts and OBC, is a great suggestion, and I think that's what I'll do.

I also confirmed with C&A about redeeming Royal Rewards for OBC and that seems like it would work too! They'll just add them to my reservation - no TA involvement. So I think I may book with the TA, take advantage of the $440 savings there, then get $500 OBC from my Royal Rewards.

The suggestion to wait for an RCI promotion is a great one, but I don't really want to wait. I want to make the reservation as soon as I can as this cruise is the one and only RCI Hawaii cruise for 2010 (12 night Vancouver - Honolulu). It's for our 25th so I really want to safeguard against disappointment. But thanks for the suggestion anyway!

Thanks for all the help. I'll be calling the TA in the morning!

Alma: Now that the rest of the story is known, don't blame you for not wanting to wait. We also sailed Vancouver to Hawaii for our 25th anniversary (6 years ago now :eek: ) and would not have given that cruise up PERIOD!!! Enjoy your cruise. Sounds like you are on the right track!!!

Bruce

That was all my info. I knew it was all correct and all discounts will apply. The only one that does not combine even when it was bought before the Jan 1, 2009 timeframe is the crown and anchor coupons. It can be one or the other. The doubling of the obc really is wonderful incentive to hold onto that next cruise certificate for a longer cruise. Good luck. I am glad I wrote in. So many times I hesitate thinking others will yell...... seen so much of that here! Glad to have helped!

Call the TA back and ask them if you book direct with RCL and get your goodies from them applied immediately can you then transfer right afterwards to them and take advantage of the additional OBC that they are offering.

I know the TA that you're speaking of and they are great customer service wise. They will tell you right away on the phone if you can gather your rewards from RCL and then double the dip with them. I'm inclined to say that they will, but it wouldn't hurt to place a call just to confirm.

I took advantage of the WOW sale and booked a cruise on the Oasis of the Seas for Sept 2010.

I also saved a total of $440-$100 on board credit, paid gratuties, and $200 off the cost of our balcony stateroom for being a Diamond member.

Since money is tight, I loved the fact that the deposit was cut in half. It's a great sale, but it ends tomorrow so there is not much time left to take advantage of the savings.

sounds like a lovely cruise & congrats on your 25th!!

One thing you might want to ask the TA about before you switch is price drops? Do they honor them & if they do will it reduce your OBC or Pre-paid gratuities... I've found that with the online TA's many times they will honor the price drops, but at the expense of your OBC...just something to be aware of..

I checked with my TA as well and she in turn called Royal and apparently the email wasn't correct - that it wasn't a wow sale from Royal Carribean, although it was advertised as such - a true wow sale is put out by Royal Carribean only. If you are registered with Royal they will email you directly.

There should be a wow sale coming up I was told - usually October or November.

Archived