Cabo-snorkeling at Santa Maria and Chilena- worthwhile?

NWgal65

Hi all,

Anyone snorkeled in this area in Cabo? I am considering booking the 4-hour tour through Johann and Sandra (Cabosanlucastours) Sometimes the snorkeling is so-so in these populated areas where cruises go.

Thanks for any input!

Santa Maria and Chilano are seperate bays but very close to each other. I have snorkled at both. You will not see as many colorful fish like you do in Hawaii or the Carribbean but the fish are always plentiful. I prefer Chilano but most of the snorkle tours go to Santa Maria.

You can book a tour yourself unless you are getting a better deal. Do you know which company they are booking for you? I like Pez Gato and the Eco Cat. Stay away from the Jungle Cruise unless you really like to drink and play drinking games. Princessa and Oceanus also get good reviews.

Also the water can be very cold depending on when you are going. The water is the warmest from August-December when it starts to cool down again. It is warmest in October, about 85 degrees.

Cabo can Lucas Tours is just a booking company not the actual tour operator. As far as I know only 2 snorkle companies go to Chilano regularly, the Sun Rider and the Oceanus. Princess was just the booking company as well, the actual tour operator is local in Cabo so it could be the same one.

Thank you for the info! It sounds like it is worthwhile. I don't know which company they use...the site just says this particular tour takes scuba divers and snorkelers and goes to both bays. Thanks for the tips on water temps...going in September so should be okay. I went on a cruise and snorkeling excursion in December in Caribbean and I was so cold. Many others seemed fine, but to me, it was too cold. Part of it was just the weather that day...very cool. We will be staying away from the jungle cruises...ha ha. No need to show my teen daughters what options lie ahead in their future!

Hi -

We did both bays last August, and it was great...water was the perfect temp (definitely NOT cold!!) for the hot day.

We do not snorkel frequently, but I truly enjoyed it, and my twins (8 at the time) said "this is the coolest thing I have ever done".

The water was even clear enough to take a family picture where you could see the fish surrounding us in the water.

Enjoy!!!

:);)

Jennifer

Hi -

We did both bays last August, and it was great...water was the perfect temp (definitely NOT cold!!) for the hot day.

We do not snorkel frequently, but I truly enjoyed it, and my twins (8 at the time) said "this is the coolest thing I have ever done".

The water was even clear enough to take a family picture where you could see the fish surrounding us in the water.

Enjoy!!!

:);)

Jennifer

Do you remember the name of the boat that you were on?

• 2 weeks later...

we were in Cabo Aug 7th and booked snorkeling at Chileno Bay thru Carnival. Tendering was fast and easy as people they booked were in a smaller tender boats rather than waiting in one big catamaran that needs to fill up before it goes to port. We were in port for a short wait before we boarded the catamaran Sun Riser that will bring us to the snorkelling site. They brought us first to the "arch" for a good look at the formations and take some photos, briefly positioned the boat to catch those wonderful pics....and then to the location, travel time about an hour. Mask,fin, swimjacket provided. Snorkel about an hour. Water a little cloudy, not too many fishes, corals mostly gone, too many tourists, but the the crew were outstanding. Beer/alcohol, chips,tuna sandwich, tomato/guacamole dip very good on the way back with nice music blasting. Had a wonderful time and will check out Cayman islands for snorkelling adventure as one co-cruiser suggested. The other plus for Carnival sponsored activity is you get to the tender boats ahead in line going back to the ship as the checkpoint is closer to the docking ports while those on other tours make a line way out far from the docks before they get to the checkpoints. The reason i did the carnival tour is the short port stay in Cabo but i did outside bookings for PV and Maztlan with no problem at all. Hope this helps and happy cruising!

we were in Cabo Aug 7th and booked snorkeling at Chileno Bay thru Carnival. Tendering was fast and easy as people they booked were in a smaller tender boats rather than waiting in one big catamaran that needs to fill up before it goes to port. We were in port for a short wait before we boarded the catamaran Sun Riser that will bring us to the snorkelling site. They brought us first to the "arch" for a good look at the formations and take some photos, briefly positioned the boat to catch those wonderful pics....and then to the location, travel time about an hour. Mask,fin, swimjacket provided. Snorkel about an hour. Water a little cloudy, not too many fishes, corals mostly gone, too many tourists, but the the crew were outstanding. Beer/alcohol, chips,tuna sandwich, tomato/guacamole dip very good on the way back with nice music blasting. Had a wonderful time and will check out Cayman islands for snorkelling adventure as one co-cruiser suggested. The other plus for Carnival sponsored activity is you get to the tender boats ahead in line going back to the ship as the checkpoint is closer to the docking ports while those on other tours make a line way out far from the docks before they get to the checkpoints. The reason i did the carnival tour is the short port stay in Cabo but i did outside bookings for PV and Maztlan with no problem at all. Hope this helps and happy cruising!

Could it be the name of the boat was Sun Rider? I don't think there is a Sun Riser as far as I can see unless it is new?

If you are on a cruise ship to the Mexican Riviera and don't have the time to go to Cabo Pulmo (3 hour round-trip from the cruise pier), then I think Santa Maria and/or Chileno Bay are the best bet for snorkeling in the Mexican Riviera. You can see a lot of fish in Puerto Vallarta, more actually than in Cabo, but Cabo has a nice blue color that PV doesn't have, which for me makes for a nice snorkeling experience. Those two spots are definitely the best in Cabo San Lucas, and definitely better than anything Mazatlan can offer. PV has a lot of fish, rays, even seahorses, and dolphins, but the water is usually green instead of the nice blue color in Chileno Bay or Santa Maria cove.

You won't find snorkeling like the Caribbean or Hawaii in the Mexican Riviera except Cabo Pulmo but I think these locations are the best of the main ports for most people. If you are an experienced snorkeler, you can see some pretty cool things in PV you usually won't see in Cabo, but for the novice snorkeler, the overall enjoyment of being in the warm, blue water, and seeing tropical fish is best enjoyed in Cabo.

The water is bathtub warm from now until about December, when it starts to cool off pretty fast. Still comfortable until spring then it gets a bit nippy.

Hope this helps, have fun!

If you are on a cruise ship to the Mexican Riviera and don't have the time to go to Cabo Pulmo (3 hour round-trip from the cruise pier),

For Johann & Sandra - we are on the Radiance in Cabo on Wednesday, 12/2/09. We are there from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. Is this sufficient time to get to Cabo Pulmo and if so, do you set that up? Should we rent a car? Taxi? Thanks so much for the info. Bring our own snorkel gear?

We went last week on the Tropicat to Chileno Bay, via RCCl excursion. It was a great snorkeling trip. While there weren't as many colors/fish as the Caribbean, it was much better than I expected. The water was VERY warm. Open (free) bar and snack on the way back, and a fun crew. I would go back to Chileno Bay.

We have a private van tour reserved through Johann & Sandra & are trying to figure out where we all want to go. I was thinking of suggesting a snorkeling stop. Where would a good beach snorkeling stop be close to the Los Cabos area? We don't want to go too far away. Could we snorkel from the beach at Chileno or Santa Maria?

Been snorkeling at both beaches many times; we simply rent a car for cheap and drive to the beaches ourselves. All beaches in Mexico are public and free, and parking is super easy (plus you can do your own thing without the expense and hassle of an excursion).

Be warned that the surf at Santa Maria can get a bit rough, so getting into the water to snorkel can be a challenge. I'd recommend it for experienced snorkelers / swimmers ONLY.

Snorkeling is worthwhile at both beaches. Lots and lots of fish, and clear waters.

Have fun!

Been snorkeling at both beaches many times; we simply rent a car for cheap and drive to the beaches ourselves. All beaches in Mexico are public and free, and parking is super easy (plus you can do your own thing without the expense and hassle of an excursion).

Be warned that the surf at Santa Maria can get a bit rough, so getting into the water to snorkel can be a challenge. I'd recommend it for experienced snorkelers / swimmers ONLY.

Snorkeling is worthwhile at both beaches. Lots and lots of fish, and clear waters.

Have fun!

Thank you for the reply. Does either beach have a resort or other facility that the non-beach people with us could enjoy while we snorkel?

We went to both bays last Oct. on zodiacs through Ocean Riders. I, too, found Chileno to be better then Santa Maria, but if you went far enough out at Santa Maria you could see some interesting schools of fish (wouldn't recommend this if you aren't a swimmer, though). Both bays are relatively small so snorkeling from the beach would be good. One thing I did find odd about Ocean Riders is they didn't supply fins, just snorkels and mask. Don't know if that's typical, but I sure like having fins on in the ocean!

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know how much a taxi/bus would cost for 4 to get to Chileno Bay?

It would be about $40 each way. However, unless you arrange with your cab driver to back and pick you up at a certain time, I'm not sure how you would find one to take you back. There are no facilites there and it is a pretty long hike from the busy highway to the beach. I would rent a car or take one of the snorkle tours.

we booked eco cat for september we are on the mariner $40 snorkeling bbq lunch and open bar for 4 hours check out their website

What cruise line are you sailing with? Carnival Splendor has it listed that we leave at 3PM and the web site for this tour says 11:30 to 3.

I assume your ship leaves later? or does anyone know if I have more time than i think with my ship?

Archived