Roundtrip hawaii cruise - what not to miss?

MTJSR

We just booked the February 28th, 2010 Hawaii round trip from Los Angeles. We are a group of 4 (previous princess cruisers) so far, possibly more. From those who have taken this cruise, what would you suggest we not miss whether it's on the ship or in the ports of call. We appreciate your suggestions

countdown.pl?name=mtjsr&date=2-28-2010ℑ=Beach-8&text=&ship=Golden Princess

On the night we were in Honolulu (this was back in 2005), a group of local kids came onboard to give a show. We missed it as we had gone into town to do a little shopping, but heard raves from my daughter (the kids were taken to the show) and many adults.

On the ship they offer ukulele and lei making lessons. Sign up for these as soon as possible! (And sign up for a LOT of the ukulele lessons, unless you're already a guitar player) The CD (Dave Cole) and the entertainers (Elua) teach these and they're fabulous! (We made orchid leis at the first or second class, wore them to the deck party and then took them with us when we went to see the aRIZONA IN hONOLULU AND THREW THE ORCHIDS IN THE WATER AS A MEMORIAL.)

All of the port talks are educational and given by naturalists. They are also not to be missed.

On Hilo, we rented a car and went to Volcano National Park. NOT TO BE MISSED! There is also a fabulous botanical garden on Hilo!

I learned most of this from the Hawaii Roundtrip Cruisers thread on the Hawaii Ports of Call board. Go there for more info.

It's a wonderful cruise!

Don't miss Volcanos National Park (walk the lava tube, its great) and drive around the park and leave an offering to Pele. We rented a car in Hilo and went to the park and the tsunami museum. Helicopter(Blue Hawaiian) or catamaran ride on Kauaʻi If you can afford it the copter ride is fantastic. on Maui if you have an adventurous driver Haleakalā is great, but a scary drive. (we thought there should be a bumper sticker that said "I PEED MY PANTS ON THE WAY TO Haleakalā.) They also have excursions where they drive you to the top of the mountain and you bicycle down. Also do at least one snorkel trip, the fish are great.

Also when we came into the Aloha Tower pier in Honolulu they have a Hawaiian band and dancers on the pier. When we went in on the Star 2 years ago, the security guard was dancing to the music with walkie talkie in hand. It was charming.

Do not miss the Whale watching in Maui...with the Pacific Whale Society...office is located near the banyon tree in town. Check their web site on line.

We loved this cruise so much we have done it twice in the last 5 years, On the Island and on the Diamond.

You will love the cruise.

All great ideas. My last cruise was a week on the Grand out of Galveston, never really got a chance to enjoy the ship activities. I imagine these longer cruises have lots more to do while at sea?

All great ideas. My last cruise was a week on the Grand out of Galveston, never really got a chance to enjoy the ship activities. I imagine these longer cruises have lots more to do while at sea?

The sea days are packed full with activities. There is so much going on that sometimes it is hard to get to everything you might want to do.

Call and reserve your rental car and most companies will pick you up, are right there, or have a shuttle. You can arrange for the car in advance and call them from your cell phone when you are ready to disembark. Also, get maps from them before you leave, they can help with itineraries.

Pearl Harbor. I went reluctantly, but once I was there I was so glad I had gone. It is definitely not to be missed.

I would second that - well worth the effort as was the walk up Diamond Head

Archived