Freedom 8/23 Ports of Call Question

karla_sue

I was trying to use the search function, but for some reason my computer is being difficult.

Anyway, I was browsing around, and noticed that some ports of call (or PoC to start using the lingo around here), are not near anything, for lack of a better word, touristy.

I was wondering if anyone knows if this is true of my upcoming cruise. I am on the Freedom sailing from Ft. Lauderdale on Aug 23. Our ports are Key West, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios.

Since our budget is going to be very tight, we aren't doing any excursions, and don't want to eat while off the ship. So, we expect to hop off, grab a few souveniers, take a couple of dozen pics, then head back to the ship. Preferably before lunch. :-) Specially since we dock at like 7, 7:30, and 8am at the various ports.

I expect we'll be fine in Key West, but I have no idea about the other two. Or maybe we won't be fine in Key West? That's my point: I don't know. Can anyone tell me if we'll need to find transporation to a shopping area or something?

For each port: I plan on grabbing a magnet, and hubby needs his souvenier playing cards. He's got like 40 decks from places he's been, since he was a kid.

The kids will get a small toy or something crafty. I bought t-shirts during our first cruise, and now they don't fit anymore! Duh! So no more clothing based souveniers for us. We'll be looking for something small, but cheap, to be a reminder of each port for the kids.

Cayman you tender into town and the shopping is right there..... On a budget I would suggest taking a cab to Sea Grapes beach.... its a free public beach on 7 mile and it's beautiful .... for 4 of you the cab will cost about $20 each way..... shopping in Cayman is expensive and remember prices are in Cayman dollars so you will be paying more than sticker in some places .... always ask.... Get out of the port area and go to the beach it's beautiful.....

Ocho Rios you dock in town..... cheap shopping but aggressive.... beautiful island.... better if you can get out a little and see some stuff....

Not sure about Key West but my impression is that you dock in town and most things are with in walking distance ..... have fun......

On a budget I would suggest taking a cab to Sea Grapes beach.... its a free public beach on 7 mile and it's beautiful .... for 4 of you the cab will cost about $20 each way.....

This is exactly the kind of thing I can't afford after our emergency car issues.

We want to be able to get off, get our few souveniers & picturess, then get back on board. This car repair could not have come at a worse time.

Thanks for you other info.

Anyone else, feel free to jump in as well!

We are going to the same ports in November. This will be our 3rd time at Grand Caymen. The first time we went to Hell and the Turtle Farm. It was fun. The last time we went, we just hung out at the port, walked around, went to Margaritaville.. stuff like that. There is an AWESOME Rum Cake Factory (Tortuga Rum Cake Factory) there too. YUM! You can take the rum cakes on board, but not the rum.. LOL! I think you would be fine just hanging out there... That way you are only paying for whatever you want to buy..

This will be our 1st time going to Key West and Ocho Rios. We have been to Montego Bay though. We plan on hanging out in the port area both places... :)

I would be interested to hear what you end up doing. I am on the Freedom on September 20th and cannot wait. I know we are going to do the Conch train in Key West, but it is $29 a person. In Grand Cayman we are going to just walk around and Ochos Rios I am doing the River Falls. This is my third cruise and will be the first time that I have done anything but walk around. The first cruise it was myself and my two daughters. So anything we did was X 3... Needless to say we didn't do much, but we all still had a great time!

I would be interested to hear what you end up doing. I am on the Freedom on September 20th and cannot wait. I know we are going to do the Conch train in Key West, but it is $29 a person. In Grand Cayman we are going to just walk around and Ochos Rios I am doing the River Falls. This is my third cruise and will be the first time that I have done anything but walk around. The first cruise it was myself and my two daughters. So anything we did was X 3... Needless to say we didn't do much, but we all still had a great time!

My husband will probably end up doing the review. He's better at this computer stuff than I am, and I'd need his help putting up pictures anyway

And don't try to convince me that I can do it. I'm sure I could if I tried, but I'd rather let him do it.

We'll be on the 9/20 Freedom cruise, but we have been to all of the ports before. In Key West, you'll be docking within easy walking distance to all of the shops. On the ports of call boards, there's lots of information and maps if you want to do your own walking tour or just google key west to get some ideas. Although it's a hike, the Southernmost Point and the 0 mile marker for US Highway 1 are great photo ops. If you can swing it, the trolley tour gives you a great overview. And of course, walk to Margarittaville and Sloppy Joes.

Grand Cayman is a tendering port but there are lots of shops near where the tenders are with various tshirts, stingray items and things from Hell. There are also a couple varieties of rum cakes and don't forget the Big Black Dick Rum. There's also a Margaritaville in GC.

It's been several years since we've been to Ocho Rios and from what I've read there are now shops within walking distance of the port. And there is another Margaritaville! There's was a flea market downtown (you'll need a cab) but the vendors were willing to make deals. We bought a couple of canvas pictures of Jamaica.

Check out the ports of call boards. There is lots of info.

Good luck and have a great time. Key West and Grand Cayman are two of my favorite ports!

I have been to Grand Cayman and Ochos Rios many times, but this will be my first time in Key West. Grand Cayman is one of my very favorite ports. Try to make it to the Seven Mile Beach, just beautiful. I also love the shopping in the Caymans. I will be on the Freedom as well on Aug 23rd. At this time I have made no plans for any of the ports. Definately will do something in Key West as I want to see the area. At Grand Cayman, I will hit the beach then shop. I plan to stay on the ship in Ochos Rios as I vacationed in Jamacia in April. Have a wonder time and maybe we will run into each other on the ship.

We'll be on the 9/20 Freedom cruise, but we have been to all of the ports before. In Key West, you'll be docking within easy walking distance to all of the shops. On the ports of call boards, there's lots of information and maps if you want to do your own walking tour or just google key west to get some ideas. Although it's a hike, the Southernmost Point and the 0 mile marker for US Highway 1 are great photo ops. If you can swing it, the trolley tour gives you a great overview. And of course, walk to Margarittaville and Sloppy Joes.

Grand Cayman is a tendering port but there are lots of shops near where the tenders are with various tshirts, stingray items and things from Hell. There are also a couple varieties of rum cakes and don't forget the Big Black Dick Rum. There's also a Margaritaville in GC.

It's been several years since we've been to Ocho Rios and from what I've read there are now shops within walking distance of the port. And there is another Margaritaville! There's was a flea market downtown (you'll need a cab) but the vendors were willing to make deals. We bought a couple of canvas pictures of Jamaica.

Check out the ports of call boards. There is lots of info.

Good luck and have a great time. Key West and Grand Cayman are two of my favorite ports!

I'll be on the September 6th Freedom cruise to the three ports mentioned. Been to all three several times and this time . . . no excursions. Plan to do exactly what you noted. These are three ports that one does not need an excursion to visit. Though for a first time visitor . . . I would recommend a tour of Grand Cayman and Ocho Rios. After that first time . . . doing it on your own is the way to go . . .:p

In Key West, you dock right by the downtown area. We didn't do an excursion there, just spent the day walking around. And you would be able to go out in the AM, come back for lunch, and still go back into town in the afternoon if you wanted.

Like everybody said, Cayman Islands is a tender and is very expensive.

In Ocho Rios, it is a long walk down the pier and there is a little shopping mall area within walking distance (but it is a very hot walk). But, like has been said, the street vendors are very agressive.

Enjoy!!!

Archived