Meal planning ideas for low carbers-----HELP --need suggestions!!

SEA SOUNDS

I have read Atkins and South Beach Diet and I still have a hard time deciding on what to eat!!!!!!!!!!!!Can you believe it? I get sick of the same things all the time, so I thought that you could all help me out and let me know what you eat for breakfast, snacks, lunch, snack and dinner. I think it will give me some ideas and get me going again.

Thanks for the help

I eat almost the same thing every day. I know it works, so I try to stick with it. Here's my meals:

Breakfast- I take egg substitute and pour a muffin cup 3/4 full. I add in a little cheese (any kind will do... I use low carb/low fat cheese) and bake for 30 minutes at 350. I make enough for the week every Sunday. I also warm up a couple of pieces of turkey bacon and drink Crystal Lite Orange. It tastes exactly like Tang and has no carbs.

Lunch- Roll-up sandwich with low carb tortilla, low fat/carb ham and low carb/fat cheese. I also eat a Power Bar Pria low carb in peanut butter or brownie. I buy these by the case at Sams to save $$.

Dinner- Lean meat (chicken, steak, pork tenderloin), salad and green veggie.

For snacks, I eat nuts, low carb chocolate or cheese.

I have an omelet almost every morning. The omelet varies from day to day. I keep a variety of meats and cheeses on hand. the meats include turkey, ground turkey, ground beef, beef chunks,ham, luncheon meat, meat loaf, crab, chicken, etc,. The cheese is pre-grated and frozen so I have a variety of cheddar, longhorn, jack and mozerella. Some days I will add veggies like broccoli or zucchini that was a leftover from dinner. On occasion I will add tomato, ground beef and add taco type seasonings to make a taco omelet. Top with fresh salsa. You can also make a chinese type of egg foo young omelet. Spices and ingredients can change the flavor of the most common foods.

I also have a green salad everyday for lunch. The salad is a hodge podge of whatever I have on hand. I keep 3 to 4 types of lettuce, romaine, red leaf, green leaf, and iceburg. I have a tupperware container that keeps my salad goodies which include cucumber, radishes, green onion, tomato, avocado, purple or green cabbage. I also include marinated artichoke hearts. I finish off the salad with one of the above meats or a can of tuna and some chesse. Lo carb dressing is the finishing touch. My tummy looks forward to the salad everyday because it is different everyday with the variety of meats, cheeses and goodies.

Dinner varies so that I don't have the same meats for dinner that I had for lunch. Have you tried the frozen califlower that is blended to make a "mashed potato' type of side dish. HMMMMM. That is one of my favorites.

Have you made a chicken or beef stew with the allowed veggies? It tastes so good that you feel like you are cheating.

The fudgecycles that are sugar free keep me from losing my mind when my kids are eating ice cream. In fact I have trouble keeping them out of my fudge bars. They whine sometimes wanting my treats even tho they have two or three varitieties of ice cream available. Don't feel too sorry for them, they are teenagers which have a wide variety of treats including Bryers Ice Cream.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing.

Deb

For breakfast, I have a Slim Fast Low Carb shake before I go to the gym

Lunch is usually either hotdogs with cheese, or a low carb tortila with unbreaded chicken strips with cheese and ranch dressing.

Dinner varies, but hamburgers, chicken chop suey, salad, have been typical lately.

I love the 0 carb Carb Smart dreamsicles that come in orange cream and mixed berry cream.

I really believe SBD is a healthier way of eating than Atkins and have personally done or watched both. I also need to watch fats and sodium intake due to health probs and family history. I had <10 lb to lose but was having trouble with just regular watching myself, probably since I am excercise phobic and over 55. I never really did phase 1 SBD but did restrict carbs and severly reduce processed foods and bad carbs (sugar, flour, regular pasta, rice, bread) to 1/day. Always did my wine at nite and at least one starch carb/day and 1 fruit. Also allowed myself i cheat meal/week (usually pizzia or itallian beef or sausage) Lost the weight in about 6 weeks. Been real bad over the holidays and gained back about 7 lb but lost over 1 lb in 1 day when I went back to my original SBD program.

SBD can teach you what your body can tolerate (which does change with age and activity level). It can be time consuming in the first weeks or month to plan and cook for your needs but it soon becomes automatic. Tonights dinner is planned with tomorrows lunch in mind. Tonight I am doing a chicken stir fry with 5 c of veggies so I have lunch for Wed. Everyone has a different threshold that they can handle. You need time and patience to discover yours.

I eat a crepe every morning (most anyway) made out of eggs and ricotta cheese. It satisfies my sweet tooth and fills me up. If you want the recipe, let me know and I'll post it.

Like Holly, I also plan my dinners while keeping lunch in mind for the next day. We normally eat a low-fat meat with a bean/pea and a green veggie. I eat low-fat, no sugar added fudge pops for dessert.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you have a Publix near you - they have a Chicken Cordon Bleu - wrapped in bacon - not breaded - that I could pretty well eat 7 days a week (and do for about 3 or 4 days out of the week - it's that good !! *LOL*) You can usually get two in a package for less than $6.00 - they're large - so that's either 2 dinners, or 1 dinner and 1 lunch. For variety - they also have a salmon "pinwheel" that's "stuffed" with crabmeat - WONDERFUL !!! add a salad - some green beans w/bacon & walnuts and that's a great dinner !! :-)

Wow Tallblonde- Thanks for the ideas. I don't have a publix but either of those would be so easy to make. I may have to pick up some swiss cheese and ham and make that Chicken Cordon Bleu this week. I always hated to make it but the breading part is what I didn't like. Too messy. Bacon would be a cinch!

Tami

this one a friend and I made-up - it's like a frittata (sp?) - and YUMMY if you like seafood !! saute shrimp, scallops, onion, mushrooms in butter in pan - transfer to baking dish - pile LOTS of cheese on top of the seafood in baking dish - whip up eggs with milk/cream and pour over seafood & cheese - bake till firm. This is sooooooooooooooooooooooo good !! :-)

I haven't tried it, except the sample menus, but you can sign up for Menu Mailers, which have a low carb choice, at http://www.savingdinner.com/ . They actually look pretty good, and give you the whole shopping list for the week! Only dinner tho.

I've been using this for at least 6 months now and love it. I don't have to worry about what's for dinner anymore or my basic shopping list. The biggest plus for me though is the suggestions for side dishes and not getting bored with dinner. The low carb version also includes non low carb sides for anyone in your family who isn't eating low carb.

plenty of ideas here:

http://www.suzannesomers.com/Community/

under 'Discussion' people post all their recipes........

scroll down to the menus or recipes

this is somersizing but will work for anyone trying to limit sugar or carbs in their diet........somersizing does allow carbs - it's a combining thing.. :) I started this when I was searching for a healthier way of eating for my teenage daughter and for myself....

you can probaby modify these based on your own WOE......just one more tool.......:)

Archived