Charlotte Amalie, St Thomas

Ms Ann

Have any of you walked/chair from ship dock to the downtown area? We've been there, but didn't try to go down down. This time we might try tooling over there if it is possible.

Any ideas, suggestions???

I have to disagree on this. It's about a half mile just to the main road, and then another mile and one half or more to the very edge of downtown if you're docked at Havensite. With the crazy traffic I'm not sure it would be doable. Plus, not all places have cut out curbs and the sidewalks in some parts are very rough and broken up.

Not only is St Thomas hot and humid, if there are several ships in port it's wall-to-wall people with heavy road traffic. I don't recommend walking to downtown. Take a cab and, as cruised pointed out, sidewalks can be uneven in spots and without curb cuts.

If you want to see more of the island, take a tour.

depends on wheeling ability. we did it and i found it quite hot but it was level wheeling. not sure i would do it again. sidewalk wasn't bumpy. if i had an electric chair or scooter i would do it again

NOT SAFE - SOME AREAS VERY QUESTIONABLE -- HIGH CRIME AREA! Vicki from NY:)

Wow, It didn't look that far when I did Google Earth. Although the distance would not matter with his power chair, and I enjoy walking.

I can't find accessable taxis listed. He can not transfer, and the power chair is huge and HEAVY, no lifting by hand. So town may not be possible.

If I remember correctly there is an open air resterant on the back edge of Haversham(sp) mall. We may just wander a little and get a bit to eat there.

We docked in Charlotte Amalie---it was a fairly easy 6-8 block walk to the shops, going past the harbor. We sort of continued in a "circle" and came back to the ship via another "shopping street"...it wasn't difficult--just a bit crowded (and hot!)

We didn't go wandering off the "beaten path" and didn't feel "unsafe" in the least!!!

We didn't spend too much time (maybe 2 hours) as we had an excursion later in the day.

It's not unsafe or difficult at all.

Dial a ride has good wheelchair transportation in st. thomas - cheap too.

This info is from the EMERGING HORIZONS RESOURCES WEBSITE . Don't know how current it is , but it may be of help to you. http://emerginghorizons.com/resources/index.php?viewCat=176

St. Thomas Dial-A-Ride (St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands)

Available to both locals and tourists, St. Thomas Dial-A-Ride provides accessible transportation throughout St. Thomas in one of their six lift-equipped or lowered-floor vehicles. Visitors pay a one time registration fee of $25, which includes a round trip transfer to any St. Thomas property. After that, St. Thomas Dial-A-Ride fares are equivalent to local taxi fares. All St. Thomas Dial-A-Ride fares include free transportation for one companion. St. Thomas Dial-A-Ride also provides free access information about the tourist attractions and hotels on St. Thomas; and they offer accessible day tours of the island. Advance notice (one month) is required for all tours, while reservations for local transportation must be made 24 hours in advance.

Rosemary Sumas, Executive Director

PO Box 9500

St. Thomas, USVI 00801

dar@viaccess.net

Phone: (340)776-1277

Fax: (340)777-5383

St. John Dial-A-Ride (St. John, US Virgin Islands)

St. John Dial-A-Ride provides accessible transportation and days tours for visitors to the island of St. John. Choose from a two hour island tour, or customize a tour to fit your needs and tastes. Accessible transportation is available for $1 per ride. Advance notice (one week) is required for all tours, while reservations for local transportation must be made 24 hours in advance.

St. John Dial-A-Ride also provides free access information about the tourist attractions and hotels on St. John.

Mary Blazone

andblaze@viaccess.net

Phone: (340)693-7600

Phone: (340)693-9410

Archived