Need help planning day trip in Halifax

SF

We are thinking of renting a car and I was wondering if it would be possible to drive to Peggy's Cove, Lunenberg, and Mahone Bay from the cruise dock if we arrive 8am and leave at 5pm? Any information on how far they are from each other and which order we should visit them would be really helpful.:)

First I suggest you do a search for what you want to know by going to the top of the Canada posts. Look for 'search' on the yellow bar below the CruiseCritic logo. These questions have been asked before.

Yes it is possible to go to Peggy's Cove, Mahone Bay and Lunenberg in one day, but you may not have time to do much more than drive by. I have named them in the order in which you would go through them taking the old road - route 333 and then route 3. Alternately you could take the main highway, Route 103 to Lunenberg and work your way back.

I think your day would be much more enjoyable if you go no further than Mahone Bay. We hope you will like what you experience and will want to come back.

I think you can get to Lunenberg in about an hour from the outskirts of Halifax on the 103, but there is nothing to see from this highway. It is much better to meander on the back roads, leaving time to get back to the ship.

Go to Google maps and put in Peggys Cove and zoom in and out. Then move west and look at Chester and Mahone Bay. There are miles of coastline with little villages.

I would suggest Peggy's Cove. It has a nice gift shop and a lovely restaurant. Plus lot's of really neat photo ops!

also, check out the Swisair flight 111 memorial. It is right by Peggy's Cove since the flight crashed off the shores of Peggy's cove. I live about 15 minutes from there and I take all my "tourist" friends to the cove everytime. You can spend 2-3 hours there walking on the rocks, eating at the restaurant and shopping in the gift store. Then take a nice drive back to Halifax and see the sights at the dock. Take the harbour hopper, Keith tour, etc. I'd skip Mahone Bay to be honest.

Archived