Alltel Cell Phone Service on Alaska Cruise

Overtime4me2

Has anyone used their Alltel cell service while on an Alaska cruise? I have the Nationwide plan, but like to know if the Alaska ports (Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, Haines, Skagway, Seward) are covered by Alltel. Will there be roaming fees if I have the Nationwide plan?

I can't seem to get a straight answer. Sounds like I "shouldn't" but I have to "watch out for roaming"????

Alltel is now mostly Verizon which has outstanding service in Alaska. But sadly, Alaska was one of the areas that Verizon was NOT able to integrate into its network, due to regulatory requirements for the merger.

OP, have you been "converted" to Verizon at your home??? If so, then your phone will run on Alaska's Verizon network. If not, sorry, slim and no coverage in Alaska.

I'm not sure about Alltel, as I have AT&T, but I would advise against using your cell phone ON the ship. I know they have cell service on-board cruise ships now, and I learned the hard way that you get charged ALOT to use your phone on-board because of the roaming. I used my cell phone just to call my husband once a day in a less-than-5-minute phone call on a cruise from Galveston to Mexico (didn't use the phone in port at all), and the phone bill was almost $200. I will NEVER use my phone on the ship again. At least in Alaska, I can use my cell in port!

I have Alltel and called the company today about roaming charges. I paid $10 for 100 minutes of roaming and was told I could use this in Alaska. I will only use the phone in port to avoid the Ship's tower. I also specified that I only have this additional fee and minutes over this current month so the charge does not become a permanent part of my monthly billing. I'm sorry to hear there is not the ability to "roam" with Alltel.

Also be careful in proximity to Canada. You may think you're roaming for free but are going through a Canadian provider. Check the display on your phone and confirm what company is providing service.

Alltel is now mostly Verizon which has outstanding service in Alaska. But sadly, Alaska was one of the areas that Verizon was NOT able to integrate into its network, due to regulatory requirements for the merger.

OP, have you been "converted" to Verizon at your home??? If so, then your phone will run on Alaska's Verizon network. If not, sorry, slim and no coverage in Alaska.

I'm pretty sure we've been converted as we have received numerous mailings about the merger. Does that mean that I will be ok in port?? I know not to use it on the ship. Mainly just want to be able to call home to check on grandmother while we're gone.

Thank you everyone for the help :)

I was also one of those that got a big surprise when I got my Tmobile after my cruise last month. I didn't use it aboard the ship while is was moving. I did, however, use it once we were docked, but still on board. I was charged 4.99 a minute!!! :eek:thankfully I only used about 22minutes, but I still was hit hard with the bill.

Bottom line, unless you think your family might need you for an emergency while on board, shut your phone off totally while on board and just take it with you while in port. We did have free roaming while IN Alaska's ports, however not while in Vancouver or when we were in the Yukon. We were NOT covered in Canada at all. So, the lesson here is check to see if your company/plan covers Alaska with no roaming charges, then JUST use it away from the ship.

We have Verizon cell phone service. In Alaska, like on the ship, can we use the cell phones to call my teenage sons while onboard without being charged roaming charges? Also, can we talk to one another while in the ports in Alaska without incurring any other charges? I understand we don't want to use it in Canada, but what about while in Alaskan ports, on board the ship while in US waters, etc? anyone know the answer to this? I don't want to arrive home and find a huge bill, especially if my teenages are talking to one another all over the ship!

We have Verizon cell phone service. In Alaska, like on the ship, can we use the cell phones to call my teenage sons while onboard without being charged roaming charges? Also, can we talk to one another while in the ports in Alaska without incurring any other charges? I understand we don't want to use it in Canada, but what about while in Alaskan ports, on board the ship while in US waters, etc? anyone know the answer to this? I don't want to arrive home and find a huge bill, especially if my teenages are talking to one another all over the ship!

Even if you call someone in the next cabin, the phone # you call is their regular phone #. So if you are in Alaska and you call your son in the next cabin, your phone will call his regular number which is located in your home town. You will be socked with long distance charges and roaming charges.

When passengers are on the ship, the ship's cellular provider takes over from your provider. It can be very expensive to use the ship's cellular service. And don't even think about checking your voice mail...that, too, is the same as making a call to your hometown. Ditto with text messaging.

The only safe time to use your cell phone is if you see your cellular carrier's name in the display. Then your normal cell phone provider is providing your service. BUT be aware you MAY still get charged roaming. That is why I suggest people call their carrier BEFORE going on the cruise and make sure your contract states that you have Nationwide roaming AND International roaming as part of your plan.

When you are at sea, keep the phone OFF.

We were up there in late July and the phone service worked fine in all of the ports. Theonly place it did not work was at the Mckinly Lodge.

We mad a call in Vancouver and Ketchikan, there was a $25 roaming charge associated with those calls.

Just an fyi. On our Alaskan cruise last month, several in my group had Alltel cell phones. I have Verizon. All of us are supposed to have free roaming and if you look at the Alltel cell coverage charts it does look like Anchorage area is covered. However, my kids' phones (Alltel) were charged roaming fees when they were in the ports - Juneau, Ketchikan, etc.($80) My Verizon phone was not billed.

We called Alltel and they took off the roaming fees as they said we had been such long time customers. On my Mom's Alltel phone she had charges of $25 for just 4 short calls and they would not take them off.

Archived