Cruising single - paying double port charges

duckie22

I am currently booked on a Carnival cruise and recently discovered that because I am cruising single that not only will I be charged 200% on the cruise fare but I am also being charged double the port charges. Has anyone else encountered this? Is it even legal? I thought the port charges went to the individual ports where the ship docked. Can anyone help me explain this?

I would check again with whoever you booked with, you should only be paying 1 set of taxes and charges. That is the only thing single cruisers get a discount on. Cindy

The port charges are included in the cruise fare, so if the OP is paying 200% he is indeed paying double port charges. You are probably thinking of the add on TAXES and fees, which do not include port charges.

OP, up until about a year ago, on the 1As, they would subtract out the 2nd set of port charges, and then you paid half...then they started to just cut the 2nd cruise fare in half so you paid half the 2nd port charges, on a 1A and indeed you are correct, you will pay the entire 2nd port charge on a solo cruise. It changed about a year ago, so I assume its legal and Carnival looked into it when they changed.

Not quite accurate. singles that can be content with a Cat. 1A are usually charged 130-150%, with one charge for taxes and port charges.;)

Yes it is true, sometimes they give you 130%, but usually its 150%. All the other categories, OP is paying TWO sets of port charges.

Iv helped a solo book before and after Carnival changed this about a year ago.

Some people are confused and think the add on taxes and fees include port charges .... which they dont... but the cruise fare is now charged at half the cruise fare, so you are paying half the fare which now includes port charges... Made quite a bit of difference in the total after the change.

The Booking Policy for single supplement is: "We charge 150% or 200% of the non-commissionable fee as well as the cruise rate. Air supplements, Transportation Fees (air taxes) and Cruise Fees (government fees) will only be charged one time."

As stated, Port Fees are included in The Cruiseline's Cruisefare; Government Fees and Taxes are different and are stated separately, and are specifically only charged once.

ken

The Booking Policy for single supplement is: "We charge 150% or 200% of the non-commissionable fee as well as the cruise rate. Air supplements, Transportation Fees (air taxes) and Cruise Fees (government fees) will only be charged one time."

As stated, Port Fees are included in The Cruiseline's Cruisefare; Government Fees and Taxes are different and are stated separately, and are specifically only charged once.

ken

I rereading this and boy its written confusing.... ok, the noncommionable fee is the port fares pretty much .... so they charge 150% or 200% of the noncommionsable fee ... they dont say anything about the commisionable portion, the fare portion of the cruise fare?? confusing

do you have a link, Id like to read it... but this probably is right... just leaves out they also charge 150% or 200% of the commisionable portion of the fare too.

Just did a comparison by 'booking' a cruise - as a double in a 1A and then as a single:

Double 1A = $778 + 77.16 (port/taxes)= 932.32

Single 1A = $583.50 + 77.16 = 660.66

The single rate is 150% of the double rate and you can see that the port charges/taxes are the same so yes it seems the solo traveller is paying the double rate!

Just did a comparison by 'booking' a cruise - as a double in a 1A and then as a single:

Double 1A = $778 + 77.16 (port/taxes)= 932.32

Single 1A = $583.50 + 77.16 = 660.66

The single rate is 150% of the double rate and you can see that the port charges/taxes are the same so yes it seems the solo traveller is paying the double rate!

Again, for those who still dont get this ..... the $77.16 is added taxes and fees ....

The added taxes and fees, do NOT include port charges .... seriously. Once and for all ..... please note that the amount added on does NOT includes port charges.

here is a good example just booked 2 OV view cabins for a 5 day september cruise, one for me and my wife which cost us - $543.xx and one for my mother as a single that cabin cost $505.xx so there it was not exacly double, my PVP said double on the cabin rate but only single on taxes and port charges. now whether or not it is actual Port charges or not i do not know but I know it was approximately $45 less then double. And he did offer her a IS cabin that would have only been 150%. but mama wanted a window. Also told us that she has up to theday before to add someone else and she would have to pay the taxes and other charges at the rate that catagory was selling for that day.

The added taxes and fees, do NOT include port charges .... seriously. Once and for all ..... please note that the amount added on does NOT includes port charges.

So where exactly are the port charges? And what are they? Are they incorporated into the cruise fare? Then how do you know what they are???

So where exactly are the port charges? And what are they? Are they incorporated into the cruise fare? Then how do you know what they are???

Well, I know a auction site that breaks out port charges from the cruise fare, and you only bid on the commissionable part of the cruise fare.

there was a class action lawsuit back in the 1990s, which said that it was deceptive to advertise the cruise fare and not include port charges, because they were such a large amount. Cruiselines now have to include port charges in the cruise fare.

I also cruised back in the day when port charges were paid as a add on, back in the late 80s, so I remember the advertising, which could double the cost of a cruise.

Several posters here got a break down from their TA and posted how much more they were being charges for port charges and taxes than Carnvial charges, and it was explained each time, just look at the bottom line, if its the same its fine ...

Ask a TA if there is commissionable and non commissionable portions of the cruise fare, they will say they are not paid commission on a big chuck of the cruise fare.

If you get say a 10% discount on a carnival cruise, people are always surprised how little it comes to. I know a TA who gives a 10% discount, but they first subtract out the port charge portion....

I know because I cruised before the class action law suit, I think it was thru the FL AG.

The cruiselines incorporate the Port Fees into the cruisefare and it's not broken-out or visible to us. Travel Agents often break them out separately in an itemized statement, as they do not get commission on them. Firefly can correct me if I mis-stated this!!! kenken

they are 2 At $178, and 2 at $238..same TBA cabin, same ship, Mon departure, same ports..my TA, says "thatz what comes up on his computer..I always question it..he says it is, what it is...so it has gone from $119, to $178, to $238, back and forth from $178..yet..if I'm paying for 2 ppl, why dont i get $40 refund for a missed one, and not the FULL amount..more queries...cruzes are as low as $97.50, $160, $216..then the added ports... I get soooooo fu-zzzzzed

Just letting you know that someone here is getting what you are saying. :)

lmao .... its my fault for being old and remembering back in 1988 paying $37 pp for port charges just for Bimini, and Freeport was even more.

.... and remembering the class action lawsuit, because i lived in Florida at the time.

they are 2 At $178, and 2 at $238..same TBA cabin, same ship, Mon departure, same ports..my TA, says "thatz what comes up on his computer..I always question it..he says it is, what it is...so it has gone from $119, to $178, to $238, back and forth from $178..yet..if I'm paying for 2 ppl, why dont i get $40 refund for a missed one, and not the FULL amount..more queries...cruzes are as low as $97.50, $160, $216..then the added ports... I get soooooo fu-zzzzzed

Because Carnival gives each person a flat $20 per missed port ..... and it says nothing about giving your back port charges or any mention of port charges.... this is their policy.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_Templates/Port_Cancellation_Policy.aspx

If safety, scheduling or other concerns prevent the ship from calling on an alternative port, Carnival shall promptly provide written notice of the elimination of the scheduled port to the guests as well as announcing the change in the Carnival Capers and via the public address system. The written notice shall also offer a shipboard credit of $20.00 (U.S.D.) per person to be reflected on the sail and sign account

Note it says nothing about returning the port charges you paid. It says each pax gets a flat $20.

Wow - so we're actually not getting our money back for a missed port? Sounds a bit deceiving as most people would assume that is what is happening...when in fact Carnival charges 'whatever' and only gives us back $20....sounds pretty fishy to me.....why are they not required to refund all the port charges if we legitimately did not 'port' at a specific spot and I asuume they did not have to pay anything as they did not dock there??? Shame on them...

Iv missed Coco Cay on RCL and got nothing back, so I kinda appreciate even getting the $20 OBC. True port charges would give us back over $50 pp. ... but Carnival didnt used to give anything back either. I figure it was $40 toward our tips that didnt come out of my pocket and Im sure Carnival figures it costs more to feed us if we dont go into port, and costs more gas, and has offsetting costs.

Yes it is true, sometimes they give you 130%, but usually its 150%. All the other categories, OP is paying TWO sets of port charges.

Iv helped a solo book before and after Carnival changed this about a year ago.

Some people are confused and think the add on taxes and fees include port charges .... which they dont... but the cruise fare is now charged at half the cruise fare, so you are paying half the fare which now includes port charges... Made quite a bit of difference in the total after the change.

I have booked a few of my friends as singles in balcony cabins they paid a single suppliment fee which was the second pax fee minus taxes and port fees.

I have booked a few of my friends as singles in balcony cabins they paid a single suppliment fee which was the second pax fee minus taxes and port fees.

They no longer subtract port fees from the fee, they used to. I too have booked a friend who isnt computer savy in a 1A by herself. They subtracted it for our last cruise, but not for our future cruise .... and yes Im positive.

They still subtract the 2nd person's "taxes and fees" but do not subtract out the port charges from the cruise fare when they figure the 150% or 200% like they used to.

Archived