Manhattan travel/car rental help for a Brit please

debsjc

This is very confusing, could use some local expertise please!

We are arriving into the Manhattan terminal, and want to get to Goshen in New York state (near the Woodbury outlets) by rental car. If possible I would like to use Alamo as my company gets a discount with them.

Not sure if we should try to pick up the car at/near the cruise terminal - or maybe its better to take a cab a little further out of the centre then pick the car up.

Altough ive driven a lot in the USA before, I don't like the idea of starting off in the centre of the city, with heavy traffic.

Could anyone recommend somewhere we could get a cab to, to pick up a Alamo rental car, that is on route to where we are going?

If this isn't possible do the car rental companies run a shuttle to the port, or would we have to take a cab to the nearest location anyway?

The cruise terminal is located on the west side, the traffic is not that bad there. Just Avoid midtown thats all. If your going upstate-you would just stay on the west side anyway going north on the henry hudson pkwy. Just be careful and relax.

Alamo has a location at 1138-146 East 50th Street. You can take a cab from the cruise terminal. Thats pretty much the best way.

or..

I would use enterprize rent a car though. Better prices usually plus they pick you up!! They have a location at 667 11th ave in NYC..

call them first to arrange...Tel.: (212) 262-3231 is the local number. The toll free is 1-800-261-7331

There's also an Alamo on W. 40th Street, which would be easier than having to go to East 50th Street, especially if you want to stay on the West side. It's an easy cab ride from the pier. The phone number is the same regardless. It's actually probably six of one, half a dozen of another regarding distance, but getting cross town is never as easy as it sounds.

(888) 826-6893

Thanks for all the information.

I went to book the car, and to my amazement Alamo don't have a location at JFK airport (our drop-off point)...... so now i'm renting with Avis (the other company I get a discount with)

They have 3 location on the west side.

I think the 54th Street location is too close to the port, a taxi would be really upset to go such a tiny distance.

That leaves

New York City West 43rd Street - and i'm guessing leaving by the Lincoln tunnel

or

New York West 83rd Street NY10024 and then taking the GW bridge

the mapquest for our route takes us across the GW bridge, but I dont know which is best.

I'm more concerned with which is going to be the easiest option for us, than getting the cheapest cab fare.

Any advice please?

I'd do the W43rd location. Still very close to the Lincoln Tunnel entrance. Once you're through the tunnel you get on the NJ Turnpike north and then I80 West, which is the road out from the GW Bridge. I think that's better than trying to find the entrance to the Henry Hudson parkway (79th St ??). I'm sure others who know the area better will post suggestions.

I drive to wood bury commons a couple of times a year- from Brooklyn. the best way when its not the rush hour is up the west side highway(for you) to the GW bridge you want the upper level(the one with the trucks not the car only way) because the only direct connections to the Palisades interstate parkway is from the right lanes in the upper level ...on the Palisades(a nice no truck route) you will pass back into NY state and join the NY Thruway at exit 9---

from the Avis place at 42 and 11th avenue go west to 12th avenue and mke a right this becomes the west side highway you can't miss it....and you can't miss the GW bridge exit either(again you want the UPPER level)...don't worry if you miss it the way to the Palisades in marked but takes much more time....

When you are getting into the toll lanes make sure you get into the CASH lane. You don't want to get into the Easy Pass lane. (It is kind of crazy at this point because people are trying to get into the correct lane if they are unfamiliar or just plain impatient) Then after you pay the toll you might have to cross over a few lanes to get into the correct lane.

When you are getting into the toll lanes make sure you get into the CASH lane. You don't want to get into the Easy Pass lane. (It is kind of crazy at this point because people are trying to get into the correct lane if they are unfamiliar or just plain impatient) Then after you pay the toll you might have to cross over a few lanes to get into the correct lane.

I so agree with this. I keep getting stuck in the wrong lane. I have been borrowing cars so I don't want to use their easy pass. It's quite a pain to cross the lanes, especially when you get a bunch of you know what's that won't let you in. Lower level GW the cash lanes are to the right. I can't remember about the upper level.

You can also check with your rental agency some will provide an EZ Pass and then charge you for the tolls via your credit card. I'm sure there is a fee involved as well. We have a friend that comes in from Michigan several times a year and she always uses this option.

Archived