Tahiti - society islands

aj411

We just signed on for the Society Island cruise this fall. We are looking forward to snorkeling - as much off the ship or whereever launches take us as possible - and generally relaxing. Maybe some diving but we are easy keepers:)

So my question (my first): if we do want to get some history/ culture, which islands are the best to explore for that and which excursions are worth it?

We are not big excursion people and tend to only do the ones that give us something we wouldn't get anywhere else and aren't the fanciest ones. I thought the kayaking one might be a good way to see the scenery in-island but really would like to hear from those who have tried some others.

We usually do our warm vacations in the carribbean (have been to most islands and like the smaller, quiet ones especially) but have also beent o the Hawaii - the big island.

For cruises, we have done one big ship but mostly Windjammers if that helps define our style.

Thanks,

AJ

You're in for a great experience. We've cruised the area twice, once on the Tahitian Princess and last August on the Star Flyer.

We are divers also, and the Flyer will offer you 7 opportunities for diving on the 7 day cruise....3 in Bora Bora, and 2 dives each on Raiatea & Moorea. As far as snorkeling, they offer something on each island. The beach & bar-b-que day on the motu off Tahaa offers good snorkeling on the side of the motu that faces Tahaa..that is the only time we snorkeled.

As far as excursions, we only did the kayak trip on Raiatea, and enjoyed it very much. We heard the Jungle trek on Raiatea was also very good, but tests your physical ability. Some we met did that in the morning & were planning on doing the kayak tour in the afternoon and decided to pass.

The Robinoson Crusoe trip on Bora Bora also was recommended. We rented a car on Huahine and one of the days on Moorea and did our own explorations, but doing one of the 4X4 tours would probably get you more interior views of the islands. If you want t try something different on Huahine, you can rent an outboard motor boat and cruise the lagoon on your own, finding remote beaches for a picnic & you own snorkeling spots. Huahine Lagoon rents them and they are located right where the tenders drop you off.

Photos & video are in the link below...you will need quicktime for the videos.

http://gallery.mac.com/csealove

Mike

thanks for the info. I had already found your photos and sent the link to my hubby. He was impressed as was I:-) (by the way, what is your camera setup?).

Were there any of the islands that had particular history or culture sites that weren't to be missed? Not sure we will get back to this area so wouldn't want to miss great places that really show what the islands are all about. Still, just sitting in a jeep or 4x4 and driving around for scenery doesn't sound that exciting. Now the kayak... maybe.

Thanks on the diving numbers. Not sure how much we will dive (we are starting like snorkeling more jsut for the ease, but at least we know this way we will have plenty of opportunities. Any dives particularly stand out?

-AJ

Taking a cruise is not the best way to get exposed to the culture of the islands. There is just not sufficient time on any particular island to get more than a superficial overview. Some tours will take you to interesting archaeological and historical sites. Some tour companies have really knowledgeable guides (some don't). Even if you don't take a paid tour, Star Flyer will have some pretty good dance shows for you. I don't believe Star Flyer will have any expert on board to provide lectures, etc. -- at least they didn't on our 11 day cruise with them in Feb. this year.

For a more authentic tour, be sure to visit Tiki Village on Moorea. You can do this on your own as there are guides on site. You'll get to see native crafts being done in the old way as well as seeing native homes -- pretty interesting.

Hi AJ!

The dive in Bora Bora with the Lemon Sharks was exciting, but I think the best overall dive was at Tiki in Moorea. The most memorable was the one we missed.....night dive in Bora Bora. Got into Bora Bora too late for them to do it. Was looking forward to that with some angst as they changed the schedule somewhat due to the winds & that would have been our first dive of the trip...hadn't done anight dive in a few years:eek:

As far as cameras, the stills were with a Canon SD870 and we used the Canon housing for the underwater shots. The video was with a Canon HV20 and an Ikelite housing. It's too bad the resolution on the web doesn't bring out the true effect of HD video......hooked up to the plasma, the video really jumps out.

We thought about doing the tip one more time before the Flyer pulls out, but decided to meet the Royal Clipper in Barbados and sail that area while the rates are so good.

Have a great trip!

Mike

To Roger - that was exactly the l kind of info I was looking for. I know a cruise just doesn't hti much ( why we don't do a lot of big cruises especially) but even knowing one or two things that are good, is a big help.

Budamon - I think my husband would love the night dive (I don't like them - a bit close and dark for me). I'll make sure he gets the run down. We do understand the schedule chagnes though - that's part of the "real" world of sailing :-)

-AJ

The ATV excursion on Moorea is the best excursion I have ever been on. If you take the 3.5 hour one, you won't be disappointed. You will go to the top of magic mountain where the view is unreal but the ride alone is awesome. This one takes you thru a working farm which is inside the volcano and is pretty interesting. You also go to the top of belvedere which is a fun ride too. If you are afraid of atv's, the jeep safari on moorea goes to the top of magic mountain too

I did the Robinson Crusoe in Bora Bora and was very disappointed in it. Bora Bora is a beautiful place but they took us to the boat owners motu which was shabby to the point of being trashy and the snorkeling was terrible. They put you in a drift that moves so fast you can't see anything and then it is over real quick. You would be better off snorkeling with the boat. My daughter did both and she agrees we wasted huge money on Robinson excursion. Quite a few of my fellow passengers felt the same way. Don't waste any money on excursions the day that they take you to their private motu. It is beautiful and we snorkeled there so much we were water logged. The water is clear and there is a lot of variety. We did the jeep safari on reiatta (sp?) and it wasn't worth it either. We were crammed into a covered truck and could see much besides each other. We stopped to buy vanilla and learn more than we wanted to know about it. And there was a stop at a religious site but it seemed like a rock patio--not much else. My daughter did the waterfall hike and loved it but you need to be in could shape and able to use ropes to go down the side of the mountain.

hope that helps

• 1 month later...

Hi! Thanx also from my side for the information. How about some more tips about snorkeling and boatrides. I'm interessted in knowing about currents (even if there is a guide with us) and what you might see from the boat. I'd like some critical feedback that tells me exactly what the travelers feel.

We're going on the 10 day Farewell Tour at the end of November.

Thanks again!

Archived