Who has taken these excursions?

Jaymee287

We for sure want to do the Mayan Site we like history, and paired with the River Wallace we can see wildlife and such......so we feel this is a winner! If you have taken this please let us know! We are not sure about the snorkel thing since the first is so long. But we want to take full advantage and do what we can but being on the beach will be nice. Right now we are just trying to "get our act together", compose ourselves and setthe excitement aside for now. Feel free to include your personal favorite excursion.....and info on others. If you know of a website or private vendor please include it!

***ALTUN HA MAYAN SITE & RIVER WALLACE***

A double treat awaits you in the Belize district.

Hold on to your hat as you enjoy an exhilarating boat ride along the city’s scenic coast before entering the Belize River, called Rio Wallace by the Spaniards during the Conquistador rule of the New World.

Keep your eyes open and your camera ready as crocodiles, iguanas, howler monkeys, and even feeding manatees or dolphins are just some of the wildlife that may make an appearance during your journey.

After approximately 1½ hours on the river, you will have a 30 to 45-minute stop at a riverside dock where you can use the restroom, browse the gift shop or purchase a local lunch before boarding a coach for the second part of your adventure.

Altun Ha is the Mayan ceremonial center where the famous jade head of the Sun God Kinich Ahau was found during an expedition led by Professor David Pendergast of the Royal Ontario Museum.

The site, which is set in pristine rainforest, has three plazas and thirteen structures within its epicenter and was a vital trade center during the Classic Period (250-900 AD). Stone steps allow you to climb the main temples (weather permitting).

After exploring the Mayan site, you can sit back and relax on your 45-minute ride back to the pier.

NOTE: Minimum age is 4 years. Lunch is available for purchase at the Black Orchid Resort riverside rest stop. Since the boats are partially uncovered, a hat, sunscreen, and insect repellant are recommended. This excursion involves walking on inclines and over uneven terrain; it is not wheelchair accessible. Climbing the ruins is not allowed during or after rain due to safety reasons. Tour may operate in reverse.

Duration: 5.5 Hours

Pricing From:

Adult: $86

***GOFF'S CAYE SNORKELING***

Don’t pass up this opportunity to snorkel this magnificent coral island sitting right on top of the Great Barrier Reef of Belize.

On this snorkel adventure you will:

Board your snorkel boat directly from the ship, and an approximate 25-minute ride will take you to this remote caye, 12 miles east of Belize and about the size of a football field.

Collect your snorkel gear and you will have the option to snorkel from the beautiful beach or directly off of your snorkel boat.

Enjoy the abundant reef life, great coral formations and crystal clear waters. Find your island paradise at Goff’s Caye!

NOTE: Underwater cameras, sunscreen and a hat are recommended. Restrooms are available. Please note that in the event of inclement weather, an alternate snorkeling site will be used.

This excursion is great for beginners and guests with past experience

Duration: 3.5 Hours

Pricing From:

Adult: $60

Our first time in Belize we did cave tubing and loved it. Water was chilly but you get used to it. Second time in Belize we did Carnival's Altun Ha and River Wallace - this is a great tour. Enjoyed the boat ride and the ruins. However, I would not book this along with snorkeling. It is hot and humid in Belize and we were glad to get back to the port (did some power shopping) and the ship! Also keep in mind that you have to tender back to the ship - this takes about 25 minutes after standing in the tender line.

I was on the Carnival Legend a few weeks ago & I went on the Altun Ha & River Wallace Tour. I really enjoyed this tour. If you are looking for a tour that is very informational, see some wildlife, and visit the ruins then this is a great tour. It is very hot, but worth it for the ruins. We seen a few birds, two crocs, some iguanas, and a few monkeys. I would have liked to have seen more animals, but our guide really tried to find more. You can't predict where they are going to be every day, so some tours im sure have better luck.

If I ever go back again I will be doing a snorkeling tour. I love to snorkle & I have heard that Belize has some of the best. BUT I do not regret taking the Altun Ha & River Wallace Tour.

We took the River Wallace/Altun Ha excursion when we were on the Legend in October a couple years ago. We went to the ruins first, stopped for lunch @ a small riverside resort, and then took a boat down the river. The ruins were fairly small, but interesting...my 6yo daughter loved climbing to the top of the temple. Lunch @ the resort was ok...we just ordered some jerk chicken, black beans & rice, and fried plantains. The trip down the river was great...we saw crocodiles, bats, howler monkeys, iguanas, etc. Our guide did his best to find lots of wildlife.

Our main gripe was the weather...very, very hot and humid...but I guess that is typical Belize weather. Next time I would be better prepared with hats, etc. Overall, we are glad we took the excursion...and my 6yo said it was her favorite day of the cruise.

• 1 month later...

We just got back from the River Wallace/ Altun Ha tour. I think it was worth its money. Boat ride was in a nice new boat, lasted about 1hour and 15 minutes. We did see croc, monkeys ( though not well) and lots of iguanas. The ride itself was just nice and enjoyable. The only problem we had was we sat in the last rear seat and couldnt hear over the engine. Joyce was our guide for this part and we just couldnt hear her. Also she seem to get on my nerves after awhile on the bus part, she talked alot or should I say rambled. Kinda felt like I was back in school and being questioned and lectured. Sometimes I just like to look out the window and see the country. Anyways, we stopped at the Black Orchid resort for about an hour. Gave us bathroom time and down time. They have a nice open space to eat either a burger or the traditional baked chicken, rice and slaw. It was good ,$8.00 a plate.

Bus ride is alittle rough, but really not too bad, nothing that is gonna hurt your back or anything. Ruins are small and not as impressive as some other ruins. But still worth a look. Our guide was named Amaya or something like that, she was good. She was knowledgable, spoke loud and clear and didnt drag on. My 2 peeves here were that she talked in the first court yard for awhile, and we never got close to the temples. I wanted to walk around and see the things up close. They wanted us to stay together, and thats fine but alteast slowly walk us around the site. Remind you, this is not a large place and there were not many other people there. We went to the 2nd courtyard and this is where you can climb the rear of the temple. Hubby did that and said it was pretty neat, I stayed at the bottom and really checked out the temple. Its unfortunate that this site hasn't had much money put into to it and I feel like no one really cares. It is what it is, and I get the feeling, that it just there for money making and nothing else will get done or done right. Do go to the bathroom before you leave the ruins.

But the biggest disappiontment with this part of the tour was that we spent very little time at the ruins in my opinion.

Archived