Rhapsody inside cabins deck 4 - anyone been in these?

Ausgirl

I thought as there were so many people on this forum who have been on Rhapsody someone may have been in cabins 4541, 4543, 4545, 4547 and 4549 and be able to tell me if they are ok? (We are 2 families of 5 going, 2 people in each cabin).

Is the position ok? They are near the stairs, (any noise?) and slightly forward of midship (is this still considered midship if it's not bang in the middle of the ship?)

While I would have loved oceanview, even if only for the 2 adults cabins the extra $1250 per cabin adds up to a heap of excursion money. I know it's personal opinion but tell me I've done the right thing by booking an inside....or is it so worth spending the extra for oceanview on our first cruise? We are doing the New Zealand cruise from Sydney on 7 Jan 2010 - so excited! :)

I thought as there were so many people on this forum who have been on Rhapsody someone may have been in cabins 4541, 4543, 4545, 4547 and 4549 and be able to tell me if they are ok? (We are 2 families of 5 going, 2 people in each cabin).

Is the position ok? They are near the stairs, (any noise?) and slightly forward of midship (is this still considered midship if it's not bang in the middle of the ship?)

While I would have loved oceanview, even if only for the 2 adults cabins the extra $1250 per cabin adds up to a heap of excursion money. I know it's personal opinion but tell me I've done the right thing by booking an inside....or is it so worth spending the extra for oceanview on our first cruise? We are doing the New Zealand cruise from Sydney on 7 Jan 2010 - so excited! :)

Wow you're on the cruise after us!!

This too is our first Rhapsody cruise (but I have cruised with P&O a few times). We too noticed a big price difference with inside and ocean view, so decided as well to go with the inside room and use the extra money on onboard purchases and tours.

Sorry I can't help you with any answers for the rooms you mentioned from experience but I have had a look at the rooms on the deck plans and they look like fantastic rooms. They are midship, so you wont feel the ship movement as much than if you were at the ends. Midship isn't necessarily the exact middle of the ship. Generally, if you divide the floor plan in thirds, you have the front of the ship, the centre (which is classified as midship) and the back.

Also, they don't seem too close to the stairs and elevators so I don't assume you will hear any mechanical noise, but depending on how thick the walls are, you may hear voices of passengers coming back to their room late at night, but that is the same with any cabin on the ship.

It really looks like you and your group have chosen a great set of rooms.

Hope you enjoy your first cruise and Rhapsody...we can't wait either!

Feel free to post or email if you have any queries. Hope this helps! :)

luckie_puris@yahoo.com.au

hi, we sailed last October and were in 4515, not far from your cabins. the only noise that disturbed us was when the anchor went up and down but that was an exciting noise so we didn't let it bother us!

We are sailing again in April 2010 and this time have booked another inside cabin because the only time we spent in our cabin was sleeping at night, and quick visits during the day to change clothes.

While we would have liked a cabin with a window, the difference in price certainly adds up and we found that an inside cabin was perfectly adequate.

I suggest you take a small clock with a luminous dial, and perhaps a torch for any mid night toilet visits. It is easier to take a battery operated clock and some extra batteries, as there are not many powerpoints in the cabins.

Hope this helps.. enjoy your cruise!

I suggest you take a small clock with a luminous dial, and perhaps a torch for any mid night toilet visits. It is easier to take a battery operated clock and some extra batteries, as there are not many powerpoints in the cabins.

If you did not want to take a clock with batterys you could take your alarm aclock and also take a power board but unplug things that aint in use like phone chargers etc.

If you did not want to take a clock with batterys you could take your alarm aclock and also take a power board but unplug things that aint in use like phone chargers etc.

On the mention of an alarm clock, I have heard that some people who have used alarm clocks that plug into the powerpoint, that sometimes the clock either goes slow or fast.

Not sure if it is something to do with the voltage or something else.

Also a reminder to take a power adapter convertor as I think the power points onboard Rhapsody are US.

Or another idea that I have heard is to leave the cruise cam channel on and as the sun comes up your room get brighter sorta so you wake up or atleaast have some idea of daylight.

Thats if ros has cruise cam I have not been on it so wouldent know. :(

or another idea that i have heard is to leave the cruise cam channel on and as the sun comes up your room get brighter sorta so you wake up or atleaast have some idea of daylight.

Thats if ros has cruise cam i have not been on it so wouldent know. :(

Fantastic Idea Drelix!!! :)

Thanks everyone - Drelix I love the idea of leaving the webcam on (if there is one) as I guess it would be dark at night and lighten up the room gradually in the morning. Next best thing to a window. One day when hubby and I cruise without the kids, whenever that may be, we will be able to splurge on a balcony, but for the moment with 5 fares to pay its inside or nothing.

I have asked a question somewhere else on the forums re plugs on the ship and apparently there are US and European plugs with 110 and 220 V. So for Aussies I think we use the 220 point and take a European adaptor plug and a power strip to plug into it.

Luckie, I see you often on the boards, you keep me entertained and are a mine of information! Thanks for your comments. Sounds like we are both in for a treat sailing on Rhapsody - I've never done P&O (this will be our first cruise) but I have been told that RCI is a better class of ship.

Thanks everyone - Drelix I love the idea of leaving the webcam on (if there is one) as I guess it would be dark at night and lighten up the room gradually in the morning. Next best thing to a window. One day when hubby and I cruise without the kids, whenever that may be, we will be able to splurge on a balcony, but for the moment with 5 fares to pay its inside or nothing.

I have asked a question somewhere else on the forums re plugs on the ship and apparently there are US and European plugs with 110 and 220 V. So for Aussies I think we use the 220 point and take a European adaptor plug and a power strip to plug into it.

Luckie, I see you often on the boards, you keep me entertained and are a mine of information! Thanks for your comments. Sounds like we are both in for a treat sailing on Rhapsody - I've never done P&O (this will be our first cruise) but I have been told that RCI is a better class of ship.

Thanks Ausgirl! I'm sure you can tell I love cruising! Atleast no one on these forums tells me to stop talking about cruising...I talk everyone's ears off!

P&O is a very nice cruise line, and like you, we are a family so on a family budget. A balcony is something that is out of price range too especially with 5 fares as well. You can often get good cruise deals with P&O (etc, 8 nights $800).

We have always cruised P&O but now that Rhapsody has affordable cruising, once you start to compare prices, there really isn't a big price difference and Rhapsody seems to offer a much higher standard of cruising.

I'm sure you will love cruising...it really is a carefree holiday where you don't have to do anything. Your beds are made, you just turn up at the buffet or restaurant, and are fed. The food is amazing...one of the highlights of cruising!

What ports are you visiting? I would be happy to give you a list of tours etc we are looking at doing. The ship does offer tours but they can add up when travelling with a family. As long as you leave enough time to get back to the ship, you can do your own tours for much less. (If you like, email me and I can give you a list).

P.S. We also are from Melbourne :)

Because you're on a dining room floor, there will be a slightly greater amount of traffic past those rooms than on other floors there, but you're not likely to notice much noise.

Just had a check and that cruise is quite well booked in Oceanview+ categories and still 6 months out. I was checking for chances of an upgrade/price drop but they're not that great with that availability.

Regarding plugs, your suggestion will work although many travel appliances are dual voltage.

P.S. Yes, definitely a bridge cam on Rhapsody!

Thanks Big M. How do you tell how booked up a cruise is? I would imagine this one would be pretty much full by the time January comes around. Chances of a price drop do seem slim but you never know I guess.

Hope being on the dining room floor won't be a problem, Being in an inside cabin, we may need a bit of a wake up in the mornings anyway, and by the time we get to bed no-one will still be walking back from the dining room. I'm prepared to live with it, as at this stage no point trying to change cabins as we need 5 together and wanted midship and that would be almost impossible to find again.

Luckie - sounds like heaven, not having to worry about making meals, cleaning up etc is my idea of a holiday. We usually have a beach holiday most years, and still wind up tidying up the room, making some of the meals etc, so this year I am officially on strike! My kids are older so can be off doing their thing and we will do ours - can't wait!

We will definitley do our own thing in port, no need to do the ship's tours. I'll email you sometime soon with the ports we are visiting and would love to get some ideas from you! One definite is the chocolate factory in Christchurch.....

Cheers

Caron

Thanks Big M. How do you tell how booked up a cruise is? I would imagine this one would be pretty much full by the time January comes around. Chances of a price drop do seem slim but you never know I guess.

Hope being on the dining room floor won't be a problem, Being in an inside cabin, we may need a bit of a wake up in the mornings anyway, and by the time we get to bed no-one will still be walking back from the dining room. I'm prepared to live with it, as at this stage no point trying to change cabins as we need 5 together and wanted midship and that would be almost impossible to find again.

Luckie - sounds like heaven, not having to worry about making meals, cleaning up etc is my idea of a holiday. We usually have a beach holiday most years, and still wind up tidying up the room, making some of the meals etc, so this year I am officially on strike! My kids are older so can be off doing their thing and we will do ours - can't wait!

We will definitley do our own thing in port, no need to do the ship's tours. I'll email you sometime soon with the ports we are visiting and would love to get some ideas from you! One definite is the chocolate factory in Christchurch.....

Cheers

Caron

The only problem with being on the same floor as the dining room...is that you're closer to the food!! :)

Cruising really is a holiday for mums, so I'm sure you will have a relaxing time without having to worry about anything :)

Heh, shouldn't be any problem with being on a dining room floor. Just means less time to elegantly move throughout the ship in your cocktail dress ;-)

As for availability, it's available through some of the travel agent tools, but they don't permit links to travel agents through this site. You definitely did well getting a group of rooms together like that.

Closer to the food - hmmm, guess I need to lose a few kilos before I cruise. And by the time the second week rolls around(!) I won't be fitting into that cocktail dress... Maybe I should be focusing on the wraparound jogging track a bit more....

Cheers

Caron

Hi Ausgirl - we are big fans of inside cabins - apart from the fact that they are considerably cheaper it also means that our son sleeps in. We never bother about an alarm clock and usually just keep our mobile beside the bed to have a sneaky look at if necessary. We figure we're on holidays and we'll just go with the flow .... having said that, when you're in port and have a tour it's a completely different matter. We have tried the cruise cam idea but it generates a lot of light in the room. Speaking of light, we find if you leave the bathroom door open just a crack it's helpful, saves from shin slamming into coffee tables at 4.00am.

Enjoy your cruise, we've sailed on the Rhapsody and are going again on January 7 - cruising is the only way to go.

have fun.

Enjoy your cruise, we've sailed on the Rhapsody and are going again on January 7 - cruising is the only way to go.

have fun.

Looks like both Jacksmum1 and Caron are on the same cruise!! :)

Caron, I would recommend with a group of ten, that if you are wanting to do a particular tour and organise it yourself instead of doing the ship's tours, you do so as soon as you can.

Many will do the ships tours but a lot will be doing the same thing as you, and looking to organise their own tours.

There may even be other cruise ships at the ports on the days that you are there, and other tourists on land based holidays, so places are limited.

So if you want to see / do something in particular, get in contact with the tour operator direct and you can book with them.

I would advise to do this before the ship's tours brochure is released, as by then, many will be deciding what they want to do and if to book with the ship or book direct.

Hope this helps! :)

Archived