Passport confusion

We are going to be on the Fascination in Oct. This will be the first cruise for my sister and her boys. They don't have passports and not sure if they need them. The boys are 9 and 15 and this will probably be their only cruise so my sister doesn't really want to spend the money on passports. Do they need them or can they just use birth certificates? If they can use birth certificates, does the 15 yr old need a photo ID? Also, my neice is going with her 1 yr old., does he need a passport or just birth certificate?

We are going to be on the Fascination in Oct. This will be the first cruise for my sister and her boys. They don't have passports and not sure if they need them. The boys are 9 and 15 and this will probably be their only cruise so my sister doesn't really want to spend the money on passports. Do they need them or can they just use birth certificates? If they can use birth certificates, does the 15 yr old need a photo ID? Also, my neice is going with her 1 yr old., does he need a passport or just birth certificate?

A birth certificate will suffice. Not sure about the 15 year and ID.

Best to read up directly on Carnival's website. But, as long as the cruise is "closed loop" (starts and finishes at the same US port), you only need a bc and a photo ID. I do not believe they expect children to have photo ID's however.

The issue without a passport (for me) is simply if you get in trouble (sickness, missed boat, excursion late, ...) and you need to fly back to the US, you won't be able to.

My passport expired a week ago and we just booked a last minute cruise in two weeks. I'll be down at the Houston passport office in a few days to get a new one. It's going to cost me, but I want the insurance of being able to get home if I need to.

Pun intended!

Passport not required HOWEVER realize that if an emergency occurs and you need to fly home early a passport is required or you'll need to run around getting permission to fly. It's worth it to me, if I need to leave a cruise for any reason chances are something really bad is happening and last thing I would want to do is add the stress.

No passport = barely adequate and asking for trouble

Passport = fewer worries (and frankly if you ever lose your wallet back home, a passport is a god-send, trust me! It's simply the best ID you can ever have!)

Bahama Daydreamer - Let me ask you this: Did (or will) you and your family purchase trip insurance for this cruise?

Others above have well identified the good reasons to opt for the passport along with the fact that they are not required on this cruise. (RT out of JAX). Only you can decide what risks your family will or will not take on, but you need to make an informed decision based on all the facts.

If you choose to just use the BC and ID, only persons 16 and over need the ID. Children under 16 only need the certified BC.

They are alot quicker and cheaper to get. I believe they are $45 and take about 3 weeks. They are good in bahamas cariibean and mexico , only but land or sea, not good for a plane flying into US though ( so if you get injured or miss the boat could be a hassle( which is no different than just a BC or Photo ID

Howard, it goes to their particular thinking in cases of emergency, as most of the during-the-cruise benefits of trip insurance policies cannot be used if you don't have a passport (cannot use trip interruption, travel delay or medical evacuation coverage, cannot fly to next port, cannot return home by air). Some people buy insurance, some people don't. Makes little sense to buy it if you cannot use it. Makes less sense to buy one and not the other.

Archived