Goal: To see lava as close as possible!

candy46

I just read the excursion list for Hilo and found 3 excursions where it sounds like you might see lava.....wording seems kind of evasive. Has anyone done any of them?? Opinion?

Has anyone visited the Volcano National park on their own (Not a NCL sponsored one)?

Can you do the trip ok on your own and do you see the same things whether you are on an excursion or on your own?

Is there enough time to go on your own if you are there around 8 hrs if you try and do it on your own?

Is it expensive to get your own transportation?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Please visit the Hawaii forum here for tons of terrific detailed information on numerous threads. As a quick note: Madame Pele can and does change and stop the lava flows at any time, so there is no guarantee of being close to lava--period. Yes, there is enough time to visit VNP on your own; no problem. But again, hiking to the current flows is out of the question in that time frame (and is often unsafe or not even allowed).

beachchick

I have been to Volcanoes National Park twice. The first time we rented a car (online in advance) and did our own thing. We saw the actual lava flow - awesome. Depending upon the flow, you might have quite a walk over uneven ground (old lava that has hardened). It took us over 1/2 hour to get to the flow (after parking the car) and it was extremely hot - take lots of water, but worth every step.

The second time we went, we went on a tour (Carnival ship) and we never got near the lava flow - we stopped at a few attractions in the park and I was extremely disappointed.

My recommendation is "do your own thing". And 8 hours is plenty of time to get there and back..... Enjoy.....

The only way to guarantee (best shot anyway...) you will see lava flow up close is to take a helicopter flight over the active flow. As of a few weeks ago the Chain of Crater's Road is closed to traffic Before you shell out the big bucks for this trip you can double check on this web site and read the National Park Service's site on Volcano National Park and current chances of seeing the lava flow. Here is a quick summary and the link to the site:

1. Chain of Craters Road and Hilina Pali Road are closed.

2. The park's eastern boundary in the Puna district near Kalapana is closed.

3. All east rift and coastal trails are closed.

4. Pu`u `O`o is closed - the Department of Land and Natural Resources has closed the Captain's Drive Trail.

http://www.nps.gov/havo/planyourvisit/lava.htm

My vote goes for renting a car and doing your own thing. The 8 hours in port is plenty of time, and the arrangements are easy, be sure to book online prior to going. The park is amazing, but your views of lava will depend upon the day, and that goes for bus tour or car viewing. Also, be sure to stay up that night and see the volcano flows in the distance as you sail by. Go to the Hawaii board and you will get plenty of advise for rental comapanys, pick up arrangements, etc.

One warning; if you decide to try and walk to see the lava flows, make sure you bring sturdy shoes. The walk is over extremely hard (and sharp in some points) lava which has hardened; the surface is also extremely hot due to the sun beating down (it's black in color) and the fact that lava is flowing below it. This is not the time for flip flops or (worse) heels. I saw several people being injured (cuts and scrapes mostly, but I'm sure there have been many broken bones as well) because of falls.

Also, the best viewing is after sunset (although I don't know if the ship schedule makes this impossible). If you do go then, bring a flashlight as the return in the dark can be even more difficult and dangerous.

IMHO, hiking to flows (if open) is definitely worth doing, but make sure you are prepared.

Our son and some other family members just returned from the Pride of America in June. They rented a car for the day but could get NOWHERE NEAR the area where the lava was flowing. They tried but were unsuccessful as roads were closed and blocked off.

There is so much to see and do. The poster that mentioned the helicopter is probably right. We attempted to hike to the flow a couple of years ago and after an hour or more we still weren't close. The night time viewing of the flow is the most spectacular. Make sure you have binoculars.

Make sure you do up-to-the-day research and change your plans accordingly, because the volcano is moody. Also, think twice if anyone in your party has asthma or other breathing problems.

DW and I owned a coffee farm in Kona for five years, planning to retire from high tech and move thereto. Discovered over the years of owning it that I was far more susceptible to "vog" (Pele's organicly grown LA smog) than I ever expected to be. Prices were high, so we sold out for almost double what we paid for it. Now the vog is worse, real estate prices are down in general, petroleum prices are a lot higher, and the honeybee mite has been found on Oahu. And they had a damaging earthquake a few months after we sold out. Our dream had the seeds of nightmare in it, and I'm glad we woke up when we did.

I think I read in one of the papers recently that the lava has stopped flowing - in areas where it can be seen at least. If it is flowing I think your best bet would be to see it from the ship as you pass the Big Island.

Thanks to all of you who responded! It is much appreciated.

If I understand correctly:

We may or may not see lava...and it doesn't matter if we go on our own or on a NCL scheduled excursion...it is basically the mood of the volcano at that time.

If we go on our own, we can schedule transportation our self and 8 hrs is long enough to make the round trip.

Helicopter trip is best sure way to see it. ( Probably will not be doing this)

Watch from the ship balcony as we cruise by it at night for a nice view in distance.

Check with the National Park site before going to see what's going on with the volcano.

If hiking, come prepared, use common sense, and wear safe shoes!

If you think of anything else that would be helpful to us, please let me know.

Thanks again :-)

If you are going to hike the lava flow, long pants are recommended. We wore jeans and it was hot. We attempted our hike pre dawn (this was a land vacation) and saw a beautiful sunrise and lava flowing into the ocean in the distance. It is a verrrry rugged terrain. I would rent a car for sure so that you can set your own pace while visiting Volcano National Park. On the bus, you will probably spend much time waiting for others to get on and off. On a side note, the ride along the coast in the Hilo area is very cool. We went to Akaka Falls near Hilo. Very nice. Good luck and enjoy. http://www.hawaiiweb.com/Hawaii/html/sites/akaka_falls_state_park.html

Archived