Saletta cost on Wind

jerblu

I am booked on the Silver Wind April 7th of next year. Looking at the brochure and at the Silversea website, I am uncertain regarding the Saletta restaurant. Is it extra cost? And if so, how much?

Jerry

The Saletta on the Wind is now called Le Champagne, you have 2 options by booking. Menus are nice and in general my favorites are the North American and the Spanish menu. THere are 2 prices, one is US$30,= per person excusive the wines and you will have to buy from the selling list where prices vary between 45,= and 1500,= so a wide range. Then you have option 2 what is a degustation menu with a different wine each course. THis costs US$200,= per person, if only one of you drinks do one 200 and one 30 this is possible but I can reccomend you the degustation menu and then choose the North American dinner! Enjoy!

I've been to a couple of dinners like that on dry land. My experience is that I really like the first wine and probably the 2nd. By the time we get to the 3rd course and its accompanying wine, tho, I am also getting to a point of not being able to distinguish fine from rotgut. Generally, one or perhaps two glasses of wine is my limit at dinner. So I think I would not opt for the big option, which might bar me from going at all to the Saletta or Champagne room unless they also had a one glass option.

Thanks again.

We did this once (it was $150 at the time) and agree that after a couple of glasses of wine, it was difficult to tell wonderful from not so much wonderful. lolo And to make matters worse, they uncork a bottle with the intent of pouring the whole thing, so if there are very few people there, you might even get more than 1 glass per course, as we did. It was tough to walk a straight line after dinner.

Mark

Did try Le Champagne on just completed Alaska cruise on the Shadow. It is still $30/person there. We chose an $80 bottle of wine that the three of us barely managed to finish. Did not see per glass on menu, but I wasn't looking. Did not have to purchase any wine at all and some of the other tables did not. Excellent dinner and fun too, but count on a 2.5-3hr dinner.

Did try Le Champagne on just completed Alaska cruise on the Shadow. It is still $30/person there. We chose an $80 bottle of wine that the three of us barely managed to finish. Did not see per glass on menu, but I wasn't looking. Did not have to purchase any wine at all and some of the other tables did not. Excellent dinner and fun too, but count on a 2.5-3hr dinner.

Is it possible to just dine there for the extra ($30pp) and not drink any wine? I'm a cocktail and/or beer drinker - not a wine drinker.

Is the meal better than what is available in the other restaurants?

Cheers

ging466

Yes, it is possible to dine at Le Champagne for the $30/person fee without ordering wine. Of the five tables occupied, at least two did not order wine.

On the Shadow, Le Champagne has 5 menus rotating daily. We chose the French menu, 6 fixed courses. And in true French style, took almost all night. We wanted to try the American prime rib menu on another day, but decided that we had had too much prime rib already.

Dinner was excellent and service impeccable. The chef and maitre de were at the tables regularly and the whole room became very sociable.

Definitely worth the experience and the money. Just as I would not dine at a "fine" restaurant every night, I would consider Le Champagne a special event. (The Restaurant is a "fine" venue too, but more homey)

As to booking Le Champagne pre-cruise, I can only speak for Shadow in July. No reason to book pre-cruise. Get on-board and look at the rotating menu schedule and select the dinner(s) you want.

On my day at Le Champagne, there were 5 tables occupied and one not used. This might have been to cover any walk-up customers but I'm guessing.

Archived