Photo Safari Land and Sea Excursion

travelingmomof3

Has anyone done this excursion recently (or ever) and would you recommend it? There are so many things I want to do (and the family too) in Juneau so I need some advice. The other excursion that will have to go is Glacier View Sea Kayaking if I do the photo safari. Thanks for any help!

I did this excursion two weeks ago. Whale watching first then a short quick hike to see the glacier. I did enjoy the tour and I learned a few things.

The photographer was good and helpful to everyone.

I just thought the price was high for what we got. It was just my DH and myself.

Denise

Yukon, I suggested that the OP post this separate question as the information is buried in long reviews and is not searchable.

My intention wasn't to give her a hard time, just to simplify things - there are enough posts about it that do show up in Search to make a decision about it easy (as the reviews are all very positive).

PennyAgain - thank you for your support. I am brand new to cc (as a poster anyway) - but I am not upset by Yukon's post (I know he was just trying to teach me the correct order of things).

I did search but there are so many things to read through that are coming up just about photos and not the actual photo safari excursion though - so, like you said, the search feature isn't really helping me here. The reviews I have seen are all good though so I think I will just book it and hopefully my daughter will come along with me too. Thanks again for your help!

You are welcome! Let me give you an inexpensive photo tip for your Alaska journey.

Zip-Loc bags!

I always keep a couple handy in case I need to bag up my camera is a sudden wet situation.

I have been photographing Alaska since 5 minutes after flash powder was in use (well.....not quite that long ago). Good luck in your work!

There are some outstanding photos posted on this topic. We've got some real photo talent around here. Travel well!

I just noticed the Photo Safari search tag at the near bottom of this page. Click on it for an interesting write up on your tour.

• 4 months later...

Considering the price of this tour - Is it worth the additional price vs booking an independent whale watch tour with a company like Harv & Marv or Orca plus a side trip to Mendenhall? I am also interested in photography. My best souvenir of each of my trips is my photobook I make when I get home!:D I am hoping that this tour would be able to teach me some good photo tips and tricks for the extra $$$. Is that true?

We were originally just planning on going out to Mendanhall for glacier viewing and photos, but after researching these boards I am afraid I will some great opportunities doing just that.

Yes, IMO, it is worth the extra cost. I had previously taken trips on a larger boat and also with Harv & Marv. On our trip in August I plan to book this excursion again. It was the highlight of our last cruise. Page 15 below shows the boat that they use, and I found it much easier to move around to get better pictures than on the really small boats.

http://princess.stepintoalaska.com/tour_details.cfm?tourid=photosafari

• 4 weeks later...

I did this a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. Got my best whale shot, beautiful shots of Mendenhall glacier and enjoyed the photographer ( a young man who had just graduated in photography, wished I knew a bit more about my camera could have learned alot) even without that it was the perfect mix for me of boat/land with lots of photo ops and only 12 people on the tour. I would repeat this one again.

Thanks for all the information. I had not considered this option, and I think it might be just perfect for my husband even if I decide to do something else. I would hate to have overlooked it in my research!

Archived