Should we get a Balcony or Inside for first time cruising???

lilybug23

I have sailed w/3 diff. cruiselines, inside and OV and I am dying to try a BALCONY-hopefully next time, but I found the Carnival inside cabins to be quite comfortable! Very big (as cruise cabins go) bathroom, storage and living space. Also the total blackness and coolness of the inside cabins is nice, DH and I were able to come back from the ports and take a nap before dinner every day, just be sure to bring a digital alarm clock w/you (why haven't they started putting these in the cabins by now? They are like 4-5 bucks.) Anyway, the one OV room we had was hot all the time, felt like the sun was always blazing in and you can't open the window, we almost always had the curtain closed, so that was a waste of extra money for us. However, a balcony, you could open the door-have the fresh air and the sound of the waves, and there is an overhang above it, so, most of the time there would be no direct sunlight. I will continue to look for a good deal on a balcony room but until then we will be inside cruisers! Enjoy your vacations all!

Edeno in Sacramento

My husband and I are about to book our first Cruise. We are going on the Dream on 7/24/2009 Western Carribian. I am wondering if it is worth the money to get a balcony for our first time or should we book an inside room and hope to get upgraded??:confused:

The odds of you getting an upgrade are pretty slim.

If you can afford it I would go with a Balconey, but only because I think everyone should experience it. I've been in every category of cabin and I now book Inside guarantee's. Aside from time spent sleeping, I'm probably not in my cabin 2 hours a day.

My husband and I are about to book our first Cruise. We are going on the Dream on 7/24/2009 Western Carribian. I am wondering if it is worth the money to get a balcony for our first time or should we book an inside room and hope to get upgraded??:confused:

Not sure what you mean by "hope" to get upgraded. Upgrades for free are few and far between since Carnival started upselling cabins.

How about some of those port hole cabins that sell as insides?? Those are my new favorite cabin to book.

We really dont care about sitting out on a balcony, so it would be wasted on us. On your first cruise, why not go with a cheaper category, since there will be plenty of new experiences to spend money on. Later when you have been to every port and not wanting to do fancy excursions, then go for a balcony?

Our first cruise was a inside cabin...it was the first time on a ship and loved everything. Our second time was a OV and that was great as well.

Then we booked a balcony and never went back.

Some of our friends don't want to even see the water so they are booking inside for their first cruise. It all depends on you. If you can try each type of cabin then you will know what you like and works for you.

Enjoy everything. There is nothing like the first time,like another post said.

Balconybaby!

On the 3 cruises I have already been on I have booked inside and my next cruises are all inside cabins.

I have seen balconies and they are nice, but nothing special.

I use my cabin to sleep, shower and sleep some more. If I want views I go on upper outside decks.

I would rather spend money on drinks or excursions or staying one or two days either before the cruise or after.

I would humbly suggest you go inside the first time and take the time and money to really explore the ship and your ports of call. On your next cruise you decide if upgrading your cabin is worth the extra cost

We've booked a balcony for our first cruise. It was balcony or nothing for us. The thought of being in an inside cabin was one reason I have yet to take a cruise. I'm a bit claustrophic, but I tried the arguement on myself that you're only in there to shower and sleep. We have taken that approach for AI resorts, but then we really do spend all our waking time out of the room. However, on a ship we're not big on hanging out in the public spaces idea (like a deck full of people and screaming kids around a pool), so I forsee waking up to the morning sun, having the convenience of stepping outside to view the island port we're approaching, as well as being able to sit and relax on the balcony with a drink after coming in from port for the day, or having a night cap before bed out there all highlights to the cruise for us and part of the excitement.

Also, I think it will save us money, because then we can have those balcony drinks as wine we have brought along. If we had an inside cabin there is no way I would be having a drink in a closet staring at 4 windowless walls so we'd be sitting at the bar to have all our drinks.

Can you tell we're never going to cruise inside? lol.

We have never had anything but a balcony, so Im very hesitant to try any other type of cabin. We spend alot of time in the cabin and its a huge part of the cruise experience for us. We never close the balcony door, so we can hear the waves and feel that fresh ocean breeze. To me, feeling like your on the water is what sets it apart from a land vacation. My experience is, once you go balcony, you can never go back! On the other hand, Id rather be in an interior than not go at all. Have a great time whatever you decide!

Once you go balcony, you will never want anything less. Start with less and work your way up!!!!!! Or don't..... we didn't and now we are spoiled. :D

• 2 months later...

I talked with my PVP and Carnival now has re-classified the old OV cabins at the FRONT of the ship above the Bridge to Inside on the Lido deck of the Freedom 9202&9203. You get an obstructed by the railing view but you can walk outof your cabin about 10 feet to the door that leads to the private ( not many know about it)balcony above the bridge. OK you can't go out there in your skivvies but probably in your terrycloth Carnival robe you have to buy! Just a suggestion

Archived