Barrier Reef Snorkel vs. Cave-Tubing

beachbound27

Well, no disrespect to the cave-tubing enthusiasts, but it seems like glorified canoeing to me (which we have in abundance where I live). And the trek into the bug-infested jungle doesn't sound like a good time to me, personally.

I think the snorkeling is a must-do, for us. We booked through Coral Breeze. We're bringing atleast 3 kids (more may join us), ages 4, 6 and 10. Mark from Coral Breeze says that the snorkeling near Bannister Caye is in a more protected area and suitable for kids.

The snorkeling here is very good and, yes, this is the world's second largest reef but you must realize that this is one of very few places that you can cavetube. When we booked our second cruise I chose Belize just for the cavetubing. When our stop was canceled due to rough seas I booked the same cruise the following year solely for that tour. It was worth it. I saved the reef snorkel for a later cruise.;)

• 2 weeks later...

On a prior cruise to Belize we cave tubed and had a great time! We went through adventure cave tubing I think it was called. We actually followed the carnival bus there, walked about 1 mile further up the river and tubed back. We made it back to the dock just in time to catch the last tender..

It was really great! This time we are snorkeling....!!!

• 2 weeks later...

cave tubing is not at all like canoeing, which i do all the time in Florida. The river runs through the caves which are low and full of things to look at. I am going to the beach this time in Belize but only bc I have done the tubes and ziplines twice and seen the ruins. The cave tubing is not to be missed. Use the number one guy on trip advisor, he is great. I am excited to snorkel though at the caye. a new adventure.

• 1 month later...

I am faced with the same dilemma for our upcoming cruise: snorkeling in the world's 2nd largest reef or cave tubing.

I went black water rafting when I was in New Zealand and it was amazing! However, that tour involved abseiling into the cave, wetsuits because the water was so cold, some walking and climbing, and glow worms everywhere. I get the impression that the Belize cave tubing is not quite the same, but even if it's a fraction of the fun, then I'm interested. Is it pitch black inside the Belize caves, or is there always some light? Are there glow worms?

I love snorkeling too, and the 2nd largest reef in the world sounds appealing.

Any advice on which to pursue would be appreciated. I don't see myself returning to Belize anytime soon, as I usually prefer to sample different countries.

I have the same dilema! I would rather snorkel or do Lamanai, but the BF wants to do cave tubing and the zip-line. Here in Georgia we have quite a few rivers, though, and often go tubing on the Chattahooche. We went about 4 times this summer. I am worried that the cave tubing will be more sedate and slower, and I like adventure!

We did the snorkeling in September. I would highly recommend it! It was the best I've ever seen and can't wait to go back again and do it. You are so close to the coral and so many fish swimming in it. I just wish our tour had been longer!

We did the snorkeling in September. I would highly recommend it! It was the best I've ever seen and can't wait to go back again and do it. You are so close to the coral and so many fish swimming in it. I just wish our tour had been longer!

Snorkeling - just got back. Snorkeling.

I am sold on snorkeling! :) Did you guys take a ship tour or book on your own? We are on the Carnival Legend in 4 days and I am trying to make up my mind.

Thanks!

Google Coral Breezes and Belize. We did the Snorkeling and Caye Caulker, 3 guides to 9 snorkelers, Amazing coral + stingrays + gorgeous island. Nuff said.:D

We are thinking of doing the same tour, what else can you tell me about the trip. There are a few kids going on the trip so were the waters calm, did you see a lot of fish ........

We are thinking of doing the same tour, what else can you tell me about the trip. There are a few kids going on the trip so were the waters calm, did you see a lot of fish ........

We were with snorkelingsearchers. She is right, the reef is awesome and the island very laid back. Guides are great, reef is awesome, Caye Calker is great. But, if you book with Coral Breezes though be sure to check if they have the engines fixed/replaced. We lost both engines on our return trip to the pier and they had to call to have another boat come get us.

And, as another note, they do a guided tour. So, you need to be able to keep up with the lead guide or make sure you have a guide just for the kids.

007 - thanks for the feedback, we are cruising in January so I would hope that the engines are fixed (but I will ask)

How was Caye Caulker, we have a few people who may just enjoy the Island and not snorkel. Do you have to stay with the guide or do they let you go off on your own a bit?

Did you guys take advantage of the lunch option?

Sorry so many questions.........

007 - thanks for the feedback, we are cruising in January so I would hope that the engines are fixed (but I will ask)

How was Caye Caulker, we have a few people who may just enjoy the Island and not snorkel. Do you have to stay with the guide or do they let you go off on your own a bit?

Did you guys take advantage of the lunch option?

Sorry so many questions.........

On Caye Caulker, you do not stay with a guide (I think that is what you are asking). They drop off the people not snorkeling and they are on their own til the snorkelers get back. There is a place to rent bicycles or a golf cart (I think there are only 8 autos on the island).

The first time we went with Coral Breezes we took their lunch option. It was good, but this 2nd time we wanted to try a different place. There are a lot of places to eat on Caye Caulker. We ended up at Lloyd's Barrier Reef Sports Bar and Grill. Its right on the beach - great view and good, reasonably priced food. http://www.belizesportsbar.com/food.htm

We will definately snorkel Caye Caulker again. Next time, we might just catch the water taxi and hire someone on the island to take us out snorkeling. Have a great time - it is beautiful!

On Caye Caulker, you do not stay with a guide (I think that is what you are asking). They drop off the people not snorkeling and they are on their own til the snorkelers get back. There is a place to rent bicycles or a golf cart (I think there are only 8 autos on the island).

The first time we went with Coral Breezes we took their lunch option. It was good, but this 2nd time we wanted to try a different place. There are a lot of places to eat on Caye Caulker. We ended up at Lloyd's Barrier Reef Sports Bar and Grill. Its right on the beach - great view and good, reasonably priced food. http://www.belizesportsbar.com/food.htm

We will definately snorkel Caye Caulker again. Next time, we might just catch the water taxi and hire someone on the island to take us out snorkeling. Have a great time - it is beautiful!

Thank you so much - this helps a lot! I think we may try to sports bar :)

• 2 weeks later...
Is it a realistic possibility to find a guide once getting to the island? Do you have any idea how much this might cost?

Its always an option but why risk it - you can have a guide waiting for you. Depends on what you would like to do but either of these are about 50.00 per person for the day

Is it a realistic possibility to find a guide once getting to the island? Do you have any idea how much this might cost?

Here is an article I found: http://www.belizelogue.com/snorkeling-in-caye-caulker.html. As another option, if you e-mail Lloyd at the sports bar & grill and tell him your group would be having lunch at his place, maybe he could help line up a snorkel guide for you. I can't say for sure he would. It is just a suggestion, he seemed very easy-going when I emailed him. All he could say would be "don't know anyone".

Is the snorkeling something an older lady who is very clumsy be able to do? We wanted to go cave tubing when we go but we know she wont be able to do the hiking. So we are looking into snorkeling but we don't know how strenuous of an activity it is or how easy it is to do.

Is the snorkeling something an older lady who is very clumsy be able to do? We wanted to go cave tubing when we go but we know she wont be able to do the hiking. So we are looking into snorkeling but we don't know how strenuous of an activity it is or how easy it is to do.

In this case, your best bet it to book a snorkel trip through the cruise line (my opinion). Snorkeling is less work than swimming. Good operators provide a vest where the amount of air can be adjusted. What you really need is a nice boat/catamaran with "Stairs" to get in and out of the water. Getting back onto the boat is often the hardest part! Usually the cruise line tours have top equipment (but don't assume, ASK before booking!) If she hasn't snorkeled before make sure they know that too - the operators will often give first timer's extra attention.

I'm in Belize next week and am doing the cave tubing, but will snorkel in Key West and Costa Maya.

We tubed with dot com in Jan. '09. While it was a good excursion, I would NOT consider it awesome as some others have said. I am glad I did it once but that was enough. My 20-year old sons were NOT feeling well the morning of the excursion and stayed behind. I honestly think they may have been bored. The tubing was rather slow going at times cuz the water level was very low, which I KNOW was not dot com's fault. A few times we even had to get out of the tubes and walk thru parts of the caves.

As far as a vendor is concerned, I would give them an excellent rating and would recommend them for anyone considering this excursion. :) The hike thru the jungle was a little further than I thought it would be, though. We stopped periodically to take a break and our guides showed us interesting sights. The guys in our group ended up sampling LIVE termites :eek: from a huge hive we came across. (YUCK) The guides said they are full of protein and taste like mint. I told DH that I wasn't kissing him the rest of the cruise! Ha, ha.

Also, if anyone is concerned about creepy, crawly things in the jungle or caves, no need to worry. I AM the biggest 'fraidy cat :o around when it comes to spiders and such. I didn't see anything that scared me, however I didn't go off the jungle path either.

Is it pitch black inside the Belize caves, or is there always some light? Are there glow worms?

Technically it IS pitch dark inside the caves BUT you can always see the headband headlamps from other tubers...dotting the inside of the cave. We were linked together like a train and the first one in our group of 8 was given (by the guides) the largest flashlight I'd ever seen to turn on at certain interesting sights within the caves. Not sure what a glow worm is but didn't see any.

I have the same dilema! I am worried that the cave tubing will be more sedate and slower, and I like adventure!
It could be depending on the water level. We talked to a couple who traveled thru the jungle paths in hamster-type balls (called zorbing, I think?:confused:), then cave-tubed after that and they said it was awesome...in case that's a little more adventurous for you?

Hope this helps,

Linda

• 2 weeks later...

Archived