For those who have used Captain Marvin this year

Perfect Stranger

Do they or do they not let you feed the stingrays? I've seen conflicting reports. If not, I have these choices:

Captain Marvin - A/C bus - can't feed stingrays - $35

Moby Dick - Hot bus - can feed stingrays - $40

Stingray Sailing - A/C bus - can feed stingrays - $45

I don't know which one to choose. I'd like to have a cool bus AND feed the stingrays. Captain Marvin has the best price so I hope he has what I'm looking for.

Whether they do or not, under relatively recent changes to the law they are not supposed to permit tourist to feed the rays. Only the staff are supposed to feed the rays now.

I cannot say whether companies are enforcing this provision of the Wildlife Interaction Zones regulations. Recently a new Enforcement officer was hired by the Department of Environment specifically to monitor various aspects of compliance at the Sandbar.

Drew, are these the newest regulations?

http://www.doe.ky/laws/marine-parks-january-2008/

(ignore the date in the link, it actually goes to a 2009 page)

The only mention I can find is that you can't feed fish anywhere other than a WIZ and then it has to be foods and amounts approved by the DOE. However, I can't find the section where it tells you the approved foods and amounts. Do you have that link?

I'd really like to make sure that we're following the regulations when we go out.

Do they or do they not let you feed the stingrays? I've seen conflicting reports. If not, I have these choices:

Captain Marvin - A/C bus - can't feed stingrays - $35

Moby Dick - Hot bus - can feed stingrays - $40

Stingray Sailing - A/C bus - can feed stingrays - $45

I don't know which one to choose. I'd like to have a cool bus AND feed the stingrays. Captain Marvin has the best price so I hope he has what I'm looking for.

We used Captain Marvin and the guide did feed the sting rays. Not many people on our boat which was nice. I don't know that anyone else wanted to feed the stingrays.

As I recall our bus did have a/c because we were there in April and didn't complain of the heat.

I highly recommend using him.

Drew, are these the newest regulations?

http://www.doe.ky/laws/marine-parks-january-2008/

(ignore the date in the link, it actually goes to a 2009 page)

The only mention I can find is that you can't feed fish anywhere other than a WIZ and then it has to be foods and amounts approved by the DOE. However, I can't find the section where it tells you the approved foods and amounts. Do you have that link?

I'd really like to make sure that we're following the regulations when we go out.

WIZ regulations require that operators of commercial vessels only obtain a special license. Certain regulations mention the Marine Conservation Board and if I recall correctly the MCB has exempted private vessels from most of those regulations.

All boaters must comply with the general boat safety requirements, marine park restrictions, and environmental zones.

We used Native Way Water Sports in early August. Soloman was our guide. We did have an air conditioned bus. Our tour included stingrays, reef snorkeling and lunch at Rum Point for only $62.50 each. We all had an opportunity to feed the rays. It was great! I would hightly recommend this tour. We were on the Legend, it was our fifth cruise. It was also the first time that we booked something through a third party. No worries!

• 1 month later...

I was just on capt marvins last week. the bus we were on had AC...and really cold AC thank goodness since it was 96% humidity the day we were there. The guides fed the rays and I dont recall seeing any of the tourists feeding them. They did let us hold the rays and stuff though. It was an amazing experience not to be missed!

Archived