Just back-Holiday-4-day Mobile

jdblakeslee

We just returned from the four-night cruise aboard the Holiday, leaving from Mobile, only port was Cozumel.

We found the ship to be in good shape, clean, well-kept, and welcoming. Our cabin was spotless, cool, and fresh~! Our room steward kept our little ice cooler filled daily with ice and we tipped him an extra $20 at the end of the cruise.

We thought they could have done a better job with the food items, although the service was impecable. They had wonderful choices but just overcooked most of the off-the-menu items. Too bad!

There were 600 kids on the ship, they stayed occupied at Camp Carnival and around the kids pool area. Families were enjoying the time together and couldn't have chosen a better value for their vacation dollars.

The two shows we saw were fabulous, both singers and dancers knocked themselves out to entertain.

We took the shore excursion "Isla Pasion by Twister" and had a blast. Most on our fast boat were much younger than us but we hung in there with them, doing all the 360s, and getting soaking wet! Island was lovely although you could still see evidence of Hurricane Dean. It's been replanted, rebuilt (bathrooms, shops, restaurant, etc.). The water and beach are the best part -- you can't beat Mother Nature for providing a relaxing, fun experience. Food ok, guacamole, salsa, and chips were the best part. We didn't drink any of the specialty drinks, opting for cokes and water.

For the price, you can't beat this cruise!

Questions?

Jennifer

We boarded around 12:30 p.m. but there were many folks ahead of us! The buffet on Lido Deck was packed by the time we arrived for a light lunch. I think they must start boarding around 11:30 a.m., from the number of cars in the parking garage and the folks already enjoying the pool when we arrived!

For everyone who is cruising on the Holiday before she departs Mobile, enjoy! We had smooth sailing, no rain, just sunny skies and clear water.

Jennifer

Yes thanks for the info. My dh and I will be cruising the Holiday (for our 3rd time) in Sept. We love the crew and staff on board. Also thanks for the info on the Twister. We had been contemplating that excurison. I'm still not sure. Question is... how safe it it? I've ziplined, parasailed, ride any ride at the amusement park....just not sure about the twister.

We will be on the Holiday Aug 29! What time were you able to board?

TKing, when we were there in February we got to the port at about 11 am, were checked in by 11:30 and on board by noon! We thought it was a very simple check-in procedure...there were about 50-75 people already there when we got there. The great thing about the Holiday is that there are many repeat passengers and many of them know each other...makes the wait go by very quickly because they will keep you entertained. Very friendly bunch on the ship!!

Seafor2, we hadn't really even thought about the "safety" of the Twister when we booked this shore excursion, but after doing it, I think you're wise to ask! The two operators of the boat stress safety to all the passengers. You will be outfitted in life jackets (the slimmer type that fasten in front) and you will be strapped into your seat with over-the-head type seat belts that fasten to a buckle on the bottom of the seat between your legs. They check the security of the seat belts several times during the ride over and back. There were several children on the boat as well as young adults and everyone really enjoyed the adventure.

Frankly, I hadn't paid attention to the 360s mentioned in the description of the excursion, but it was fine. I probably wouldn't do it again, but not because of safety issues. The operators did six 360s on the ride to the island and 10 on the way back. Too many for us old folks!

Jennifer

We thought they could have done a better job with the food items, although the service was impecable. They had wonderful choices but just overcooked most of the off-the-menu items. Too bad!

Questions?

Jennifer

Can you clarify what off menu items you are talking about?:confused:

Thanks!

Ben

We just returned from the four-night cruise aboard the Holiday, leaving from Mobile, only port was Cozumel.

We found the ship to be in good shape, clean, well-kept, and welcoming. Our cabin was spotless, cool, and fresh~! Our room steward kept our little ice cooler filled daily with ice and we tipped him an extra $20 at the end of the cruise.

There were 600 kids on the ship, they stayed occupied at Camp Carnival and around the kids pool area. Families were enjoying the time together and couldn't have chosen a better value for their vacation dollars.

The two shows we saw were fabulous, both singers and dancers knocked themselves out to entertain.

We took the shore excursion "Isla Pasion by Twister" and had a blast. Most on our fast boat were much younger than us but we hung in there with them, doing all the 360s, and getting soaking wet! Island was lovely although you could still see evidence of Hurricane Dean. It's been replanted, rebuilt (bathrooms, shops, restaurant, etc.). The water and beach are the best part -- you can't beat Mother Nature for providing a relaxing, fun experience. Food ok, guacamole, salsa, and chips were the best part. We didn't drink any of the specialty drinks, opting for cokes and water.

For the price, you can't beat this cruise!

Questions?

Jennifer

The Holiday will always hold a special place in my heart. She was my very first Cruise ship experience. And 4 years later I went to work on her in the entertainment department. She had put alot of miles on herself but I still love her.:)

Texas-ben, the "off-the-menu" items were the items we ordered from the menu in the diningroom. The buffet offerings didn't seem to be overcooked, although we mostly ate burgers and pizza there. It's a shame that the kitchen couldn't manage the timing better because they had wonderful ingredients to work with. The prime rib was a beautiful cut, the lobster tails were a nice size, etc. Now, they did an ok job on the shrimp, both as an appetizer and as an entree...just my opinion...

Cruzdon, you will exit off at Water Street, I think, before the tunnel. Carnival has proper directions on their website to the Mobile terminal.

The exit is clearly marked and the access to the parking garage is easy!

Jennifer

can anyone help with directions coming from louisiana to the terminal. do you exit before the tunnel or after?

thanks

don

Exit before tunnel

1.Head northwest on Constant St toward Jackson St266 ft

2.Turn left at Jackson St0.7 mi

3.Turn left at MacArthur Dr0.1 mi

4.Take the ramp on the left onto MacArthur Dr/US-165/US-710.7 mi

5.At Masonic Dr, take the 2nd exit onto MacArthur Dr/US-71 Continue to follow US-71

3.0 mi

6.Merge onto I-49 S via the ramp to Opelousas81.0 mi

7.Take the exit onto I-10 E toward Baton Rouge56.3 mi

8.Slight right at I-12 E (signs for I-12/Hammond)86.4 mi

9.Continue on I-10 E Passing through Mississippi

Entering Alabama

109 mi

10.Take exit 26B to merge onto S Water St0.8 mi

11.Slight right at N Water St0.2 mi

12.Turn left at St Anthony St105 ft

icon_greenB.pngMobile Alabama Cruise Terminal

201 N Water St

Mobile, AL 36602

Texas-ben, the "off-the-menu" items were the items we ordered from the menu in the diningroom. The buffet offerings didn't seem to be overcooked, although we mostly ate burgers and pizza there. It's a shame that the kitchen couldn't manage the timing better because they had wonderful ingredients to work with. The prime rib was a beautiful cut, the lobster tails were a nice size, etc. Now, they did an ok job on the shrimp, both as an appetizer and as an entree...just my opinion...

Jennifer

I've read this from other posters on cruise critic as well, do you suggest ordering on level less cooked than you normally would on the beef? I am planning to have the beef dishes as I'm not a big fish eater. I usually order it medium so should I order medium rare?

Thanks for the info!:D

Ben

Ben, I think so...and be sure to order from the listings "of the day" not from what they always have available. I made the mistake of ordering the grilled snapper one night and it was so tough, I couldn't cut it. I think they call the entrees that are available every night "Carnival Classics" or something like that, but they'll be listed at the bottom of the menu folder.

And I don't want to seem overly negative! David had the delicious "chocolate melting cake" or whatever it's called every night and it really is exceptional. Almost like a melted candy bar or partially cooked brownies...and they give you a small dish of vanilla ice cream with it!

De-lish!

One day for lunch, we ate in the diningroom and had the best sushi, and also veggie fajitas...both were really good.

Jennifer

Archived