Island Princess Southbound Review - 7/26 to 8-3-09

dazzie25

I am a bit late getting this done because I wanted to get my pics done so I could add the link to my review. Got all the pics done, then my computer crashed and all I had was the dreaded blue screen! :mad: Finally back up and running and thankfully had just finished saving the pics just before the crash!

This was our very first cruise and we LOVED it. Everything went smoothly and I was so thankful for that since we were so far from home. A big THANK YOU to CC and all of you who helped make this first cruise so wonderful.

The weather was foggy, rainy, and cool the first two days. On the third, Glacier Bay day, it cleared off mid morning and was simply gorgeous for the rest of the cruise. I needed a light jacket early mornings and late evenings if I was out on deck. Other than that, we were in t-shirts and shorts especially in port. Most of the shops did not have AC so very glad I changed my packing list to include the t-shirts after reading about the weather up there this year.

The ship was wonderful, never felt crowded. On Glacier Bay day, by all means head for the "secret" Caribe and Baja decks all the way forward. We spent all day here and at most there were maybe 30 people. The naturalists announced twice these decks were available for viewing but still did not get crowded.

Only real hitch on our cruise was disembarkation. We were supposed to be off at 8:30a but didn't get off til 9a. No big deal, really. Customs was a breeze, then right to the rental car. Drove to Seattle, then flew home the next day.

The only thing about the whole cruise I would have changed was the food in the buffet. It was only so so. I dearly loved breakfast but dinner was usually a disaster. I don't care for fu fu sauces smothering my meat and it seemed that was all they had. The other meat selections were what they carved and rare. Nope, it has to be done, no pink for me. Most nights I had salad and fruits. The Octoberfest night was my fav, they offered roasted chicken. For lunch we enjoyed the pizza. OMGoodness the best pizza I've ever had! We didn't find the cheeseburgers till the last day on the boat. Oh well, now we know.

Our room steward was the best!! Ruben took such good care of us. He always had a big smile and hello for us. Anything we needed, he took care of right away. In fact, everyone who worked on the ship was friendly and very helpful. They were quick to clean up empty plates, glasses, spills, etc. We rode once up to the Lido deck with the captain of the boat. Even he said a friendly hello and hoped we were enjoying our trip.

We did two excursions - Prince William Sound was the first before we boarded the Island. It was wonderful. We loved the scenery even if it was rainy, foggy, and cool. It just added to the mystic of Alaska, IMHO.

Our second excursion was whale watching in Juneau. We went with AK Whale Watching. Summing it up in one word – FABULOUS!! The whales were bubble net feeding. So very cool how in sync they are. Later we saw a baby whale who thought throwing his tail to make big splashes was the thing to do. It was having a grand time. A big guy surfaced right by the boat, nearly gave us all heart attacks when he took a breath. We got the noise of his spout then everyone yelling but didn’t get video since the cam was pointed at floor. :D The time flew by and before we knew it, it was time to return to the Island.

We enjoyed the comedians on the Island. Went to see both of them and one crew show, all were the second shows. The early evenings were all spent out on the deck, usually starboard side looking for whales, seals, otters, etc. Almost every evening between 6p – 8p, usually, there was something to watch. Our last evening before arriving into Vancouver, there were Orcas to watch. Awesome, awesome, awesome. One came up right below where we were standing in the wake off the side of the boat. Seeing Orcas was one of the things we hoped for and seemed the perfect ending to an awesome first cruise and dream trip to Alaska. On day 3 we decided once we were home, we needed to start planning our next cruise. Cruising is our now our favorite way to vacation, so much more relaxing and enjoyable!!

Here is a link to my pics. http://picasaweb.google.com/OurTripPics25/CruiseToAlaskaJuly27ToAug3

All I can say is WOW. I have never seen whale pictures like that! Thank you so much for sharing. My husband and I will be doing a Northbound on Sapphire Princess on the 5th of September, and are booked for a whale watch with Captain Louis and AK Whale Watch. I have not been terribly excited about it, but I had a Toursaver 2 for 1 coupon. Now I am excited! I know we probably won't see the bubble feeding, but the whole setting is gorgeous. What fabulous pictures.

Great whale watching pictures. Best I've seen.

The Island/Coral are wonderful ships along with the Sapphire/Diamond are our 4 favorite ships and have been on all four and will be back on the Island next week Vancouver up then over to Seward for a few days and the 9 hour Kenai Northwestern tour have done the six hour.

When you return try to do Kenai Nat Park an absolute must see in Alaska. This will be our 4th time to Alaska but not our last.:D

Jack

for the lovely

Thanks for the review.

If the buffet was so bad why did you keep eating there?

We tried the dining room twice, I forgot to mention that. It was totally not our thing. We were very thankful to have the option for dining elsewhere. As I mentioned, the meat selection in the buffet was the ONLY thing I would have had be different. Other than that small thing, we had a wonderful time and will go again.

Wow, your pics are amazing. Can I ask what kind of camera you use? Everything is so clear.

We were on the cruise the week after yours. I agree that the buffet was not very good. This was my 7th cruise (6th cruisethat I remember... I was 5 on my first) and this is by far the worst foodwe've had on a ship. Every day we would go look at the menu for the dining room. If it looked good we'd eat there. Some nights nothing looked good so we'd go to the buffet. Funny you liked the Oktoberfest night. We thought that was the worst night (I did have the grilled chicken which was good, but they only had dark meat pieces and I only like white meat generally). Breakfast was always good (but the same thing everyday got boring!!). Lunch I did salads a lot and sometimes they had chicken skewers which were awesome. Desserts weregood but the cookies were ALWAYS rock hard!! We discovered that if you got a hot plate and put the cookies on, it softened them.

In spite of the buffet being gross, I still managed to gain 6 pounds on the cruise ROFL!! I ate way too many desserts .... and mug after mug of hot cocoa in Glacier Bay and College Fjord.

Oh, the grill upstairs was great. Awesome grilled chicken burgers.

simmy

Archived