Need advise...

Shekim

I've searched and searched and searched for something to do in Jamaica. Here's what I'm looking for: just a 3-4 hour tour of the countryside. I really don't want to do a ship tour because EVERYONE will be doing that in Jamaica. I found Martha Shaw, got information but her tours last around 6 hours! I just don't know what else to look at. We've got friends going and they've never cruised, nor been outside of the state and really want them to be able to see a little of the countryside. Jamaica is beautiful!

We really have no desire for a beach day nor shopping. Can anyone give me any ideas/advice on what to do or where to look? I'm googled out! thanks in advance...

Checkout www.barrettadventures.com. This web site will give you an e-mail address and phone number where you can contact them and maybe book a specific tour of your own?

Thanks texaspappy...I know I looked at Barret Adventures at one time. Edited to say: I just realized I had emailed them and received a brochure. They require a minimum 6 hours! Too long for us...I'll keep looking. there has to be something that will suit our needs.

Good luck, I tried to find something also in April and could not find anything under 6 hours. I just want a short tour of the country side of Jamaica, which is very pretty, but gets a bad rap with the locals trying to sell you things. I regret that I could not find anything and just hung out at the port for about a half hour and went back on the ship. Let me know if you find anything, I will be going again next year and hope to be able to enjoy Jamaica.(we were in Montego Bay) kmbb

I've searched and searched and searched for something to do in Jamaica. Here's what I'm looking for: just a 3-4 hour tour of the countryside. I really don't want to do a ship tour because EVERYONE will be doing that in Jamaica. I found Martha Shaw, got information but her tours last around 6 hours! I just don't know what else to look at. We've got friends going and they've never cruised, nor been outside of the state and really want them to be able to see a little of the countryside. Jamaica is beautiful!

We really have no desire for a beach day nor shopping. Can anyone give me any ideas/advice on what to do or where to look? I'm googled out! thanks in advance...

Check out http://www.yardietours.com I think they have what you are looking for.

I have used them on more than one occasion and was always pleased with their service.

Go to www.traversejamaica.com Lascells will customize anything you want and give you a good price. Just email him and tell him what you would like. I used him when I was in Jamaica a couple of weeks ago and he is worth his weight in diamonds. Very informative and willing to go the extra mile to make is customers happy. We customized our tour and did different things.

Have a great trip. Let me know if you want more info.

Kristin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Did you contact Marva by e-mail?, I bet she will adjust to a tour to your liking. We just did a tour with her and it was great. knowjamaica.com is her e-mail address.

Hi,

Did you contact Marva by e-mail?, I bet she will adjust to a tour to your liking. We just did a tour with her and it was great. knowjamaica.com is her e-mail address.

thanks, pjpurple6. the information she sent were minimum 6 hours! Or I would reserve with her. I'll keep looking; we have until February to make a decision.

Please post here when you find something. We too have until February until we're in Jamaica and only want a 2-3 hour tour of the countryside and villages. We just want to get a taste of Jamaica. We love the beach and shopping but we'll be doing that on other islands.

Please post here when you find something. We too have until February until we're in Jamaica and only want a 2-3 hour tour of the countryside and villages. We just want to get a taste of Jamaica. We love the beach and shopping but we'll be doing that on other islands.

I will do; I did find out that Moby Dick tours, from Grand Cayman, is now doing tours in Jamaica--out of Ocho Rios! when I emailed and asked about Montego Bay i was told that if enough people sign up then they would consider a tour from MB. But he didn't specify how many is enough. I need to follow up with him.

I love Jamaica...so much I just purchased a home in Runaway Bay, about an hour from Montego Bay...this past week. The country side is beautiful..you must go to Black River for Pepper Shrimp, (in the mountains) and there are so many other beautiful places to go to..but it's best to go with a local.

I have a driver there, Devron, so if you are interested in a private tour (he does them for tourists all the time) you can email me and I'll give you his numbre and you can set it up before you go.

Are you going to be at port in Ocho Rios or Montego Bay? He can go to either..he usually picks me up in Montego Bay but last week I stayed in Ocho Rios..Runaway Bay is smack in the middle of the two.

I love Jamaica...so much I just purchased a home in Runaway Bay, about an hour from Montego Bay...this past week. The country side is beautiful..you must go to Black River for Pepper Shrimp, (in the mountains) and there are so many other beautiful places to go to..but it's best to go with a local.

I have a driver there, Devron, so if you are interested in a private tour (he does them for tourists all the time) you can email me and I'll give you his numbre and you can set it up before you go.

Are you going to be at port in Ocho Rios or Montego Bay? He can go to either..he usually picks me up in Montego Bay but last week I stayed in Ocho Rios..Runaway Bay is smack in the middle of the two.

I would love to contact you...I really don't want to miss Jamaica. I have thought about it and it is too beautiful to not get off the ship. please let me know how to get in tourch with you. thanks so much, Gathina!

There will be licensed cab drivers/tour guides waiting by the pier that can provide a tour of any length you want -- two hours, three hours? No problem mon!. Find one that's friendly, check for the red license place thing (shows they're legal, licensed, and insured), check that the air conditioning works, negotiate a price, and go.

I've done this many times and always had a great time. No problems if I get a late start in the morning as no one is waiting specifically for me. I'll usually have a general list of things I want to see or do, the driver will put it in some kind of logical order and maybe suggest additional stops/sights. Couldn't be easier.

shekim: my email is meninadechea@aol.com would love to assist you..my experience is atypical as I have extended family there and know the culture well, but having a driver helps. Devron is the bomb..pay him a fair deal and buy him a red stripe and a piece of jerk and he's happy!

Try the White Witch of Rosehall plantation..it's a fascinating museum/plantation, gorgeous gardens, and an amazing story of how this woman killed all of her husbands in the mansion..and the mansion itself, it's furnishings, is incredible. It's not too far from Montego Bay or Ocho Rios, kinda in the middle. The tour is a little over an hour and makes for great photo opportunitites.

If you hire a driver, consider a drive to the Black River junction..for pepper shrimp..you'll see the countryside along the way

About the air conditioning..most Jamaicans DON'T use the air conditoning..takes up too much gas. Some will if you ask. But most don't. You get used to it.

There will be licensed cab drivers/tour guides waiting by the pier that can provide a tour of any length you want -- two hours, three hours? No problem mon!. Find one that's friendly, check for the red license place thing (shows they're legal, licensed, and insured), check that the air conditioning works, negotiate a price, and go.

I've done this many times and always had a great time. No problems if I get a late start in the morning as no one is waiting specifically for me. I'll usually have a general list of things I want to see or do, the driver will put it in some kind of logical order and maybe suggest additional stops/sights. Couldn't be easier.

What places have you had a driver take you to? I'm just a little worried about the roads...I'm a very nervous rider! But as long as the sites are close to Montego Bay (and I keep my eyes closed!) we can find something to do.

I know you said you're not really looking for a beach day, but you really should check out bamboo beach club. Obviously it's on a beach, but it's so much more than a beach. They had great entertainment all day. Lots of native dancing and drumming, really colorful costumes - we really felt we had a "Jamaican" experience. Also, great food and drinks, plus all inclusive.

I know you said you're not really looking for a beach day, but you really should check out bamboo beach club. Obviously it's on a beach, but it's so much more than a beach. They had great entertainment all day. Lots of native dancing and drumming, really colorful costumes - we really felt we had a "Jamaican" experience. Also, great food and drinks, plus all inclusive.

thanks for the info ginoboy! I'll throw that in the mix and let my friends decided. I'm DONE! LOL...

Archived