Soda's in carry on...

Disfan5

We are planning to bring a couple 12 packs of soda with us on our cruise. Would there be an issue bringing them in our carry on bag? I do realize that we probably would not have access to our cabin to drop them off, and that we would have to schlep them around with us. It's my husband's job because it's his idea. We have a rolling duffel so it wouldn't be that much of an issue.

It won't be a problem at all. We carried two 12 packs of soda in our carry-on and packed a case of bottled water in our luggage. In fact, our room steward helped us empty the mini-bar so we could load our own drinks in it.

Do they check your carry on's? WHat happens if they see it, do they let it go through or take it?

I've never done this and am planning on bringing bottled water on board.

Whats the best way to do this?

It won't be a problem at all. We carried two 12 packs of soda in our carry-on and packed a case of bottled water in our luggage. In fact, our room steward helped us empty the mini-bar so we could load our own drinks in it.

Do they check your carry on's? WHat happens if they see it, do they let it go through or take it?

I've never done this and am planning on bringing bottled water on board.

Whats the best way to do this?

they run them through an x-ray machine, 9 times out of 10 they won't see it but if they do they will let you go

just bring the water in your carry on or you can check a case of water if you would like

Dumb question.... do you have to wrap a case of water ? Or go through as is ?

they run them through an x-ray machine, 9 times out of 10 they won't see it but if they do they will let you go

just bring the water in your carry on or you can check a case of water if you would like

everybody on here is always saying it's ok to bring sodas, water, etc. on their carry-ons but i guess we're 'special'. ...... we got stopped with two 20-oz. bottles of soda (unopened) in our backpack. we had just purchased them at the CVS ... they still had sweat on the outside of the bottle because the soda was still cold.

the guard told us to 'drink it or toss it'. we opened one bottle, chugged a mouthful or two and then threw the rest of that one away and tossed the unopened one in the trash, too. he said, 'no liquids in your carry-ons'. (whatever????? ......)

so, i'm not sure if the guard was in a cranky mood or what, but we weren't able to take ANY soda on in our carry-ons. i didn't question him or cause any trouble .... just did what i was told. i didn't want to start off my vacation with an argument with the security guard over $4.00 worth of soda.

now, on the other hand, we always manage to get a bottle of whatever beverage we want on board in our checked baggage. :D

i'd take the safer route and put my sodas in the checked baggage.

this happened at the port of miami just last month as we were boarding the imagination.

Not sure why they did to you because I know it is also Ok to carry on a couple of bottles of wine and/or champagne and as far as I know they are LIQUIDS!!

we have always carried on champagne and soda and are on the imagination Sept. 7th.

no you can let it go through as is

If you plan on checking it with the porter be aware that In the past it not a problem to just slap a luggage tag on a case of water ant the porter would take it... Recently that has changed... Several posters have been told by the porters that they cannot take cases of water or soda that it MUST be placed inside of a bag. I always take a collapsible tote/sports bag that I put mine in and then when its empty I simple stuff it in one of my suitcases. No problem putting a luggage tag on it that way.

I'm a HUGE water drinker and everyone on here is saying their water tastes nasty.

Curious as to where you heard this? In my opinion and from what I have read everyone says the water on the ship is good to excellent!

everybody on here is always saying it's ok to bring sodas, water, etc. on their carry-ons but i guess we're 'special'. ...... we got stopped with two 20-oz. bottles of soda (unopened) in our backpack. we had just purchased them at the CVS ... they still had sweat on the outside of the bottle because the soda was still cold.

the guard told us to 'drink it or toss it'. we opened one bottle, chugged a mouthful or two and then threw the rest of that one away and tossed the unopened one in the trash, too. he said, 'no liquids in your carry-ons'. (whatever????? ......)

so, i'm not sure if the guard was in a cranky mood or what, but we weren't able to take ANY soda on in our carry-ons. i didn't question him or cause any trouble .... just did what i was told. i didn't want to start off my vacation with an argument with the security guard over $4.00 worth of soda.

now, on the other hand, we always manage to get a bottle of whatever beverage we want on board in our checked baggage. :D

i'd take the safer route and put my sodas in the checked baggage.

this happened at the port of miami just last month as we were boarding the imagination.

I wonder what the deal is with this because I have carried on 12 packs of water and pop and had no issues. however when we went through the xray machines recently they made my wife dump her bottle of water and the one full can of pop she had in her back pack.

I thought the wording in the "cruise contract" (that nobody really ever reads) said a reasonable amount of non-alcoholic drinks can be brought on board. Now, I don't know what reasonable really is, but I would think a 12 pack or even case of water.

Last cruise, in November, I know my two SILs both brought on drinks and didn't have any issues. I'll have to check and see if that is still current.

I checked, and on page three of the online cruise documents (where you can print your luggage tags at the end) it states you can bring on non-alcoholic drinks.

I'm wondering if there's some cross-communication going on here.

If you're flying, you cannot bring liquids in your carry-on bag. You will be asked to throw them away, or you might really get hassled by TSA. My DH really thought he might be arrested when he forgot he had a Swiss army knife in his pocket and set off the metal detector.

Do not try to bring on liquids in your air travel carry-ons.

When you get to the ship, though, you either give your luggage to a porter to get delivered to your room, or you can hold onto some of your bags to have with you on the ship. It can take hours for luggage to get delivered, and you might need access to clothes or things during that time. That's what people mean when they talk about carry-ons aboard the ship - bags that you carry rather than have the ship deliver to your room.

You can bring some amount of beverages aboard the ship for personal use. They're not clear about how much. Anything you bring on is depriving them of money, so how tolerant people are varies. You're probably more likely to get away with bringing on lots of beverages if you haul them around yourself rather than give to a porter to deliver to your room. Still, many people report success with just slapping a luggage tag on cases of water. My impression is that water is more likely to get through than soda, which is definitely a profit center for the ships.

We put 3 eight-packs of soda and a 12 pack of water in a big suitcase and checked it on the Glory a few weeks ago...no problems whatsoever. Also packed a bottle of wine in a big Ziplock and just surrounded it with clothes...also no problem. I wouldn't try this if you were flying...we drove to the port.

Archived