??Time Zone Changes on a Western Caribbean Cruise??

Jaymee287

We will be cruising next summer June 6 - June 13 2010!! Our first cruise for all 3 of us :D!! We will be cruising on the Carnival Legend. The ship departs from Tampa Florida, Day at Sea, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, Cozumel, Mexico, Belize, Brazil, and Isla Roatan, Honduras, Day at Sea, and returning to the Tampa port. Do we need to worry about time changes? Like if we book an excursion or something of that sort? Like when I went to Europe I had a watch with American time and a watch with European time. Do we need to take this precaution to make it back to the ship on time?

You can tell first time cruiser I just want everything to go smoothly! If you have additional information that will help us out regarding the ship, excursions, and that sort of stuff please don't be shy we will take the info graciously!

You will always stay on ship time. Just keep your watch set to the time in Tampa. There's a reminder on your daily newsletter each day to keep your watch on ship's time, too. Some cellphones will change their clock to local time, so don't rely on this ! (my hubby does, so we've had some little surprises!)

The tour operators in these ports are all very well aware of the time differences. If you are booking your tours through the ship, time will not be an issue whatsoever. IF you are booking privately, just confirm with the operator as you book what your meeting time and sailing time will be.

I think we may be booking maybe 2 excursions through the ship and 2 through a private vendor MUCH cheaper! So stay on American time and we will be perfect. I guess we could take a copy of our scheduled times for docking and departing with us and that should be enough.

Do you have any additional information for first time cruisers about ANYTHING at all we are open to any and all help we can get!

We will be cruising next summer June 6 - June 13 2010!! Our first cruise for all 3 of us :D!! We will be cruising on the Carnival Legend. The ship departs from Tampa Florida, Day at Sea, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, Cozumel, Mexico, Belize, Brazil, and Isla Roatan, Honduras, Day at Sea, and returning to the Tampa port. Do we need to worry about time changes? Like if we book an excursion or something of that sort? Like when I went to Europe I had a watch with American time and a watch with European time. Do we need to take this precaution to make it back to the ship on time?

You can tell first time cruiser I just want everything to go smoothly! If you have additional information that will help us out regarding the ship, excursions, and that sort of stuff please don't be shy we will take the info graciously!

You should not have to change time on this cruise. BTY you are not going to Brazil but Belize City, Belize

You do need to be aware of the time differences. We are on this same cruise in October of this year. We booked an excursion locally and were told to be there at "their time". So you do need to be aware of the time differences. If you do book through the cruise line then all times will be to "ship time" and will not changes.

I do know that Grand Cayman is on Eastern Standard time and DOES NOT observe daylight savings. So during the summer this is a 1 hour difference between Grand Cayman and the ship.

Cozumel, Belize City, and Roatan are all in Central time zone, but I don't remember which ones observe daylight savings. So you would have at least a 1 hour and possibly a 2 hour time difference there.

As advised, keep you watch on ship's time as this is important with the published arrival and departure times of the ship. But just be clear with any locally booked excursions.

As advised, keep you watch on ship's time as this is important with the published arrival and departure times of the ship. But just be clear with any locally booked excursions.

And watch your cell phone, if you use it for time. It may automatically change to local time.

We are sailing on the Freedom in January and I have been reading reviews...it has been mentioned that the pax were advised to change their clocks to match PORT time the night before Cozumel. One person even posted the Capers and it was there clear as day. Anyone know what this is all about? We have never done that on a cruise before and hadn't heard of it.

I think it is important to know the time difference - as mentioned above there were some independent tour operators that were providing us with a 'local' meeting time - which was hard to figure out sometimes given daylights savings time etc.

This site might be helpful: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedform.html?year=2008&month=11&day=4&hour=14&min=0&sec=0&p1=36

And definitely do not go by your cell phone as they do switch to local time and can throw you off - you should definitely keep your watch on ship's time so you know when you need to be back onboard!

Sorry OP if this appears to be a thread hijack...but is NOLA in the CST or EST? I am sailing Fantasy out of New Orleans and going to Progresso and Cozumel. So if NOLA is in EST our time will remain on EST although Prog and Coz are more than likely CST?

So confused...thanks for the help.

MM

Sorry OP if this appears to be a thread hijack...but is NOLA in the CST or EST? I am sailing Fantasy out of New Orleans and going to Progresso and Cozumel. So if NOLA is in EST our time will remain on EST although Prog and Coz are more than likely CST?

MM

You can Wiki it. New Orleans LA is in the Central time zone, and observes daylight savings. So the correct term is CDT (Central Daylight Time). Yes it is 1 hour different from Eastern time.

OK, back to the OP question. I got online and checked the various parts for the Carnival Legend. It leaves Tampa and this is what the ship's time will be set to.

During the summer months:

Tampa (EDT) Eastern time zone but observes daylight savings

Grand Cayman (EST) does not observe daylight savings so there will be 1 hour difference roughly March through October

The following are all in the central time zone (CST) and also do not observe daylight savings so there will be a 2 hour time difference roughly MArch through October.

Cozumel

Belize City

Roatan

We are sailing on the Freedom in January and I have been reading reviews...it has been mentioned that the pax were advised to change their clocks to match PORT time the night before Cozumel. One person even posted the Capers and it was there clear as day. Anyone know what this is all about? We have never done that on a cruise before and hadn't heard of it.

This is the only itinerary we have sailed with Carnival where we did change clocks to match port time (we sailed the 8-day on Liberty in February 2007). We changed time before we arrived in Mexico (we had Costa Maya instead of Cozumel) and then changed back at Panama.

The following are all in the central time zone (CST) and also do not observe daylight savings so there will be a 2 hour time difference roughly MArch through October.

Cozumel

Belize City

Roatan

OK..Sorry if I sound stupid. If we are in Coz 8-5 does that mean it will really be 10 their time? Cayman is the only time the time difference seemed to affect us since not one single thing was open when we got off the ship last year. We are there 7-4 next year. Will that make it 9 am their time?:confused::confused::confused:

This is the only itinerary we have sailed with Carnival where we did change clocks to match port time (we sailed the 8-day on Liberty in February 2007). We changed time before we arrived in Mexico (we had Costa Maya instead of Cozumel) and then changed back at Panama.

Thanks for the info...now I am left to wonder why? Guess that would be a good question for the CD.

MM

\

Mexico and NOLA are both on CST. Mexico does not change times needlessley twice a year like the US does. Mexico is currently 1 hour behind US CST.

OK, back to the OP question. I got online and checked the various parts for the Carnival Legend. It leaves Tampa and this is what the ship's time will be set to.

During the summer months:

Tampa (EDT) Eastern time zone but observes daylight savings

Grand Cayman (EST) does not observe daylight savings so there will be 1 hour difference roughly March through October

Cozumel

Belize City

Roatan

Cozumel is in the Central Time Zone but the island does observe daylight saving time.

You also need to bear in mind that a few years ago the United States changed when Daylight Saving Time is observed. We moved back the start to early March and the end was extended to early November. The rest of the world did not make these changes. So when USA departure ports switch time, Foreign ports, Mexican ports being the most common for Carnival itineraries will not be changing the same weekend.

Are we confused yet? :D

\

Mexico and NOLA are both on CST. Mexico does not change times needlessley twice a year like the US does. Mexico is currently 1 hour behind US CST.

In Mexico Daylight Saving Time begins at 2:00 a.m. local time on the first Sunday in April. On the last Sunday in October areas on Daylight Saving Time fall back to Standard Time at 2:00 a.m. The state of Sonora like the state of Arizona does not observe Daylight Saving Time.

While most of Mexico is in the Central Time Zone, the Nation has three time zones, not just one.

mexico_time_zones.gif

OK..Sorry if I sound stupid. If we are in Coz 8-5 does that mean it will really be 10 their time? Cayman is the only time the time difference seemed to affect us since not one single thing was open when we got off the ship last year. We are there 7-4 next year. Will that make it 9 am their time?:confused::confused::confused:

It actually means it will be 6-3 Coz time. GC is either 6-3 or same time.

Going by your signature you are talking about Valor next April 25? If this is so, Cozumel will be one hour behind Florida so 8-5 will be 7-4 local.

I read those same reviews and fount it interesting becuase last September on the Glory we did not turn the clocks at all stayed on ship time. However when we cruised Princess on a Southern we turned the clocks the first night when leaving Port Everglades and on the last night of the cruise, also changed the clocks on Disney. Since I have done both I like it when the ship and local time is the same.

:confused: this is making my head spin!!! These are the times we will be at the locations. Can someone please make a note somewhere explaining what the ship time would be and what the port time will be at the stop. Also has anyone visited Chankanaab Park in Cozumel?? We are there 10-6 is that enough time to swim with the dolphins snorkel and snuba we want to utilize our time wisely....so figure in one stop and then chill on the beach. Please post my time change issue and if you have info on the park. Thanks

spacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif

Sunday 6-6-10 depart Tampa 4pm

Monday 6-7-10 Day at Sea

Tuesday 6-8-10 Grand Cayman, Cayman Ilsands 7-4

Wednesday 6-9-10 Cozumel, Mexico 10-6

Thursday 6-10-10 Belize 8-5

Friday 6-11-10 Isla Roatan

Saturday 6-12-10 Day at Sea

Sunday 6-13-10 return to Tampa 8am

:eek:PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND :eek: lol

According to the time/clock website - I believe Miami & cozumel are currently one hour apart. Now if you are told to change your clocks on the ship - then you will need to adjust this accordingly.....

Right now it is 3:30 pm in Cozumel and in Miami it is now 4:30 pm- Cozumel is in the CDT - or central time zone. Daylight savings time there starts on April 5 and ends on Oct 25th....

This information will help you plan excursions if operators are dealing only in local time - however you must still keep your watch on ship's time so that you know when you must be back on board!

Hope this is helpful!

bookmark this site: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/search.html

REGARDLESS, you go by ship time. NOT the local time. If you go by local time, you may miss the ship while in port.

Legend stays on Tampa time the entire week. You arrive at Grand Cayman at 6:00 a.m. local time, Cozumel 9:00 local time, Belize 7:00 local time and Roatan 7:00 local time. All local vendors know when the ships arrive and depart and will get you to the ship on time. (this is what Legend did last week)

Archived