Things to do in Miami

bolt

We will be staying in Miami for a couple of days after our cruise in April. We are considering the everglades tour when we get off the ship. Any suggestions on what to do. We would like to spend some time at the beach. Any suggestions on which beach? We are in our mid 40's.

Thanks for your help!

Kim

First, I would rent a car. Having been to South Beach twice :D , that would be a great beach to go to, as long as partial (topless) nudity doesn't upset you... little to no snorkeling (at South Beach) :( , you might want to ask at your hotel for tips in that category...

If you feel like it, you could get up very early and take the 3-hour drive to Key West :D , and spend the day there.... or the 90 min drive to Key Largo..

There is the Everglades thing, havent done that....

Hope this helps...

• 4 weeks later...

We did a post-cruise at the Holiday Inn South Beach in March 2003. The hotel is prime location and steps away from the beach and we walked for miles. If you stay on South Beach, just remember that it's pricey...and most hotels unless you pay $250+ per night are pretty old. I don't complain about prices on vacation and I complained about how expensive it was at South Beach which probably compares to NY city. It was fun and glad we stayed overnight but couldn't afford to stay there for long! Ocean Drive is incredible and all of the art deco is amazing. There is also the zoo. I have never been there but heard it's a good place to spend a few hours. Also, be sure to go to Bayside which is on the other side of Biscayne Bay and near downtown hotels. There are a couple of 90 minute cruises that are cheap - $15 or so per person and will take you around Fisher Island which you'll see when you leave Miami. Lots of rich and famous homes. We didn't rent a car and taxis are high as well. I think a cab from the port to SB was $20.

We are considering booking a tour that goes to Key West - a long day (13 1/2 hours) - but neither of us has seen Key West and it sound fun. Check it out at http://www.miamitours.us . We are also thinking of renting a car for the day to drive there on our own.

We are staying at The Clay Hotel in South Beach. Very inexpensive - looks charming on their website - hope it is when we get there! You can check it out at http://www.clayhotel.com .

We will get in early enough the first day to walk around South Beach, have a nice dinner, etc., and would do Key West the next day. Good luck and have a great cruise!

Does anyone know if there is a dinner cruise in Miami similar to the Jungle Queen in Ft. Lauderdale?

Or what is the easiest way to get back and fort Ft Lauderdale? Didn't really want to pay 78 pp through Miami tours.

Thanks

Kim

• 1 month later...

I have booked the Clay Hotel also for our one night pre-cruise stay. It looked nice on the website and seems to be in a good location - and was only around $70. We will be staying there St. Patrick's Day -- should be a fun night to be in South Beach. I will let you know about the hotel when I return.

Does anyone know if there is a dinner cruise in Miami similar to the Jungle Queen in Ft. Lauderdale?

Or what is the easiest way to get back and fort Ft Lauderdale? Didn't really want to pay 78 pp through Miami tours.

Thanks

Kim

Sorry, nothing like the Jungle Queen in Miami... The cheapest and easiest way to get to Ft Lauderdale would be to rent a car for a day or two, a taxi or limo would be more expensive than just renting a car.

Why not rent a car and drive to Key West, then stay overnight in Key West, and drive back to Miami. Rather than driving down in one day and back, it makes for 7 hours driving time. leave early in the morning, and enjoy all afternoon and evening in Key West, and go to Mallory square to enjoy the famous sunset and shows, and have fun going down Duvall St. and visit some of the famous bars, Margaritaville, Sloppy Joes, and many others. Then in the morning, you can begin driving back to Miami, and enjoy the drive back through the keys at your leisure stopping along the way. We did a 2 night stay in Key West 10 yrs ago, and 3 nights in Islamorada, and was in Key West last year for 1 day from the Majesty. Just a thought, as much more to do in Key West, IMO, than in Miami. While in Miami, be sure to visit South Beach. I am in my mid 40's and think you would enjoy this alternative.

Hope this helps you out.

• 2 weeks later...

I would not try for Key West for a day trip. Even though the drive is about 4 hours under the best of circumstances, anything can turn that 4 hour one way trip into an eight hour one way trip. Traffic, storms, wrecks, can stop traffic backing it up for miles. Of the 150 miles or so of US 1, most of it is two lane road.

There is a jetboat that has a day trip from Miami to Islamorada or Key West. I think it is the Island Rocket.

• 2 months later...

The boat would've been fun if you've already driven from Miami to Key West... It's NOT something you would want to do in a day, but if you can find the time you should drive down and spend at least one night in Key West. Key West is very cool, and the drive down and back is one of the most beautiful, unique, and most spectacular in America!

Do get into the Everglades; maybe take an airboat ride. Key West is fun, but a lot of cruises stop there, so you might get there some time in the future on a cruise. But cruises do not stop at the Everglades, so you should take advantage of the opportunity and see the Everglades area while you can. It's different from any other place.

Thanks - we might do the everglades or maybe do them in the middle of our cruises since we are on back to back. Should we book this via this ship or is it easy to do ourselves? THanks

Depends on what you want to do. If you'll have a car, it's easy to just drive -- maybe to the Everglades Alligator Farm and take an airboat ride there, then continue driving on to the Everglades National Park (about an hour's drive). I'm not aware of any tours that you can book that will take you to the Everglades from around the port, except through the ship, although there may well be some.

Thanks

Kim

Don't think there are any dinner cruises, but there are cruises that go out of Bayside, a shopping and dining complex at the entrance to the Port of Miami. Narrated boat tours highlight mansions on the various man-made islands. Quite enjoyable.

• 3 months later...

How far from Miami down the Key west before the first Stop meaning Hotels Resturants etc? I like to take a drive but dont need to go all the way down the the end, Would be happy somewhere inbetween, One night stay then drive back.

Thanks.:)

It's only 3-4 hours from Miami to Key West, but don't stop in the middle and think you've seen the Keys... You have to go all the way down, Key West - The Conch Republic, is rather "unique" ;)

Do yourself a huge favor and take the time to drive all the way down, spend a couple of nights in Key West, do the Conch Train tour, walk up and down Duval Street, check out the colorful old bars... It's a LOT of fun!!! You WON'T be sorry!

We usually stay at the following hotels...

Hyatt... http://keywest.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp

La Concha... http://www.laconchakeywest.com/

Hilton... http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/index.jhtml;jsessionid=BBLTNBWI1UWLGCSGBIYM22QKIYFCXUUC?ctyhocn=EYWKWHF

Archived