Books on French and Indian War ???

JimP

I am going to take a Canada/New England cruise in October and would like to renew my knowledge of this historical period, particulaly as it relates to battles in Canada. I did this before I took a Panama Canal Cruise and found it very useful. Thanks in advance!!!

JIM

Which "historical period" were you referring to? Quebec City celebrated its 400th Anniversary, I believe last year, so that's lots of history. Also, your topic mentions Indians? I'm in no way a history buff but, I think if you define your question, you may get a more targeted answer from someone out here who is a fan of historical non-fiction.

I believe the OP is referring to the North American portion of the global Seven Years' War, aka known as the French and Indian War 1754-1763; aka Guerre de la Conquête by Quebecois.

I don't know of any specific books that pertain to the Canadian perspective, but you might try searching for something on Wolfe and Montcalm and the Battle of the Plains of Abraham, as I think that is probably what is most pertinent to your cruise.

There are good articles about this in the Canadian Encyclopedia:

--> http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.com/index.cfm?PgNm=TCESubjects&Params=A1

Two books will give you an idea of how the war affected ordinary people in the New England area: the novel Northwest Passage by Kenneth Roberts (it's long, but you only have to read Part I--or rent the movie with Spencer Tracy) and White Devil: A True Story of War, Savagery and Vengeance in Colonial America, a non-fiction work by Stephen Brumwell. Both deal with the attack by Roger's Rangers on the Abenaki village of St. Francis in Quebec.

One of the key events in the Seven Years' War in North America was the Battle of the Plains of Abraham, in which the British under Wolfe defeated the French under Montcalm at Quebec. This year is the 250th anniversary of that battle.

Two classic works on this are Francis Parkman's "Montcalm and Wolfe" and CP Stacey's "Quebec 1759, the Siege and the Battle." A new history has just appeared to mark the anniversary, "Northern Armageddon, the Battle of the Plains of Abraham" by D. Peter Macleod and if you read only one book, that would be my clear choice.

Archived