Solstice Cruise Review July 27th Sailing

simmydw

A long review including pre cruise break in Rome.

We travelled on Solstice on the 27th July 2009, on the 11 night Eastern Med. Voyage. Wife, 2 daughters (12 and 10yrs) and I travelled over from UK, 3 days early to enjoy all that Rome has to offer. We pre booked transfers with Rome Cabs, and the driver was waiting with a sign outside customs/baggage reclaim, with our name on it. We walked out of the airport and into the sunshine! We were staying at the Crowne Plaza Rome St Peters and the journey took around 45mins, along mostly motorway. We were quickly checked in, to a nice room on the 1st floor( 2nd floor for those from the USA) and quickly went out to the large pool area. There were plenty of beds available around the pool and we enjoyed sharing it with both the USA and Australian swimming teams who were over for the World Swimming Championships. We decided that the family routine would include pool time for our girls then sightseeing when it was cooler. That evening we took the hotel courtesy bus to near to the Pantheon and explored this part of town. On first viewing it is easy to fall in love with Rome and all it has to offer. We ate at a restaurant near the Pantheon called La Pigna, I think, just over 100euros for the 4 of us including a bottle of wine and starter, main and dessert, soft drinks for the kids, plus water. We took a taxi back from a rank near the bus dropping off point, cost around 11 euros.

The following day began by the pool followed by some lunch and then an evening trip to the coliseum and Victor Emmanuelle memorial and all the various Roman Remains surrounding. This was about a ten-minute walk from the courtesy bus stop. We then wandered back to around the Pantheon and ate at a little pizza place called La Sagrestia, in a side street by the Pantheon. We had spotted it the night before and decided to try it. Bill(Check) was 67 euros for fantastic pizza, wafer thin and crispy, as well as two menus touristic, which was brushetta, pasta dish, chicken Milanese and salad, plus drink. All and all fantastic. So good we returned the following evening. Home again to the hotel, about 12 euros tonight, same rank, same journey.

Early rise as this was the last Sunday of the month and free entry to the Vatican. Took a taxi from the hotel around 7 euros, and arrived there at about 0845hrs, no queue, very quiet and walked straight in to baggage check and up to the Basilica. 7 euros for the lift, 5 euros to walk, we took the lift! This takes you up about half way, plenty of warning signs stating that further stairs to the top, some 320, I think. Paused for some water at a fountain, toilets were here as well, before setting out on these 320 steps. This starts out very gradual before becoming like a stair machine at a gym. Briefly opened out into a view of the chapel’s ceilings and blow, frescos everywhere, just stunning! Carried on up the stairs, which slopped in from above and the side of you before becoming almost corkscrew like in twistyness and steepness. Youngest daughter nearly bottled it at this point as only a bit of rope to hold onto but we pushed on and made it out on to the circular balcony for fantastic views around the Vatican City and Rome. Loads of pictures later and thoughts that the Pope must employ a serious amount of gardeners, for the stunning gardens, we made our way down a different stairway to the lift and into the Chapel itself. Sunday service going on as well as baptisms. Just stunning though lost on the kids. We went outside and split up, me to go and get tickets for the swimming that night, family to the hotel. Lunch by the pool and then taxi to the swimming stadium. Great taxi driver, it was a bit like stock car racing, making 2 lanes of traffic into three, as he carved down the middle and making the 5-mile journey in about 3 minutes (At least that was what it felt like!) Privileged to watch swimming and fans went mad when Italian Pelligrini one gold in 400m free, Britons second and third. Rousing national anthem singing and clapping followed by men’s 4 x 100m free (Daughters saw Phelps in the flesh, almost the highlight of the whole holiday, I think my wife thought the same every day at the pool, when the teams would train!! Maybe I should get some skimpy Speedos). Long walk before cab back to Pantheon and same again at La Sagrestia. Cab back to the hotel 13 euros, slow driver, this time!

Up early for 1045 transfer with Rome Cabs to Civitivechia. On time, female driver, sedate journey, small traffic jam, at the port for 1145. The ship is a long way into the port; Pier 24 seems to ring a bell. Taken right to the door and luggage to baggage handlers, fill in health questionnaire, to online ticket queue, 5 minutes and onto the ship. Up to the Ocean view cafe, food and then room at about 1330hrs. Cases there waiting outside. We were in a family balcony, forward starboard.

Room description – Entry followed by kid’s bedroom with Pullman bunk style beds, wardrobe with safe in. Opposite here was the small bathroom with a nice shower and nicely laid out and decorated. No room to swing a cat! Out to a large and I mean large sitting area, maybe some of this space could have increased the size of the kids bedroom or the bathroom, with still room for the sofa bed. Plenty of storage around tv and vanity, probably 6 drawers, minibar and hairdryer in drawer by vanity 3 power points here (All American plug sockets on ship for non US citizens) Small balcony with small table and 2 chairs. The superstructure angles over about a third of the balcony. Still room to sit with glass of sparkling wine in the evening and just chill. Master bedroom was large with one small wardrobe and storage above the bed, one wall with window angled slopping with superstructure. We have been used to inside cabins, suffice to say wow!! For further info about this room just ask.

Out onto the pool deck for some sun and chilling time, bagged a cabana like structure and blessed my parents who had paid for this! By chance saw them getting on board at about 1600hrs, having flown from UK the same day.

Bought drinks package for kids, big mistake. Soda was choice of Diet Coke, full fat Coke or Sprite and all awful. Much better buying a $2 can or stocking up with soft drinks at ports where they were cheaper.

Food – We were first sitting at 1815hrs. Main dining room I would suggest was fair. They are probably trying to make too many fancy dishes and not able to carry it off. Vegetable barely cooked; close to raw apart from the green beans, which were always slushy and overcooked. Desserts awful, I had Ice Cream or nothing all 11 nights. I am not a food snob and will eat almost anything but some food just was poorly put together. Entree salads were generally the highlight or simple New York Sirloin or beef dishes were the only things well cooked, to order. Do recall the Pork Chop being excellent one night though. If I were giving it a mark out of 10 I would say 4. Service was outstanding though with Camilo and Jose, cheerful, happy and always able to swap any dish or serve it without sauce for fussy daughter. However for all the food was not as good as I have experienced on other cruises, it is still fantastic to sit around a nice table with the family and enjoy a meal being served to us. Ronny was our wine waiter and like our wait staff, 11 out of 10!!

Food I would say was better in the Ocean view cafe for quality and consistency, we had one evening meal there when returning too late in Kusadassi. Sorry we did not eat in any of the surcharge restaurants, menus did not appeal to us although the rooms all looked beautiful, towards the aft of the ship. We did notice on a number of nights very few people for first sitting, so they either used these or on the late nights in port ate elsewhere.

Room Attendant – Paul and Justin did a fantastic job with the cabin tidying up after 3 women and great when you asked for any requests i.e. extra ice, laundry, towels etc. 10 out of 10.

Service Elsewhere – Hit and miss. Poor around the Ocean view Cafe, in so far as the collection of dishes, staff just wandered around at times aimlessly and I think this is because over a third of Solstice staff had been moved to Equinox. Around the bars you could order quickly but sometimes a bit slow to deliver as they trawled the whole room before returning to the bar to complete the order, however they returned often for any further drinks so once you were used to the service it was fine. Can I just say that the USA normally does service so well, miles better than the UK, but the ship service away from the dining room and cabin did not match other cruise lines. That is not to say that I have anything to complain about, as it is still way better than at most hotels, it is just that previous cruises, service all round has been tremendous.

Entertainment – The shows were average apart fromthe Solstice show, which was great. Bands were fine. Jazz band were a highlight for us late night in the Ensemble lounge, quickly fulfilling requests. Guitarists were good but repetitive. Barber street group were the same enjoyable once or twice but then just sang the same things.

Kids Clubs – A big thumbs down here from us. Our daughters were bored after a few days and didn’t want to go back. I think though this is more of a cultural thing, as the ship is more North American orientated and our daughters just did not mix well with this. We would not cruise again with Celebrity purely on this basis. Kids crew seemed well liked and plenty of others seemed to enjoy the clubs so I’ll blame my kids here.

Ship in General – More beautiful on the inside than from the outside with some lovely rooms and open spaces and the ship other than the pool decks never felt crowded. Pool deck I think is designed for those Alaskan Cruises where an indoor pool is a necessity, but completely useless in the summer in the med. Other than a non-kid quiet space for adults. Lawn club is a waste, smokers allowed all over and this would be much better used as either a adult only pool area or family pool area and the main pool changed to the opposite of this. Frankly if this ship wants to be an all round, all age group ship it will seriously fail here. It is simply too big to be just an adult only focussed ship and it doesn’t give the opportunity for those adults who don’t want kids splashing around them in pools any peace! Shopping areas were vast with some good deals on watches and drinks etc. There are only 2 banks of lifts, forward and just aft of centre and waits just seemed longer than on other ships I have cruised on. Impressive atrium with the tree on deck 7 though.

Ports –

Santorini – Tender tickets were given out on day of arrival, according to Celebrity Today at 0900hrs(I have all 11 days for those interested, just need to find time and a way to get them published) however I went at 0845 and ended up with tender 39!! It seemed that people were queuing earlier and they started giving tickets earlier. We jumped ship by about 1530(arrival 1400) starboard side facing Santorini, for those interested, ashore by 1540, queued for 20 minutes to get up the gondola, 4 euros up, 4 euros down. We spent a couple of hours roaming around and had a few beers at a nice bar/ restaurant with a view out over the ship. (Daughters had been abandoned with my parents by the pool). Gondola down with no wait at 1730 on ship at 1740, made first sitting with virtually no one else in the dining room.

Mykonos – Tender tickets again. Arrival 0700hrs, tickets available at 0700hrs deck 4, but they kept announcing only get tickets when you are ready to leave, so it was more or less, jump straight onto a large local tender for a choppy 10 minute journey right into the town centre. Ship was right by new port. Onto the front and about 10 minute walk to bus station and straight on bus to beach at Platys Gialos, 1 euro 40 cents pp one way. Ticket office by the buses plus automatic machine. We spent the day at the beach 10 euros for 2 beds and an umbrella, with 8 euros discounted off a lovely meal at a restaurant. Took a taxi back to the port for 7 euros 50 cents, followed by a stroll around little Venice and tendered back to the ship, as though on a roller coaster, great for us and the kids who have good stomachs, mine being particularly ample!

Istanbul – Chill by the pool and watch the ship come in for about 1330hrs, great views on the way. We went off the ship at about 1530, as open seating was being offered in the main dining room. Talked to Celebrity staff at exit and it was $12pp for the shuttle bus to Grand Bazaar, so being frugal (cheap to those from the US!) walked out of port around 100yds, turned left, carried on about 400yds, crossed to middle of road where metro station was, paid 4 Turkish Lira for 4 coins to stick in turnstile and jumped on clean, new a/c tram. Stations were clearly marked on the train in Turkish and English, as well as the stops for the various landmarks, Hagia, Blue Mosque, Topkei Palace and where we were going the Grand Bazaar, which was 6 stops along. I believe if you turn right out of the port the tram stop is closer, so one more stop to the Grand Bazaar. Got off at the allotted stop and about 100yds away went into the maze of the Grand Bazaar. Nothing special just thousands of kiosks trying to sell leather goods, gold etc and they will try it on with you price wise. After being fleeced by daughters for some “genuine” converse boots, walked to a little Turkish Delight deli, where we tasted different types before ordering enough to feed a small nation for a month and enjoying the shops hospitality of Turkish coffee/tea and soft drinks for the kids. This is how all shopping should be. Back to the tram buy another 4 coins for 4 lira from the Jeton booth, onto the tram travelling in the opposite direction than before, 6 stops, off and walk 400yds to port. Waved through like returning friends by port security and onto the boat. The moral of the tale is take a chance, ask for help from locals about transport and save around $40 dollars! Enjoy a quicker ride in probably more comfort and see just as many sights. Road traffic is murder at some points. We stayed on the ship had late seating in main dining room and were going to the Flava night but a downpour stopped this from being on deck. Nothing special about it though other than waiters with mezze type food.

We stayed on board the following morning following the normal ritual of Dad getting up to get beds around the pool, staying there whilst everyone else put a library book down or a copy of fitness monthly (Well around 10 copies in one case across 10 beds) and went back to bed.

Kusadasi – Unlike most of the ship who set out for one of the few Ancient Wonders of the world at Ephesus, our daughters demanded a stop at a watermark (Having been denied the opportunity of visiting one by Celebrity’s cancellation of the Rhodes stop, GRRRR). Off we traipsed to Adaland Water Park for a fun day splashing and sliding around. In hindsight, the park is really busy first thing so if you have the cash, you could dash off the ship at 0900hrs, taxi or tour to Ephesus for 4 hrs (It is only about 13miles away) and head to the water park around 1400hrs when it starts to get quieter, although hot floors! You can stay till 1900hrs when it closed and do all the rides umpteen times. Anyway, I digress as what we did was walk out at about 0930hrs, stroll through the lovely port shops and jump a cab for 15 euros (30 Turkish Lira) to the water park. The taxi driver agreed to return for the same fare at 1800hrs. We walked out at 1745 and there he was sitting on a wall. On the way we passed a number of nice looking beaches for those who would rather do that. You can also catch a dolmus to the water park, which would probably save you even more; dolmuses(if that is the plural) were waiting outside to return to Kusadasi. By the way it was 42 Turkish Lira for anyone over 9yrs to get into the water park. In turkey it was cheaper to pay lira than dollars or euros.

Athens – Arrive 0800hrs, to terminal B, which is miles away from where smaller ships dock. Anyway off the ship at 0830, pass signs in terminal stating taxi to Athens approx. 13 euros, to swarms of taxi drivers (or there plural rip off artists!) asking for 30 euros to the Acropolis one way. When I said it was only about a 7 mile journey I was called arrogant (in English, by the way) and promptly walked out of the port about 10 mins, jumped on a 1 euro pp bus (travel on all forms of bus, train, metro for 75 mins) validated ticket and road 6 stops to train station, jumped on train to Monestika (excuse the spelling) jumped onto the metro for one stop, change line, one stop again to the Akropoli. Out of the station 150yd walk to the queue for the kiosk to pay for entry, 12-euro pp, kids under 12 free and slogged up the hill to the Parthenon. It was roasting at the top (Daughters considered calling Childline on their mobiles). Fortunately a couple of water fountains at the top and some great views past the throng of humanity that are fellow tourists. Walked down the hill, much easier this way, I did consider rolling, to flatten a route but was dissuaded on the grounds of possible litigation for flattening a historic site. Grabbed a lemon slush and wandered back to the metro, grabbed another 1 euro ticket, although got 4 for the price of 3 here and reversed our journey to the port, jumping on the 843 bus outside the station at Piraeus to close to Terminal B. Back on board for 1230 and lunch and a splash by the pool.

Naples – Arrived early and spent time by a virtually empty pool, got off the ship around 1330hrs, strolled all of 150yds out of the port, up a side street and enjoyed fantastic antipasti, pizza, beer, ice cream and an opera singing waiter for 40 euros for the 4 of us. Strolled back to the ship and chilled by the pool again.

Disembarkation – Just as easy as getting on, off the ship grab luggage waiting in prescribed place and out to the smiling Rome Cabs man with my name on his sign, it was 0845hrs and 45 mins later, we were checking into the Hilton Garden Inn at Rome Airport. Managed to get straight into two rooms dumped the luggage and had a snooze before jumping the courtesy bus to the airport, making to the train station and getting the train to the shopping mall Parco Leonardo for 2 euros pp return on the local train, one stop away. Into what could be a shopping mall anywhere (apart from Italian spoken here) and spent a few hrs searching out bargains. For those interested there is a large supermarket here. Got the train back to the airport, jumped the courtesy bus back to the hotel, had a lovely bath and then had some more fantastic food in a very busy airport hotel restaurant. So good if I lived close by I would eat there!

After a good nights sleep, jumped the bus back to the airport and flew home to the UK, holiday over.

As stated before, I would not cruise Celebrity again, but only because it doesn’t suit our present family circumstances. I think that some of the lines previous quality may have been lost by the sheer size of the ship and perhaps the loss of staff to the new ship. Also for a European, tours were not varied enough. I understand that a visit to Europe, may be a once in a lifetime opportunity for a North American, to see these historic sites, but for us it is only a 2 – 3 hrs trip away from most of them. As was said at the cruise connection meeting, where are the fun trips offered by other lines to the same ports.

However, I would still say we had a great time and would return to Rome in a heartbeat.

Happy to answer any queries and for any UK people travelling on this voyage we have some unused Rome metro bus tickets and Mykonos bus tickets that I could send (4 of each to be precise)

Hi - thanks for review, we too are British and taking two kids on this Eastern Med cruise departing 18th Sept, your review was very helpful!! We are in FOV cabin too - 7108. Info on food good too, I have feeling we may eat long taverna lunches in greece then just grab something at the buffet in evening or in the bistro - the word "crepes" is tempting!!

How did you do your tips out of interest? I veryconfused about it - we have not prepaid but am told that everyone has to?

Tips were automatically added to your shipboard account each day and every drink or service you use adds 15% automatically onto. The tv system allows you access to your account at all times, so you can see what everyone attached to your cabin is spending.By the way it is $11.50 per person per day, no reduction for the kids, so you'll need to budget for around $485 just for the tips. Cabin staff and wait staff were definitely worth it. We had room 7108, so most likely you will have our cabin stewards, Paul and Justin. Paul is in charge and Justin I think does the dog work. Any way they were great. Re the cabin, beware occasionally staff may be on the direct landing in front off the two picture windows when you are about to enter port, so don't yank open the curtains in the buff! Also other thing to note is that, when landing and exiting at ports there is significant noise for about 30 secs to a minute, either an anchor or a door just forward and below the cabin being opened and closed. Nothing that will drive you mad but just something to be aware of for the early morning ports, Mykonos, naples and the late night departure from Kusadasi. Works as an alarm clock though? Please feel free to ask questions about the cabin etc, I'll try and remember what things were like. We loved the space and privacy from the kids as we could shut the door while they were watching a movie. By the way they have free on demand movies on the tv system, probably about 50 to 60, roughly speaking films that are coming out on DVD in the Uk now are just coming onto the system. My daughter wanted to watch 17 again over and over again! We used the phone as an alarm clock, as it had a wake up call function. TV also had access to music, kind of ipod like but the variety was not great and you could not set up a play list or work out where certain artists would be in the genres.It was nice to have some music on when getting ready for dinner. I would also mention that jeans were acceptable in the dining room on casual evenings as long as they were not holey

Hi - thanks for review, we too are British and taking two kids on this Eastern Med cruise departing 18th Sept, your review was very helpful!! We are in FOV cabin too - 7108. Info on food good too, I have feeling we may eat long taverna lunches in greece then just grab something at the buffet in evening or in the bistro - the word "crepes" is tempting!!

How did you do your tips out of interest? I veryconfused about it - we have not prepaid but am told that everyone has to?

I do have the dailies, although some of the inserts are not there i.e some of the offers for gems, excursions and spa deals. It is like everything else, finding the time to scan them onto the computer and download them to some site or other. Afraid I am a bit of a tech. relic. Might need some suggestions from those more savie to assist this and of course am back to work with a mountain of washing and household work to be done(not forgeting the cleaning, cooking, taxi service and money lending service for two daughters!)

Thanks simmydw. That was a wonderful review. Do you happen to have copies of the "Dailies" for this 11 day Eastern Mediterranean cruise? Thank you for all your help.

Sorry, cannot remember the name. Directions were straight out of the portcross the main street at lights, turn right, immediately leftinto side strett and first restaurant was the singing waiter. He was italian but had married an English woman and lived for sometime each year in Southampton, sometime on the ships out to Australia and some time in the restaurant in Naples.

I enjoyed your review--- What was the name of the rest. in Naples with the singing waiter-- or can you provide directions--that sounds like fun!

Thanks simmydw. I do hope you have the time to scan the "Dailies" for this 11 day cruise onto the computer. I wish I could help you with how to download them to some site but I am a non-tech person. Is there anyone who can help with suggestions to assist with this? Thank you for all your help.

I will try and scan them into the computer and then get them onto a website some time this week.

Thanks simmydw. I do hope you have the time to scan the "Dailies" for this 11 day cruise onto the computer. I wish I could help you with how to download them to some site but I am a non-tech person. Is there anyone who can help with suggestions to assist with this? Thank you for all your help.

We did this cruise, flying from Heathrow. We thoughtbthe whole experience and holiday was fab. You can ask for the gratuities to be taken from your account and we then gave envelopes (with money) to our two cabin stewards, two waiters and the sommelier.

Very nice review Simmydw- love the british slant on things!

A few very specific Athens questions - where is the bus stop for the #843 in relation to the cruise port, and how close is the newsagent where you buy the bus tickets? How many fellow cruisers knew of this bus and was it a scrum? You got the €12 ticket - is that the one that covers entrance to 5 museums, if not do you know how much that one was?

Many thanks.

Albert,

The bus station was about a walk of about 10 mins to get out of the port and then a minute to the station. The ticket office was a small grey cubicle, only big enough for one person to sit in it and nothing else. We were about one of only maybe 3 families that made the walk at the time we did it and none of them got on the bus we got. The person we got the tickets from told us which bus to get on. On the way back it was the same bus number to get back to the port, although the person in the little hut suggested another option. Being honest with you we only went to see the Acropolis and due to the heat just wanted to see it and get back to the ship and the cool!

Very nice review Simmydw- love the british slant on things!

A few very specific Athens questions - where is the bus stop for the #843 in relation to the cruise port, and how close is the newsagent where you buy the bus tickets? How many fellow cruisers knew of this bus and was it a scrum? You got the €12 ticket - is that the one that covers entrance to 5 museums, if not do you know how much that one was?

Many thanks.

Standing facing the Pantheon, go to the left side, just about level with the building there is a little side street called Via del Seminario. It is on that road. I saw it recommended on Slow Italy.com. They can show you a google earth like map of the restaurant on the site

...and can you give directions to Restaurant La Sagrestia in Rome. If I say,stand facing Pantheon with McDonalds behind me -how do I get there please?

My Aunt was just on the Solstice with her Family, and after like 30 or so cruises said the food was better then most so odd to hear that, I guess everyone is different in food taste!

Also the service she said was as good as her Crystal Cruises eps since so many more passengers on the Solstice, I am not sure how much it can very from 1-2 weeks but I guess it did

Happy sailing

You are so right all parts of a holiday are unique to the individual. The view from my extended family on this one was that it was not up to Celebrity standards of previous cruises.

My Aunt was just on the Solstice with her Family, and after like 30 or so cruises said the food was better then most so odd to hear that, I guess everyone is different in food taste!

Also the service she said was as good as her Crystal Cruises eps since so many more passengers on the Solstice, I am not sure how much it can very from 1-2 weeks but I guess it did

Happy sailing

Archived