Tram Way, is it worth it?

CyndiNYC

Ive heard that the Paradise tram way is close to the port and it gives a great view of the island and it goes to where there are lots of restuarants and shopping. Is this true? Is it worth it? My hubby and i are going on our first cruise and we want to do shopping and sight seeing in St. THomas.

Just back from St Thomas. . .didn't do the tram because I read that it wasn't worth it. I booked a tour with Godfrey for $20 pp. He picked us up from the ship, drove us downtown for 3 hours of shopping. He then took us on a 2 1/2 hour tour of the island, including mountaintop where the view was spectacular and you could get one of their famous banana daiquiris (sp?). Then off for 2 hours at one of three beaches (your choice) Magan's Bay, Coki Beach or Sapphire Beach. We went to Sapphire which was just wonderful. Godfrey then dropped us off right at the ship. Just a wonderful day!

We spent 10 days in St Thomas/St John in Nov. Had been there numerous times while on a cruise and had never done the Paradise Point Tram because it was $16/person! While on our recent land vacation discovered Wed nights from 5 - 9 pm it is free so jumped at the chance. So glad we never paid $16! While it does provide a nice view I don't think it was any nicer view than if you had a cab take you on a tour of the islands up in the hills/mountains. As for shopping at the top of the tram, there are some shops but not an abundance. It is within easy walking distance of the ship terminal, but I would say pass and move on to other activities unless you just happen to have $32 burning a hole in your pocket!

If you're interested in sightseeing and shopping while in St. Thomas, don't bother with the tram. Yes, the view is gorgeous from the top, but you'd be better off doing an island tour by taxi. As far as shopping, there are a few shops at the top of the tram, but not many. Stick with Havensight or downtown Charlotte Amalie for shopping. The restaurant at the top of the tram does serve a pretty good roast beef sandwich, though - and of course the fabulous bushwackers!

Archived