Recent Explorer cruisers?

Hi- Would enjoy hearing from any cruisers who have been on the Explorer out of Cape Liberty in the past year. Have read the reviews, but looking for more opinions.

For instance, how was the port and has anyone done the RCI hotel/transfer package at the Hilton Penn?

What is the earliest you can board? Thanks in advance for any information.

Was on the Explorer the end of July. I live only 30 minutes away from the port, and it was very easy to find. There are signs everywhere directing you to the terminal. It is in an industrial area not too far off the main highway. I arrived around 10:30ish, and there was hardly anyone around. Husbands let us off right in front of the terminal entrance, dropped off the luggage, and then they parked the car within walking distance. Went right through check-in, received a number for the shuttle pass, and waited until about 11:30ish to board. You take a shuttle with your carry-ons a short distance and hop on the ship. Rooms weren't ready until 1:30ish, but looked around the ship and went up to the Windjammer buffet for lunch. Coming off the ship was not as easy (express check-off for me where you take your own luggage off and take it all on the return shuttle), because many people are doing it at the same time--but still not too bad. Easy enough experience!

Where are you coming from in New England? Are you flying? The hotels at Newark airport are inexpensive - much less than the cruise transfer hotels. The Newark Hilton Penn Station is good if you want to run in and out of NY, but otherwise it is pricey. You can take a cab to the port or arrange a car service. Much better than the cruise transfer, because you will have to wait around for them to fill the bus and will have to go to the port on their schedule. I sailed on the Explorer in February and am going again in September. I also stayed at the airport Holiday Inn in April. Give us more details about what you are planning.

We like to get to the port around 11 am. By the time I park the car and get through the check-ins, there's time to have some cookies and a beverage, read a little bit, and then off to the ship on the shuttle bus. For us the first stop is the Windjammer for lunch before the crowds arrive. The rooms become available between 1 and 1:30. I check the dining room table assignment. You can also make specialty dining reservations and/or excursion reservations.

Was on the Explorer the end of July. I live only 30 minutes away from the port, and it was very easy to find. There are signs everywhere directing you to the terminal. It is in an industrial area not too far off the main highway. I arrived around 10:30ish, and there was hardly anyone around. Husbands let us off right in front of the terminal entrance, dropped off the luggage, and then they parked the car within walking distance. Went right through check-in, received a number for the shuttle pass, and waited until about 11:30ish to board. You take a shuttle with your carry-ons a short distance and hop on the ship. Rooms weren't ready until 1:30ish, but looked around the ship and went up to the Windjammer buffet for lunch. Coming off the ship was not as easy (express check-off for me where you take your own luggage off and take it all on the return shuttle), because many people are doing it at the same time--but still not too bad. Easy enough experience!

How easy or difficult was the express check-off and what time did you get off the ship?

Will be taking the Explorer next April, never left from Bayonne before. Is the disembarkation process the same as going aboard except in reverse: that is, can one person stand with the claimed luggage and another go get the car and pick up the rest of the party and the luggage? Or is that a real zoo, and the best thing would be to just trudge to the parking lot together and go from there?

I'm really confused about disembarkment. Do we carry ALL of our luggage on the shuttle bus when we get off the ship or just carry ons?:confused:

Just your carry-ons unless you select the express departure. With Express Departure you are the first group off the ship but you have to drag your luggage with you.

We were on the EOS in april. Stayed at the Hilton Penn Station mainly because DH has a niece in NY and we took train into visit her. We also did RCI transfer from hotel to terminal and terminal to airport. Hotel was wonderful but I would not recommend the transfers. Bus picked us up promptly and we left hotel at 11:00. Got to terminal and sat in a parking lot for 3 hrs!!! We could see the ship and people walking on top. We were told they could only take one bus at a time, but all the others were going. At terminal sat on bus another 30 minutes while these longshoremen kept coming on bus wanting money to unload luggage. Finally got off bus and in about 30 minutes was on the ship just in time for muster. Worse transfer I have ever taken. The hotel was great but I would take a taxi next time.

I've never used the cruise transfer from Newark to Bayonne, but having sailed from Bayonne several times I would advise against it. You have absolutely no control with a bus transfer. They pick you up when they want to and apparently how long the bus waits at Cape Liberty can depend on the other bus traffic. Are you committed to the transfer or can you get out of it?

Will be taking the Explorer next April, never left from Bayonne before. Is the disembarkation process the same as going aboard except in reverse: that is, can one person stand with the claimed luggage and another go get the car and pick up the rest of the party and the luggage? Or is that a real zoo, and the best thing would be to just trudge to the parking lot together and go from there?

The easiest is to get a porter. He will take your luggage through customs and all the way to your car. You can stand with the luggage and send one person for the car, but the porter is much quicker and easier....well worth a few $$ for the tip! :D

How easy or difficult was the express check-off and what time did you get off the ship?

You arrange a few days ahead of time for your self-departure. They gave me a slip saying depart between 8:15-8:30 am. No one ever took the slip, but at that time the elevators were already getting backed up with people and their luggage. Once I was able to get an elevator, the wait to get off the ship was about 5 minutes and another 10 to get a shuttle. Not too bad...other lines are better--many worse to self-disembark.

The easiest is to get a porter. He will take your luggage through customs and all the way to your car. You can stand with the luggage and send one person for the car, but the porter is much quicker and easier....well worth a few $$ for the tip! :D

Thanks for the info! That's what we'll do.

I haven't tried express (we bring too much stuff) but if you could do it I would recommend it. We have sailed out of Bayonne 2 of our 8 cruises and they were our worst disembar king. We just got home on the 15th - Embarkation was as easy as it gets, disembarking was a nightmare. They left us sitting on an overcrowded shuttlebus with no ventilation for a half hour. Not sure if that is normal but someone said they were having trouble with not enough porters. The traffic is the same flow for the 3000 getting off as the 3000 getting on. It wasn't moving - Our car could not get to us. We finally got in the car at 12:15 to leave the port. With all that said - It still beats flying!

Archived