QM2 Sept 8: COPD, cribbage, knitting and Masons

jlrf

Well, I think that title is as specific as I can make it!

I'm travelling with my father, who has COPD, and wonder if there are ways to avoid his doing too much walking. Yes, I know he could just stay in the cabin, but what I mean is, are there shortcuts to the main venues (Brit dining room, library, Commodore lounge, wherever we can have tea, wherever he can play cards)? If so, are they clearly marked on a ship map? (I've pored over the plans in the brochure but it's very hard to work out what's what.) We're in cabin 5.248, BTW.

I've seen references to card games, but I've also seen that the Atlantic room is a private salon. What does this mean? Can my father find a cribbage game somewhere?

On an old (2007) program, there are knitting and Masonic gatherings (not together--I think). Do these still happen? If there is a Masonic meeting, does my father have to bring his accoutrements?

Thank you!

On an old (2007) program, there are knitting and Masonic gatherings (not together--I think). Do these still happen?

Oh yes, the 'knit your own Mason in ten easy stages' classes proved very popular on my last cruise. I use mine as a doorstop.

Sir Martin

As for the walking...many of the venues you mention -- the Commodore Club, Atlantic Room (card room), Library -- can be accessed via the A stairway. If he were to spend a lot of time in those rooms (all of which have commanding views over the bow, BTW), he could use the elevators in that bank to get around. The Queens Room (tea) and Britannia are both aft. You're pretty far aft, so the D stair would be the most accessible from your cabin. That can take you right down to the front doors of the Britannia, and it MIGHT go to the Queens Room -- I can't quite remember how it works with the whole Deck 3L conundrum. So if you need to access mostly those rooms, you could likely use the A stair during the day, then move aft to the D stair for tea, back up to the cabin to change, and then back down for dinner.

The Atlantic Room is, as far as I've seen, an open card room. The room is used throught the day, however, for a lot of bridge tournaments and lessons. Flipping through a Daily Programme from my May crossing, I'm not seeing any cribbage events, but perhaps when you get onboard, you could chat with some of the social staff and see about getting one together; I'm sure there'll be others onboard who play.

As for knitting, there's usually an "Interest Corner" on needlework and knitting. My Programme says it was at 3PM in the Champagne Bar. My mom, an avid (okay, obsessed) knitter, went every day when we did a crossing on QE2 in 2008, and there were about 10-15 people who showed up every day. They all really hit it off, and often they would gather around 4PM and be kicked out of the Crystal Bar when formal dress came at 6PM.

I don't see anything listed on Masonic gatherings in the Programmes I've skimmed, but I do remember seeing a logbook of meetings in the Boardroom, which is off the Commodore Club, so I may have just missed it. When I saw the book, there had been a meeting already on the crossing, as well as all the recent trips beforehand. Don't know if he'd need the acoutrements; I'm not too well-versed on the Freemasons.

Hope all this helps!

Oh yes, the 'knit your own Mason in ten easy stages' classes proved very popular on my last cruise. I use mine as a doorstop.

Sir Martin

I guess the first session was on holding the needles the special way.

j

I think you will find the deck plans here very easy to follow -

http://www.7blueseas.com/cruiselines/ship.asp?id=116&page=6

In the weeks proior to my QM2 I studied the deck plans and had a notebook with each deck mapped out - made finding my way around much easier and from my cabin (on deck 8) it was only a walk along the corridor to the Library, up the stairs to the Commodore club and down a flight to King's Court. Very convenient! :D

Sorry about my cat's earlier reply. I have locked him in the cellar.

I've got a friend who can't make sense of maps or deckplans. She compiles a list deck by deck of what rooms are where, and whether they are forward, midships or aft, types it up, and takes it everywhere in her handbag. She swears it works.

Mary

I just checked the Dailey Programme for my recent crossings.

At 3 pm most days there was an informal gathering called the "Interest Corner for Needlework and Knitting.

I can find only one listing for a Masonic Brethren Gathering in the Boardroom on deck 9 (this is attached to the Commodore Club) at 12:15 pm.

The best advice I can give you is read your Programme cover-to-cover and use a highlighter to mark things of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to sort of follow up on this, as I too am going to be traveling with my dad who has COPD on the Oct 29th cruise to Canada. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with traveling with this condition and if there is a way to get him oxygen on the cruise if he needs it.

I've gotten a lot of conflicting information about flying with his oxygen (he's coming from New Mexico) and would love some ideas and pointers if you have any.

Thanks!

Have you considered renting him a scooter? CareVacations have some that will fit through a regular door although it may be a bit crowded in the cabin. I rented one on my last cruise and wondered why I waited so long.

I have COPD and can tell you without a doubt that he will get out of breath walking anywhere on that huge ship. As others have said, look at the deck plan and go to the elevator closest to where you are going.

That way you will avoid some of the odd places on the ship where you can't get there from here. LOL

If nothing else, get him a rollator with a seat where he can sit down every few minutes.

Have you considered renting him a scooter? CareVacations have some that will fit through a regular door although it may be a bit crowded in the cabin. I rented one on my last cruise and wondered why I waited so long.

I have COPD and can tell you without a doubt that he will get out of breath walking anywhere on that huge ship. As others have said, look at the deck plan and go to the elevator closest to where you are going.

That way you will avoid some of the odd places on the ship where you can't get there from here. LOL

If nothing else, get him a rollator with a seat where he can sit down every few minutes.

Thank you so much for your advice! I will definitely learn the deck plan.

Unfortunately, my dad is amazingly stubborn and the idea of getting him onto a scooter or rollator is nigh on impossible. He is only newly diagnosed and seems to be in a bit of denial on the severity of his condition. This worries me and is one of the reasons I want to make sure that oxygen is available somehow for him if he needs it. Have you ever taken oxygen with you on a trip or somehow arranged to have it where you were going?

I really appreciate your help.

Your best plan for getting around the ship will be to take an elevator to Deck 7 and do your fore or aft walking there because there are many chairs and places to sit on Deck 7, both inside and on deck; then take another elevator up or down to your destination. Do study the deck plan and always carry the mini version with you; how sinfully good you will feel when you advise the lost folks you encounter that haven't done their home work.

Thank you so much for your advice! I will definitely learn the deck plan.

Unfortunately, my dad is amazingly stubborn and the idea of getting him onto a scooter or rollator is nigh on impossible. He is only newly diagnosed and seems to be in a bit of denial on the severity of his condition. This worries me and is one of the reasons I want to make sure that oxygen is available somehow for him if he needs it. Have you ever taken oxygen with you on a trip or somehow arranged to have it where you were going?

I really appreciate your help.

You should check with special needs department and get their advice on the oxygen. I do not take it with me, but I know you can rent or bring it.

Take him to one of the big box stores that have the scooters and see if he will ride it. There is no need for him to suffer when there are options available to help him.

I just want to sort of follow up on this, as I too am going to be traveling with my dad who has COPD on the Oct 29th cruise to Canada. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with traveling with this condition

Since we're on the Sept 8 crossing, I'll let you know how my dad gets on. His doctor has suggested that he take some steroid tablets with him, as well as his usual puffers, in case the damp air makes him worse.

I know what you mean about denial. My dad refuses to use transportation at airports and sometimes one has to walk for miles.

Where does one find scooters and rollators? What's a rollator?

j

I just want to sort of follow up on this, as I too am going to be traveling with my dad who has COPD on the Oct 29th cruise to Canada. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with traveling with this condition

Since we're on the Sept 8 crossing, I'll let you know how my dad gets on. His doctor has suggested that he take some steroid tablets with him, as well as his usual puffers, in case the damp air makes him worse.

I know what you mean about denial. My dad refuses to use transportation at airports and sometimes one has to walk for miles.

Where does one find scooters and rollators? What's a rollator?

j

This is the one I use, it has big wheels and a seat and folds together

You can rent a scooter from Carevacations and it will be in your cabin when you arrive and you leave it then when you debark. You would need a handicap cabin or at least get one that is 19" wide to fit thru the door.

I bought my rollator at an Ebay medical store.

rollator.jpg.5f2350743a0cc6e500ec71cfee12b78c.jpg

The masonic meetings do not require regalia and are normally arranged by a keen or a number of keen brethren on that particular trip, the are independent of Cunard and really just involve an initial chat, someone volunteers to act as Secretary and then the other officers fall into place. The main intent seems to be to arrange a 'ladies night cocktail party' where the ships officers are invited, especially those with masonic connections. Some monies are collected and given to a maritime charity. Sounds exciting doesn't it.

I just want to sort of follow up on this, as I too am going to be traveling with my dad who has COPD on the Oct 29th cruise to Canada. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with traveling with this condition and if there is a way to get him oxygen on the cruise if he needs it.

I've gotten a lot of conflicting information about flying with his oxygen (he's coming from New Mexico) and would love some ideas and pointers if you have any.

Thanks!

I asked my father about yours. He said that first I should tell you that he was diagnozed about 12 years ago and is still a stubborn old . . . person . . . who refuses to accept his limitations and accept any aids that will draw attention to him.

But he also said that if your father's on oxygen at home, he should have access to it when he's away, too. I contacted that Carevacations company that people have recommended here (http://www.cruiseshipassist.com/) and they answered my questions very promptly. They have oxygen as well as the scooters.

He also said that when he took a Panama canal cruise earlier this year, he was able to work around the shup, albeit slowly, without any distress. (He isn't (yet) on oxygen, though.

Finally, he said--and you probably know this--that if your father does have difficulty breathing, you should encourage him to relax. Apparently the tendency is to panic and that makes it worse.

Hope this helps.

j

Thanks, everyone, for your help and support. I have done the research about the oxygen, called Cunard and they gave me info on three companies: CareVacations, Special Needs At Sea, and Travel 02. They all do rentals of oxygen. I gave all the information to my father and we'll see if he pursues it. Like I said before, he is very, VERY stubborn and is saying he doesn't need any of it! :rolleyes: For his and all of our sakes, I hope he's right. Believe me, it is very frustrating.

We will definitely be encouraging him to relax and not push too much and just take it all slowly.

Archived