What to do in Huatulco?

CaribbeanBound

There will be taxi's available at the pier that you can take into town. Prices are posted I believe--it's a couple of bucks. There are shops at the pier and lots of vendors selling boat rides/snorkeling. If you go out of the pier area and down the street you will find some open air vendors. There is also a beach area with a small restaurant/bar a short walk down from where you will dock.

I would suggest getting out to see some of the area if you can. This is the next planned development for the Mexican government much like Cabo and Cancun. The area is underdevelped now and very beautiful, but that will rapidly change. I just wish I could afford to buy a piece of paradise now as prices will be climbing once they get the infrastructure in place!

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

There is an excellent restaurant, but I can't remember the name. After you take a taxi to the little town square, if you are looking and facing east, then the restaurant is on the upper right hand corner. Best mole I have had in years.

We just walked around town and then went down the beach. Snorkeling was just o.k.

We visited Huatulco in January of 2007; and, enjoyed its low-key environment. We simply walked through the town, and then went over the hill a couple of miles to the next bay over from the port. There were several simple cafes on the sand where we just sat under the canopy, sipping a couple of inexpensive beers. We then negotiated with one of palapa (small boat) operators to take us back to the cruise dock. I think we paid $5 for two people (plus we gave him a couple of bucks as a tip). Nice views of the town from the hill. We did pass a military installation with armed guys guarding the site. No problem from them, however. You can rent snorkel gear on the beach where we spent our time. There are also plenty of cabs if you want to NOT walk in either direction.

so basically a DO ON YOUR OWN kinda port...people friendly.....many shops

better to walk or take a taxi somewhere??? alot of walking if you dont want to take the taxi to town?

THANKS will be there in dec and not sure what to do...new STOP for us!!

We also will be there in Feb/March part of the HAL 30 day cruise. This is a new port for us and will be there for 2 days. Good question, what to do for 2 days!!!??? Love to snorkel,is it good there and where? Any fruit markets or just the same souviner things that every port has? Are there orchids /wildlife to see? Thank you---Diane

Can you expand on your snorkelling experience. We are only going to be there for 5 hours but were interested in snorkelling. What was the cost and how close to the cruise terminal + is there good and bad snorkelling trips to go on or is the whole area generally the same.

There is an excellent restaurant, but I can't remember the name. After you take a taxi to the little town square, if you are looking and facing east, then the restaurant is on the upper right hand corner. Best mole I have had in years.

We just walked around town and then went down the beach. Snorkeling was just o.k.

Archived