Grandeur/Baltimore 5 day Bermuda-just back!

mamagina - We're on the 7-night Bermuda sailing leaving Oct 3 and have discussed going to Ft Catherine and the beach there. We will be docked at King's Wharf and plan on taking the ferry over to St. George. How far is it to Ft Catherine from there? Within walking distance?

We docked at about 10:15. we got off the ship at 10:30 and walked over to the ferry and got on line. As soon as the ferry to hamilton pulled out ours pulled in, loaded up and pulled out exactly at 11:00. We arrived in St. George at about 10min to 12 and began to walk towards Tobacco Bay/St. Catherines (we walked last year and it took about 20 minutes up and then down a hill--You reach Tobacco Bay first and then you follow the street and come upon St. Cathrines abouot 5 minutes later) It was SOOO HOT so we turned around and took a cab for $6 (for all three of us). There was a shuttle that was charging $5 pp-cab was cheaper! It was about a 4 minute cab ride. No problem at all. However, there are no facilities at all at St. Catherines and we were not wearing our suits. The cab driver told us that the restaurant across the street-Blackbeards-was open and we could change and buy food and drink there. We walked up the hill to Blackbeards and it wasn't open. There is anther small beach with a sea wall behind Blackbeards. We walked to the fort and asked if we could use the restrooms and they said ok without charging us the admission to see the fort ($7). We would have gone in to see it but it was SOOOOO HOT! We hung out at St. Catherine's until about 3pm and then walked over to Tobacco Bay to snorkel. People were leaving as we got there so it wasn't so crowded. We stayed until about 5:15pm and then caught a cab back to St. George ($6 for all three) for the 6:05 ferry back to the dockyard. We were quite early so we sat on the dock and watched boys jump from the ferry ramp doing tricks into the water. It was a perfect (and very easy) day. We were back at the Dockyard by 7:00pm

Glad you had a great time! We are sailing this same cruise Sept 5. How was the traffic/transportation there? We really want to rent scooters but have a heard a lot of bad thigns about it. What did the Dockayrd festivites consits of on Monday night? Also, I did an intereior guarentee and Im on Deck 2 all the way in the back center. This is our first cruise but should I try to upgrade to a better room? Any thoughts?

Did you bring your own equipment or could you rent it

We always bring our own snorkel equipment. That way we know who's mouth it has been in. We don't have expensive gear, just some we picked up at KMart on clearance sale. I've used the same stuff for several years and never have a problem.

I think we paid about $15-$20 for the whole outfit so it's paid for itself many times over. Grab some now while all the sales are on.

Glad you had a great time! We are sailing this same cruise Sept 5. How was the traffic/transportation there? We really want to rent scooters but have a heard a lot of bad thigns about it. What did the Dockayrd festivites consits of on Monday night? Also, I did an intereior guarentee and Im on Deck 2 all the way in the back center. This is our first cruise but should I try to upgrade to a better room? Any thoughts?

We only took the ferry and a cab this time. We took busses last year too. The bus drivers go very fast. I would be nervous on a scooter around the busses. That being said, we rented scooters years ago and had a great time. You always hear about problems but you really see so many people on them. They were very easy to rent right next to the ship. Dockyard on Monday night had lots of tents and craft vendors. A few bands on a large stage from about 7:00- until about 11:00 including Goombay dancers and drummers in traditional costume. The stores stayed open until 10pm. Then the festivities continued on the ship with a midnight buffet and dance party on the pool deck. We took an interior guarantee also and at first got a deck 2 near the back of the ship which was a category "M" cabin. Our friends and daughter had an interior "L" on deck 4. We just called and asked to be moved closer to them and the reservationist said she could only move us to another M not to an L on 4 so she moved us to a cabin right below them (so we would use the same elevator bank and be in the same muster station) which was an "M." We would have had to pay $100 more per person for an "L." All of our cabins were exactly the same and before we disembarked at the end of the cruise we walked around the whole ship and the outsides and even the regular balcony rooms really have the same set up and floorspace-AND exactly the same bathroom. One benefit of the lower level was that you are closer to the exit in port (deck 2) so you get to the gangway easier and you get back to your room without having to wait with everyone for the elevators when you get back on board.

It was the first cruise for our friends too (our 24th-we have stayed in every possible type of cabin along the way-our last cruise in March we took a balcony because the price was right!) and after the first night they were sorry that they didn't have an outside because they thought it was weird to have the room dark in the morning. By the next day when they realized that you really spend minimal time in the cabin they said that they did not think it would have been worth the extra money for an outside cabin (only $69pp). They also slept very well! Also, they are now completely hooked on cruising and they were soooooo skeptical before. It took us years to convince them to join us--that is why we went on the 5 day--they would not commit to a week and now they are looking at 9-12 day cruises!!! LOL! Keep watching the RCL website for price reductions and you might wind up with a upgrade. Also watch or call for specials. Our friends quaified for a senior rate (55+) about two weeks before we sailed and got a price break of $150 pp and were able to lock in the L cabin on deck 4. We paid $50 more pp for our guarantee because we were not old enough. We were totally fine in our room--loved it--It was small but believe it or not, it was larger than other insides we have had on newer ships! The Grandeur is an older ship but it is laid out very nicely and the cabins are fine and even larger than most.--144-156 square feet compared to 126 sq ft on other ships!

Did you bring your own equipment or could you rent it.

Thanks

Brought our own masks and snorkels. We didn't feel like carrying fins this time and didn't miss them. We got all the way out to the rocks in tobacco bay and out to the end of the fort at the snorkel park without them. We also had our own umbrellas which came in handy. I was sorry I didn't bring my small beach chairs. We really could have with driving to the port and we definately had room in the cabin closet to store them. Yes, if you have room in your luggage, see if you can pick up something at K-mart or Toys r Us. It will work fine. We just picked up three sets of very light floatable fins for $5 each pair at a beach store end of season sale in Long Branch, NJ. You could rent at both the snorkel park and Tobacco Bay. I think it was about $20.

I sailed her out of Tampa on a 6/5 in January.. been on the JOS and LOS, this was a beautifully maintained vessel. Ask for Ava as your server, what a treat she makes the dining experience while aboard. all in all, well cleaned, smooth sailing and wonderful experiences aboard. cant wait to sail her again!

your old pal

Can you rent equipment at Horseshoe Bay

Thanks

I don't know if there is much to see snorkeling at horseshoe. It is not a cove--although there is a small cove on the right. There are waves and not much coral. There are lots of big rocks and coral at Tobacco Bay and the snorkle park. I don't know if they rent any snorkel equipment. they do rent chairs and umbrellas.

Archived