Port charges?

tamsam07

Are there port charges that we have to pay? What can I expect to pay for once I'm onboard the cruise, besides the normal drinks, tips, excursions (if i take any)? Are there irons in the cabins?

I'm finding out there are alot of things I should've asked about when booking my cruise, but being a first timer I had no idea what questions to ask. The agent didn't offer any other information or ask me if I was interested in purchasing anything else. I wasn't informed about drink packages, spa packages or anything special to add. I understand you can have things like fruit baskets or champagne w/chocolate covered strawberries waiting in your room (for a price of course).

How is one to know any of this if they don't advertise on their website or tell you about it? What else am I missing out on that I might find out about later. Oh yeah, I just found out about them taking pictures of you while you're onboard. I feel like I'm going into the unknown unprepared.

BTW, we are going on the Peosia in September, if that info helps.

Although European cruises do differ, I can tell you that the port fees are included in the cruise. You will have to pay for excursions, although the ones that MSC has to pick from are very reasonable. You also have the knowledge that if something were to happen within the tour and you are late getting back, the ship will wait. If you do a private tour this is not the case. Go to the shows, they are the best! The spa is beautiful and it has many things to do there. The turkish steam rooms and saunas, as well as some hot tubs overlooking the ocean and a really nice vitamin/juice bar. Enjoy your cruise!

Walk around the ship and see everything...the decor is gorgeous!

7 What can I expect to pay for once I'm onboard the cruise, besides the normal drinks, tips, excursions (if i take any)? Are there irons in the cabins?

I'm finding out there are alot of things I should've asked about when booking my cruise, but being a first timer I had no idea what questions to ask. The agent didn't offer any other information or ask me if I was interested in purchasing anything else. I wasn't informed about drink packages, spa packages or anything special to add. I understand you can have things like fruit baskets or champagne w/chocolate covered strawberries waiting in your room (for a price of course).

I just found out about them taking pictures of you while you're onboard. I feel like I'm going into the unknown unprepared. .

Hi Tamsam07

I'll try to answer the questions not already answered by camofwilliamsburg.

You pay extra for drinks, use of the steam room or sauna, room service (but not breakfast room service), excursions, anything bought in the shops, bars or coffee shop, spa treatments, laundry service and excursions. You will alos pay extra if you go to the speciality restaurant rather than the buffet or dining rooms. Tea and coffe and juice are included at breakfast but not at other meals. there are some water dispensers around the ship. At meals in the ding room, if you want water, they will offer still or sparkling bottles of water (extra) It is quite hard to get free tap water on European sailings

Deatils of spa and drinks packages that can be bought in advance through your TA are in the brouchure - or your TA should have the details. Drinks packages can also be bought onboard.

There are no irons in the cabin as they are a fire hazard. The ship will iron anything for you for a charge

Fruit bowls are provided free of charge in every cabin. Things like the chocolate coated strawberries are extra and avilable through room service or can be pre-ordered through your TA

Yes there are photographers onboard for those passengers who want their photo taken. They take caasual shots at embarkation and at varous points throughout the cruise. You can decline to have your photo taken. they are not pushy and will respect your wishes. Even if they take your photo, you are not obliged to purchase it, unless youwant to - there is no hard sell. On formal evenings they set up for proper portrait phots. You have to approach them if you want your photos taken. They will not just take your photo as you walk past. You have to pose for them.

Deatils of spa and drinks packages that can be bought in advance through your TA are in the brouchure - or your TA should have the details. Drinks packages can also be bought onboard.

There are no irons in the cabin as they are a fire hazard. The ship will iron anything for you for a charge

Fruit bowls are provided free of charge in every cabin. Things like the chocolate coated strawberries are extra and avilable through room service or can be pre-ordered through your TA.

Thanks Cam and Amo for the info. I read that purchasing the packages in advance is cheaper than when you get onboard. However, I did not use a TA, I booked directly with MSC. I also wanted to pre-order the strawberries since those too may be cheaper to get in advance. Do you know how many different packages they offer? I wasn't given any other information from the MSC agent when I booked, so I'm at a loss as to what choices I get. Does this information come in the documents they mail to you?

tamsam07 AmoMondo suggested I look at this site when I was asking questions as you are. I found it very helpful explaining most things about MSC. Also I think I have read every post that AmoMondo has written ever since we booked months ago. She and others here have all the answers for people like us who are new to this shipping line. I just hope we can remember everything when we sail in about 3 weeks.

http://www.msccruisesusa.com/guidaallacrociera//onboard-msc-cruises

tamsam07

i recommend you get a copy of the latest brochure - it has a lot of extra info that will not be included with your tickets. Plus the packages are best ordered before your tickets are issued, so that they can make sure that the vouchers for them are included with your tickets when they send them

There is a PDF version of the brochure on their website to download

The lady was so nice. She told me all the packages they offer.

I got my husband the beer package, which is a pretty good deal. A variety of beers (14) for $38.

I also got Spumante and chocolate covered strawberries waiting for us in our cabin for $35. How romantic :D

Thanks again Amo, you're always so helpful and knowledgeable.

I saw another thread where you said you've taken a few MSC excursions. Have you taken any in Izmir?

No tamsam07. I only did the excursions on my first 2 cruises, then i switched to doing ports on my own.

Glad to hear you got your packages sorted out and it will be very nice to start your cruise off so romantically

Archived