Drink prices in port...

retroPK

I'm sure the prices vary depending on which port but does anyone know the approximate $$ for beer, foo foo drinks etc.? For instance, thinking about taking it easy at Marguaritaville in Grand Turk and sippin on a few cocktails but hoping not to break the bank doing so!! Is it more expensive than the prices on the ship? Thanx!

instance, thinking about taking it easy at Marguaritaville in Grand Turk and sippin on a few cocktails but hoping not to break the bank doing so!!

We ordered 3 Margaritas at Margaritaville in Grand Cayman in June and it was $36 before a tip!!!:eek: I don't know about you but my bank can't handle many drinks at that price and we just about fell out of seats. :p

We ordered 3 Margaritas at Margaritaville in Grand Cayman in June and it was $36 before a tip!!!:eek: I don't know about you but my bank can't handle many drinks at that price and we just about fell out of seats. :p

I bought a Landshark beer at M-ville in Grand Turk and it was about $6.40, but that included a 15% tip which is built into price.

Holy moly :eek: Guess I'll be rethinking this "excursion" lol...or taking really really tiny sips!

Holy moly :eek: Guess I'll be rethinking this "excursion" lol...or taking really really tiny sips!

Of course there is always the CRUISIN' WAY..... just smuggle you some liquor or beer in your back pack ~~!!~~

If you want to go to a place like Margaritaville and get waited on and drink, yes it is expensive. If you are asking if you can find cheap beer in port, that's a yes. There is usually a grocery store nearby and you can pick up your alcohol and ice and head to the beach with a cooler.

DrInks at all those tourist trap places (Margaritaville/Senor Frog etc) are a rip.

Be on the look out for drug stores, super markets or even just plain whole in the wall looking places. You can tell how far your $ will go by what they charge for beer. From recent memories:

Beer prices from last two years:

CCL (incl tip) domestic $6

Princess (incl tip ) $4.25 Alaskan Brewing Summer Ale

Stone Island (near Mazatlan) $1 Pacifico

Walmart in Puerto vallarta $3.50 for 6 pack of Tecate

From bar in Cozumel $5 for Corona

Drug store in Roatan - $.80

From market in Belize $1 or so for a Belikan

and, the winner of the best deal for beer is...

Colon, Panama! I forget what it was called, but locally made beer (not bad by the way) goes for $.40-$.50 a can/bottle.

If you want to go to a place like Margaritaville and get waited on and drink, yes it is expensive. If you are asking if you can find cheap beer in port, that's a yes. There is usually a grocery store nearby and you can pick up your alcohol and ice and head to the beach with a cooler.

Great idea - Thanx! Never thought of that :o

Is it safe to say this is allowed?

As was said previously, if you stay out of the big name touristy places, you can find reasonable and even cheap beer and drinks. I like trying all the local brews and most seem to be in the 1-3 dollar range in Mexico and the Carribean. Have fun!

There are few places cruise ships go, where you cannot drink beer on the beach. If there was a port of call in Saudi Arabia, for instance, I may not try this :D.

Also, if the beach is on the property of a hotel which has a bar, it may not be cool, but most beaches have public areas. I know Bermuda has all beaches public up to the high water line.

We did the cooler thing on Half Moon Cay, but brougt the beer from home. There are no grocery stores there.

I was at Margaritaville in Grand Turk back in January and I paid a little under $10 for a frozen strawberry margarita. I thought it was kind of expensive, but I also sat by their pool for 4 hrs and watched their entertainment and listened to their DJ's. So whe. You take that into account, it's not all that bad. However, I didn't buy anymore because I wanted to conserve funds. This was my first time at a Margartaville so I had to go there. There is a nice beach right by the pier, so you could do as was suggested and get a cooler and drink on the beach. But I don't know if this is legal, I did see people drinking, but you might want to find out about the local law before you go. I also don't know where you could buy beer, but this doesn't mean you couldn't bring your own. Enjoy your cruise!

This is exactly what we did on our cruise two weeks ago. In St Johns we went to a mini mart and bought two coolers....styrofoam kind......got a case of Carib for $14 and some ice.....one of our favorite days. Next day in St Maarten we brought one of the coolers with us filled it with ice and a case of carib again...this time it was only $13. We bought a few other drinks at a bar and i think they were 7 dollars or so.

So buy a cheap cooler and fill it up and find a beach and ENJOY!

sandi

Archived